Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT?: Hail damage and State Farm settlement

On Wed, 09 May 2012 19:52:51 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

Little brick bungalow in large midwest US city, detached garage. Scraped and
shingled about 05-1996.

Big hail storm. I spring a little leak in each structure. Have State Farm
adjuster out, he walks roofs, proposes claim adj.:

Total replacement cost value $6k.
Less depreciation 2500
Less deductible 1000
Actual cash value payment $3k

The depreciation is hefty. If I was his boss, I'd kick his ass for
allowing anything less than $3200.

Assuming a 30 year roof, you are past half, if a 20 year roof, you are
nearly done and $4500 would be about right. No one likes to see
depreciation, but that is the way polices are written.