Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT?: Hail damage and State Farm settlement

Little brick bungalow in large midwest US city, detached garage. Scraped and
shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

About how much might a midwest US (i.e. St. Louis) contractor get to scrape and
shingle (per square)? I'll come out to something like 12 (house) + 6 (garage) =
18 total squares (actually closer to 17).

Thx,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2012 7:52 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

Little brick bungalow in large midwest US city, detached garage. Scraped and
shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

About how much might a midwest US (i.e. St. Louis) contractor get to scrape and
shingle (per square)? I'll come out to something like 12 (house) + 6 (garage) =
18 total squares (actually closer to 17).

Thx,

16 years old, you're lucky you got anythin.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/9/2012 7:52 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:

shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

That doesn't seem bad to me--'96 means you got 16 years out of it;
that's over half even if was a 30-yr and they took 40-something%.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:52:51 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Little brick bungalow in large midwest US city, detached garage. Scraped and
shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

The depreciation is hefty. If I was his boss, I'd kick his ass for
allowing anything less than $3200.

Assuming a 30 year roof, you are past half, if a 20 year roof, you are
nearly done and $4500 would be about right. No one likes to see
depreciation, but that is the way polices are written.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The depreciation is hefty. If I was his boss, I'd kick his ass for
allowing anything less than $3200.

Assuming a 30 year roof, you are past half, if a 20 year roof, you are
nearly done and $4500 would be about right. No one likes to see
depreciation, but that is the way polices are written.

I had two roofs replaced on the same house due to hail damage. It was by
two differant policies about 15 years apart. In the first case the roof was
at the end of its life anyway. Each one was for the full replacement
except for the $ 500 deductiable.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

I had two roofs replaced on the same house due to hail damage. It was
by two differant policies about 15 years apart. In the first case the
roof was at the end of its life anyway. Each one was for the full
replacement except for the $ 500 deductiable.

That's a condition of the policy, though.

What would be interesting would be the difference in premiums you paid
for the full replacement value coverage vs the standard and whether it
made up the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 May 2012 21:20:54 -0500, dpb wrote:

I had two roofs replaced on the same house due to hail damage. It was
by two differant policies about 15 years apart. In the first case the
roof was at the end of its life anyway. Each one was for the full
replacement except for the $ 500 deductiable.

That's a condition of the policy, though.

What would be interesting would be the difference in premiums you paid
for the full replacement value coverage vs the standard and whether it
made up the difference.

Since he collected, likely not. The money is made from people who never (need
to) collect. That's why it's called "insurance". ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

The depreciation is hefty. If I was his boss, I'd kick his ass for
allowing anything less than $3200.

Assuming a 30 year roof, you are past half, if a 20 year roof, you are
nearly done and $4500 would be about right. No one likes to see
depreciation, but that is the way polices are written.

I had two roofs replaced on the same house due to hail damage. It was by
two differant policies about 15 years apart. In the first case the roof was
at the end of its life anyway. Each one was for the full replacement
except for the $ 500 deductiable.

I did that, too. Of course I paid more to get full replacement value.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

I had two roofs replaced on the same house due to hail damage. It was by
two differant policies about 15 years apart. In the first case the roof
was at the end of its life anyway. Each one was for the full replacement
except for the $ 500 deductiable.

That's a condition of the policy, though.

What would be interesting would be the difference in premiums you paid for
the full replacement value coverage vs the standard and whether it made up
the difference.

--

I am not sure what the differance would have been. As the total home owners
insurance was around $ 500 per year I doubt the replacement cost was that

It is still just insurance and I insured what I thought was a fair payment
vers what I could loose if something hapened. Just as when I moved a few
years ago, I did not get a home warrenty on the house I bought . It was
about 20 years old and I made an offer on the thoughts of replacing a
roof,heat pump and a few other things.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, if the SF estimates of what the contractors are getting for roof
replacement (on which the proposed settlement is based) are accurate,
then y'all might be right, and the settlement generous.

But that's why I asked about what the contractors are getting per square.
Sometimes ins. company's estimates are severely biased, and I've got no
exposure to what the contractors are doing in recent times.

Note that nobody has responded to the "per square" question. :-)

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:52:51 -0500, Puddin' Man wrote:

Little brick bungalow in large midwest US city, detached garage. Scraped and
shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

About how much might a midwest US (i.e. St. Louis) contractor get to scrape and
shingle (per square)? I'll come out to something like 12 (house) + 6 (garage) =
18 total squares (actually closer to 17).

Thx,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

Does your policy have full replacement value coverage? I'd guess not. Without
it, they will only pay the depreciated value.

Call your agent and get it. Last time I looked, it was pretty inexpensive.
-- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:

Well, if the SF estimates of what the contractors are getting for roof
replacement (on which the proposed settlement is based) are accurate,
then y'all might be right, and the settlement generous.

Call some roofers and get real estimates. Usenet estimates aren't worth much.

My experience is that State Farm estimates are pretty good. They've bought me 3
roofs. -- Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 11 May 2012 14:15:56 -0500, Douglas Johnson
wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

How do they work stuff like this nowdaze? I'm not necessarily looking for a
kickback, but that depreciation # is awfully hefty.

Does your policy have full replacement value coverage? I'd guess not. Without
it, they will only pay the depreciated value.

Call your agent and get it. Last time I looked, it was pretty inexpensive.

Agreed. Without replacement coverage you could be in for a big surprise after
a total loss. Also get replacement value coverage on contents. It's cheap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 10 May 2012 06:37:03 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On May 9, 11:34Â*pm, bob haller wrote:
OP should of had full replacement insurance less deductible.. it costs
more than depreciated insurance but can pay back big time on a big
loss like a fire or a home destroyed by a tornado

I'm not sure I see the logic of paying for full replacement
insurance. It would seem to me that you are then playing
the lottery hoping to get lucky by having damage occur
so you can recover the extra money your are paying over
the years.

In this case, the roof was 60% of the way through it's
life anyway. He would have had to replace it when the
other 40% ran out. The insurance company is giving
him credit for way more than the 40% of remaining
value, making him whole and then some.

And if you don't have a claim on that roof, then over
25 years you've paid significantly more for full
replacement coverage that you never used. It
would be like paying extra for auto collision
insurance where if your ten year old car gets
wrecked, instead of giving you $3,000 they
give you the value of a new car.

Depends where you live and what your risks are. If you are in
tornado alley, or in a heavy hail zone, buying replacement insurence
may well be a wise move. Then again, if you live in some parts of
Florida it may be a total waste, because roofs might never last long
enough to be depreciated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On May 9, 11:34*pm, bob haller wrote:
OP should of had full replacement insurance less deductible.. it costs
more than depreciated insurance but can pay back big time on a big
loss like a fire or a home destroyed by a tornado

I'm not sure I see the logic of paying for full replacement
insurance. It would seem to me that you are then playing
the lottery hoping to get lucky by having damage occur
so you can recover the extra money your are paying over
the years.

The logic is that it's not much more expensive and in a total loss you aren't
out what you can't afford to replace; the whole reason for insurance.