Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!?

So I am out working in my yard today, and my 76 year old male neighbor
comes outside, and he starts sprinkling grass seed all over his
treebelt. The problem is, his treebelt is completely covered in
rocks!!!!! He has what appears to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch rocks/stones across
his entire treebelt, which is about 50 feet long, and 5 feet wide.

He had someone put the rocks there, on top of the topsoil, about 3 years
ago when he had trouble keeping Green grass on his treebelt ( he always
SCALPED the grass when mowing it! ). I like this old fart, and I TRY to
help him out when he needs it, like shoveling his snow, bringing out his
trash barrel for him, etc. etc.

Anyway, I offer to help him take the rocks off his treebelt for him, so
that the grass can grow there, but he says no, he "wants the grass to
grow through the rocks". HUH!? I tell him, even if some grass grows
there, HOW the heck is he going to mow the grass with a treebelt full of
rocks, without DESTROYING his lawnmower!! But he didn't understand what
I was saying, and just kept saying that he wants to grow grass with the
rocks still there??

I think the guy has lost it, and feel bad for him. I also feel like just
going over there and taking the rocks off his treebelt for him, but
don't want him to get mad when he sees that his precious rocks are gone!

He threw about a half bag of Kentucky Bluegrass seed all over his
treebelt, and then tried to rake it in, and then he watered it!

WHAT THE HECK!?

What a mess it's going to look like, when in a few weeks, the treebelt
is all rocks with new grass growing around them!!!!!

Here is some pics at the link below of what the rocks covering his
treebelt look like:

Landscaping Rocks 1/2 - Google Search

http://www.google.com/search?spell=1...ng+rocks+1%2F2

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from
sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put
the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green
grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems
to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really
the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch
in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try
to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning
some of Alzheimers or something?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Michelle,

Does sound a bit loony. He can mow any grass that comes up with his weed
whacker. Suggest you be pleasant and mind your own business

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
[...]

SNIP

That is nice that you want to help him. I help a neighbor like that. Tough
when the mind goes. He still drives OK and safely but don.t remember how to
get to the store. Wife goes along so he can get where going and find his way
back home. She does not drive. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( Dave )

Yes, I was and am pleasant to him, and did just mind my own business and
let him do what he wanted to do. I did feel kinda bad, because I never
heard or seen anyone throw grass seed on top of a 50 foot long treebelt
of rocks before! I tried to help him out and offer to move the rocks for
him, so that he can grow grass the right way, on topsoil, but he said
no, he wanted grass to grow with the rocks!? Just hope he does use a
weedwacker to cut whatever grows, and doesn't try to mow a treebelt of
3/4" inch rocks/stones with his push lawmower!!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 7, 8:00*am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from
sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put
the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green
grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems
to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really
the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch
in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try
to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning
some of Alzheimers or something?

In my experience, when an elderly person starts losing it, it is best
to humor them and not try to argue with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2012 9:38 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yes, I was and am pleasant to him, and did just mind my own business and
let him do what he wanted to do. I did feel kinda bad, because I never
heard or seen anyone throw grass seed on top of a 50 foot long treebelt
of rocks before! I tried to help him out and offer to move the rocks for
him, so that he can grow grass the right way, on topsoil, but he said
no, he wanted grass to grow with the rocks!? Just hope he does use a
weedwacker to cut whatever grows, and doesn't try to mow a treebelt of
3/4" inch rocks/stones with his push lawmower!!!!!

How well do you know him? Medical history? It is entirely possible
that he is ill, with anything from dementia to diabetes to medication
reaction. Folks do strange things sometimes when there are serious
health problems going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( Norminn )

On Mon, 7 May 2012 15:13:49 -0400, (MICHELLE H.)
wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't really "know-him, know-him". Just know him in a
neighborly kind of way like "Hi, how you doing" and occasionally talking
to him about the weather or gas prices and stuff. I usually go over and
help him shovel snow in the winter when I see him out there struggling
to do it himself. I usually help him out by bringing out his 95 gallon
trash barrel for him when it's full.

I know that he is still very active though for 76 years old. He drives
to the store on a daily basis, and he likes working outside in his yard
planting flowers, or pruning his Crabapple trees. He says that he has
family ( a sister ), but I never see anyone visit the guy!?

Oh well, if he is able to grow grass on his treebelt, I guess I will
offer to let him use either my handheld grass clippers or a weedwacker
to trim the grass, that way he doesn't use his push lawnmower and send
rocks flying out like missiles all over the neighborhood!!!!!!

You might do him a favor by speaking with his sister if you can locate
her, or another relative. There are also social service people who can
help, you'd have to inquire who to contact, maybe look up something like
the county human services dept. (They're there to help with things like
food stamps, electric outages, the elderly, and so on.....).

What he's doing is harmless (unless he tries to mow it), but it sounds
like he is getting alzheimers and it never hurts to speak with someone.
A relative would be the best, but a social worker can be helpful too.
There was an old handicapped guy in my area who could no longer drive
and was unable to get around on his own. He was very skinny when
someone contacted the county. A social worker went to his home and
found he had not eaten in weeks because he had no way to get groceries.
They also found a darn near starved dog in the house, which was
temporarily taken to the humane society for care.

He was given a motorized wheel chair to help him get around and somehow
food is delivered to him each week. Now I see this guy buzzing around
town in that electric wheelchair, and his dog running alongside. He
looks good and seems happy.

Maybe your neighbor is just a bit eccentric, but it never hurts to check
on elderly people who act oddly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

If the grass grows there, the mower probably won't have a problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( Tangerine )

Hi! Yes, you are correct. What he is doing is harmless and he has a
right to do whatever he wants to his treebelt ( even though it's
actually owned by the city ). Some people e-mailed me and told me "Oh
why don't you just leave him alone!". I merely went over there to see
what he was doing and suggested that he plant the grass seed on top of
topsoil and not rocks, because we all know that a lawnmower and
rocks/stones don't mix!!!

He had the rocks put there about 3 years ago, after his grass kept
turning Brown and then Yellow, and dying, because he would mow his lawn
with the wheels at the LOWEST setting and would always SCALP the grass,
even right before a drought and heatwave!

When I talked to him a few days ago, when he was doing his rocks, I
suggested that he raise the wheels up on his mower and mow the grass at
a higher setting, and he said that yes, he was going to do that. He said
he is going to "leave the grass longer this year".

What I should have done is suggested that he put "Zoysia" grass on his
rock treebelt, because isn't Zoysia grass the grass that grows sideways
and not upward?? This way he could have his grass and rocks mixed in,
and not have to worry about ever cutting it.

Unfortunately, I didnt think of Zoysia grass at the time, and so he
already put "Kentucky Bluegrass" there on top of the rocks.

Yes, he told me one time that he has a sister, but that she lives in
another state, but never told me where? Also, I forgot to add that he
also likes working out in his vegetable garden every year, and grows all
kinds of vegetables. He said that he is going to try to grow pumpkins,
watermelon, and corn this year, and that he is going to give me some
when they are ready in the fall!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? "Treebelt"

I got an e-mail from someone asking me "What the heck is a Treebelt??".

For those that don't know, a treebelt is the strip of lawn between the
city street, and the public/city sidewalk. You have the house, then the
front yard, then the city sidewalk, then a small space of land ( usually
owned by the city ), and then the public street.

Some people who might live on a dead-end street and have no sidewalk
will have the first 3 feet or so of their front yard designated as the
"treebelt".

In some cities or towns, it might be called an "easement" and not a
"treebelt", but the same rules usually apply, where the city/town
actually owns the "easement" whether it's an island between the sidewalk
and street, or the first 3 feet of your front lawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

For those that don't know, here is a pic below of what a treebelt looks
like. It is a small strip of land located between the public sidewalk,
and public street. This is usually where the homeowners put their trash
and recycling barrels on garbage day.

In my City, the homeowner does NOT own the treebelt, and it's not part
of the homes acerage of the total square feet of the yard. The City owns
the treebelt, but the homeowner still has to take care of it ( i.e. pick
up litter on it, mow it, etc, etc. ).

People may put rocks there, or plant grass, flowers, trees, etc, etc.
But funny thing is, in my city, a homeowner may NOT trim any tree
located on a treebelt, you have to call the city to have them trim it
for you. Also, homeowners may NOT cut down any tree located on their
treebelt, even if the tree is dead or dying, the City will inspect it,
and remove it for you. SO you can plant a tree there, but not trim it,
or cut it down without getting a hefty fine!

Also, if the City or utility company has to do any work on pipes etc,
below the treebelt, they can dig up all your grass, flowers, cut down
your $100 tree you just planted, etc, etc, because the homeowner doesn't
own it, the city does.

Here is a good pic of a treebelt below. This is not my street, or
neighborhood, just some random picture I found on Google images!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2409/...e7cdf98a_o.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

If your house has a "treebelt", then you most likely know, that this is
where lazy dog owners let their dogs poop all over them, and don't pick
it up!! Also, people park their cars/trucks on them, and leave tiremarks
and ruts all across them as well.

Someone e-mailed me, and told me that they would rather have all
concrete between the sidewalk and street, then a strip/island full of
grass. My city DPW would never make it all concrete, because the water
lines and natural gas lines are underneath peoples treebelts in my area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/7/2012 11:11 PM, Bob F wrote:
MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

The mower might not have a problem, but the rocks might kill someone!
We had areas around our condo covered with river rock (neighborhood of
1.5" diam.), and a resident's little boy who liked to throw the rocks
out onto the lawn. I would go pick them up now and then. Lawn guy was
mowing one day when I heard something hit the building. Didn't pay much
attention because it sounded like it hit the block/stucco wall. Little
did I know at that moment was that a rock had hit my upstairs neighbor's
patio slider! Second story, busted glass door. The guy is in danger if
he actually plans to use a mower. Very odd to go to the trouble of
removing the landscape cloth and replacing the rock to plant grass,
unless the "grass" is a decorative clumping plant that doesn't grow
tall...got it in FL but don't recall the name.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, that is why I posted in here, because I just found it very odd the
way he wanted to replant grass on his treebelt!! That he spent about an
hour moving all the rocks/stones, so that he could take out the thick
plastic sheeting underneath, then put the rocks/stones back on top of
the topsoil, before throwing Kentucky Bluegrass seed all over the top of
the rocks/stones, and trying to rake it in with a metal garden rake,
before watering the rocks.

That is what I am afraid of, if he tries to use his push lawnmower to
mow whatever grows there, and he forgets to raise up the wheels on his
lawnmower, and leaves it at the lowest setting, and rocks start hitting
cars, houses, people, etc. We live on a street where all the houses were
built in the 1920's, and so all the houses are only like 10 feet apart
from one another.

Also, yes, I think you are thinking off the same grass seed as I
mentioned in my post from earlier today, the one called "Zoysia Grass".
I think this is grass seed, that when planted, grows sideways instead of
upward, and you never really have to cut/mow it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 12:01 PM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

Nope. Can't be used for a lawn. It grows in tiny clumps, and nice to
plant between pavers in warm climates. I'm thinking it is related to
liriope, which is much taller.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like you're a real busy body who has nothing better to do than to
tell your neighbors what to do
Get a life, get a hobby
So something more useful with your life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
I got an e-mail from someone asking me "What the heck is a Treebelt??".

For those that don't know, a treebelt is the strip of lawn between the
city street, and the public/city sidewalk. You have the house, then the
front yard, then the city sidewalk, then a small space of land ( usually
owned by the city ), and then the public street.

Some people who might live on a dead-end street and have no sidewalk
will have the first 3 feet or so of their front yard designated as the
"treebelt".

In some cities or towns, it might be called an "easement" and not a
"treebelt", but the same rules usually apply, where the city/town
actually owns the "easement" whether it's an island between the sidewalk
and street, or the first 3 feet of your front lawn.

The correct term is "right of way".
But who are we to haggle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 9:05 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

.....and he should have suggested that you concern yourself with you own
property and stop bugging him. Is this really all you have to do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( Attila, IGot2P)

Oh, okay, so I guess it's WRONG to offer help/advice/suggestions to an
eldery, senior citizen that looks like they might be doing something
wrong, and not know what they are doing!? Like other people have
suggested, maybe the guy has "Alzheimers", and needs help, and that any
family he does have should be contacted.

But I guess it's wrong to try to help people now-a-days right!? So for
example if I see someone washing their car with gasoline, I'll just
ignore them, instead of trying to help them. If I see someone breaking
into a house on my street, I'll just ignore it, and let the burglar take
whatever. If I see some little kids playing in the middle of the street,
I'll just ignore it, and let the kids get hit by a car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 6:18*pm, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
Oh, okay, so I guess it's WRONG to offer help/advice/suggestions to an
eldery, senior citizen that looks like they might be doing something
wrong, and not know what they are doing!? Like other people have
suggested, maybe the guy has "Alzheimers", and needs help, and that any
family he does have should be contacted.

But I guess it's wrong to try to help people now-a-days right!? So for
example if I see someone washing their car with gasoline, I'll just
ignore them, instead of trying to help them. If I see someone breaking
into a house on my street, I'll just ignore it, and let the burglar take
whatever. If I see some little kids playing in the middle of the street,
I'll just ignore it, and let the kids get hit by a car.

you sir are doing a public service trying to help others and should be
applauded.

I too have a neighbor who has lost it......

he cut down every tree on his property, some reall old large mature
ones, he cut his grass twice a week, at scalp level. he even paid to
have neighbors trees cut down. he graveled a hillside, it looks bad
with grass and weeds growing mixed in the rocks..

his wife died and he is now in a nursing home, they had no kids its
very sad. He couldnt be helped. really anti social.

I help other neighbors out with snow shoveling, garbage cans etc,
minor chores. one time after a major storm i spliced a neighbors phone
line till verizon got out and fixed it many days later. i NEVER take
money for helping. its what i was raised to do

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
Oh, okay, so I guess it's WRONG to offer help/advice/suggestions to an
eldery, senior citizen that looks like they might be doing something
wrong, and not know what they are doing!? Like other people have
suggested, maybe the guy has "Alzheimers", and needs help, and that any
family he does have should be contacted.

But I guess it's wrong to try to help people now-a-days right!? So for
example if I see someone washing their car with gasoline, I'll just
ignore them, instead of trying to help them. If I see someone breaking
into a house on my street, I'll just ignore it, and let the burglar take
whatever. If I see some little kids playing in the middle of the street,
I'll just ignore it, and let the kids get hit by a car.

Oh stop whining
Your self-importance is annoying
There is nothing worse than a busybody justifying him or herself by claiming
they're doing good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/8/2012 6:45 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I'm with you. I've known elderly folks who have been very independent
and capable, and, suddenly, things go haywire. Unwanted suggestions can
be ignored, but the neighbor still knows there are caring, helpful folks
around. Better than those who die, unnoticed and alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 10:05:03 -0400, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:

[...]

Zoysia sends out runners, sideways, to propagate. Trust me, it grows up, too.
;-) If he plants Zoysia, I hope you like it too! (I do, for Southern lawns).

Unfortunately, I didnt think of Zoysia grass at the time, and so he
already put "Kentucky Bluegrass" there on top of the rocks.

I don't know why people are so hung up on Kentucky Blue. I like the Fescues
(creeping red is really nice), if you're not worried about drought.

Yes, he told me one time that he has a sister, but that she lives in
another state, but never told me where? Also, I forgot to add that he
also likes working out in his vegetable garden every year, and grows all
kinds of vegetables. He said that he is going to try to grow pumpkins,
watermelon, and corn this year, and that he is going to give me some
when they are ready in the fall!!!

If you have enough water, watermelon is easy. It just grows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 8, 5:45*pm, bob haller wrote:
[...]

I'm with you, I am 10 years younger than a couple of neighbors and I
do whatever I can when they ask for help. I know their daily patterns
and so may be the first to know if there is a change and maybe they
need some extra help. If I saw them putting grass seed in a rocky
area, I too would be concerned that they are "losing it". Michelle is
a good neighbor, and she would be welcome to be my neighbor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 8 May 2012 18:18:21 -0400, (MICHELLE H.)
wrote:

Oh, okay, so I guess it's WRONG to offer help/advice/suggestions to an
eldery, senior citizen that looks like they might be doing something
wrong, and not know what they are doing!? Like other people have
suggested, maybe the guy has "Alzheimers", and needs help, and that any
family he does have should be contacted.

But I guess it's wrong to try to help people now-a-days right!? So for

Correct. This is 2012. Nobody helps others anymore, unless there's
lots of money to be made by helping them.

Of course I'm being sarcastic, but there actually are people like that.
In fact I just dealt with someone like this. To make a long story
short, I run a farm. I had a guy to call for occasional help, and even
if he only worked one hour, I had to pay him everytime he came,
immediately after the job, or he would **** and whine that he did not
have enough money for gas to get home. The guy was about the laziest
c**ksucker I ever met. He constantly spoke about "the day I win the
lottery", and had all sorts of plans for his wealth. Yet, he cant even
hold a job because he's so damn lazy. Granted, the guy is 200lbs
overweight, and he cant even tie his own shoes because his belly is in
the way. He can only do physical labor for 10 minutes without taking a
20 minute break.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I had a baby horse born and there was a
complication. This was a severe animal emergency, and since the vet was
not available I had to deal with the problem myself until I could get a
vet. I needed help moving the mother horse, and she was down, unable to
get up, and was panicky. (Some animals get this way, and this was her
first born, which makes matters worse). I called this asshole guy and
told him to come over immediately and why. Well, after arguing with the
c**ksucker on the phone for a half hour, because he felt that since it
was 9pm, it was too late to work, and he would have to get his wife to
put his shoes back on, I finally hung up on him, and was able to get the
horse up, using some machinery. (Yes both the mother and baby are fine
now).

Last week, he fell thru the floor in his trailer home, and called me up
to come fix the floor. I went there and said that I would fix it over
the weekend and I screwed a sheet of plywood over the hole temporarily.
Friday I woke up very sick and went to my doctor. They placed me in the
hospital overnight. My animals needed to be fed in the morning and I
was very sick. So I call this asshole to come help me feed my animals.
His first question was "how much you gonna pay me"? Next question "I
thought you were gonna fix my floor today". I told him I'm too sick to
fix your floor today, but will do it next week. After a half hour of
arguing with the asshole, he said I'd help you but my wife wants me to
stay home today, and she said that if you cant fix the floor today, then
I cant help you today.

I hung up. I nearly had to crawl on all 4s to care for my animals, but
I got the job done. On Sunday he called and asked me if I was gonna fix
his floor. I said sure, I'll be right there, but since it's Sunday, I
expect $200 per hour, and I want to be paid $200 in advance, and expect
to be paid $200 at the end of each hour that I work (in cash). That's
when he began telling me how hard he has worked for me. That's when I
told him that during every hour I work on his floor, I will take a 40
minute break, and expect snacks, and beverages.

Well, he went off the handle about the price, and then he gave the phone
to his naggy bitch wife who started having a tantrum on the phone. I
ended that conversation by telling her to find another sucker to fix the
floor that her obese and lazy husband broke, and suggested opening her
yellow pages and looking up "Carpenters". Then I hung up.

Needless to say, I just hired another guy yesterday.

The moral of this true story is that YES, THERE *ARE* PEOPLE WHO DONT
GIVE A **** ABOUT ANYONE. All that matters is money!!!!!

example if I see someone washing their car with gasoline, I'll just
ignore them, instead of trying to help them. If I see someone breaking
into a house on my street, I'll just ignore it, and let the burglar take
whatever. If I see some little kids playing in the middle of the street,
I'll just ignore it, and let the kids get hit by a car.

Thanks for helping this old guy, or at least trying!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find it hard to believe that's the only hired hand you could find. And, I
furthe find it hard to believe you spent so much time writing such a story.
This may qualify as very well written fiction short story.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( bob haller )

Yes, like you, I never take his money either. When I help shovel snow
for him in the Winter, he always offers me $2 dollars, but I tell him
"no, thats okay", and refuse to take his money.

He knows that in the Fall I always put Pumpkins on my porch as
decorations, and so he said that because I always try to help him out,
he planted pumpkins this year just so he could give me some for free,
because last year I was telling him how expensive Pumpkins were to buy
last year.

He also knows that I like Watermelon and Corn On The Cob, and so he is
growing that to give to me as well, which is really nice of him.

But like you, I was raised and taught to help elderly people in need.
But I guess some people in this group like "Attila" and "IGot2Pee",
don't believe in that, and think we should spit at senior citizens,
throw stuff at them, and push them down to the ground and step on them!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Must be Democrats?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message news:8721-4FAA79AE-

But like you, I was raised and taught to help elderly people in need.
But I guess some people in this group like "Attila" and "IGot2Pee",
don't believe in that, and think we should spit at senior citizens,
throw stuff at them, and push them down to the ground and step on them!?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi! First off, I hope you are feeling all better!? Yeah, you are better
off getting rid of that lazy overweight guy, because obviously all he
wanted was your hard-earned money for doing the least amount of work as
possible!! But yes, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! It's 2012, and no one helps people
anymore unless there is MONEY in it for them.

I guess its not like it was in the 70's, 80's, and 90's, with people and
neighbors helping each other out for free, out of the goodness of their
heart. Now-a-days, if you offer suggestions or advice to people you will
be bashed by jerks like "Attila" and "IGot2P", as being a "busy-body" or
"snoop", and told to "mind your own business".

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've met a few people who are still helpful. But, very few. And mostly
Mormons.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"MICHELLE H." wrote in message
Yeah, you are better
off getting rid of that lazy overweight guy, because obviously all he
wanted was your hard-earned money for doing the least amount of work as
possible!! But yes, YOU ARE RIGHT!!! It's 2012, and no one helps people
anymore unless there is MONEY in it for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2012 7:05 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
Yes, like you, I never take his money either. When I help shovel snow
for him in the Winter, he always offers me $2 dollars, but I tell him
"no, thats okay", and refuse to take his money.

He knows that in the Fall I always put Pumpkins on my porch as
decorations, and so he said that because I always try to help him out,
he planted pumpkins this year just so he could give me some for free,
because last year I was telling him how expensive Pumpkins were to buy
last year.

i buy pumpkins on sale the day after halloween, by the shopping cart
full. i bake, puree, and freeze them. much better than canned pumpkin
for pies, and feed it to the animals in the shelter i volunteer at.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/9/2012 9:05 AM, MICHELLE H. wrote:
[...]

Hey person, get off of it as you don't have a clue as to what I do for
neighbors, young or old. Actually, I do remove the snow for the whole
neighborhood, haul their yard waste to the dump, and muck more but I
sure and the hell don't think that I need to brag to the world about it.

Why don't you just make a sig file that basically states that you are
one great person!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry you had such a bad experience with the Christians near you. I think
most groups have a few trouble makers, including the original 12 disciples.

Plug for my religion? No, it just means I need to get out, more.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 May 2012 11:08:28 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I've met a few people who are still helpful. But, very few. And mostly
Mormons.

Kind of a plug for your religion, huh?

The funniest thing is that I've met religious people who are some of the
kindest and most caring people around, and I've met other religious
people who are the biggest crooks I've seen. There was a piece of land
with a small house that my parents had. They used it as a get-away
place (kind of a cottage in the woods. As got old and never went to it
anymore. For a couple years I moved there, and it didn't take long for
the so called "born again christians" who lived nearby to begin banging
on my door with their bibles, ready to "save my soul". I tried to be
friendly but clearly told them that I'm not interested in joining their
church. They became very persistent, to the point of almost stalking
me. I asked them to leave and several times, but they kept coming, kept
knocking on the door, and because I was working nights, they were waking
me up repeatedly. I finally had the police escourt them off the
property.

I moved from there after a few years. Eventually the place had to be
sold because of my father's death and mother's illnesses, and it was my
job to prepare it for selling. I tried to sell it without a realtor and
put up signs. As soon as the signs were up, the first caller was these
"born agains". After telling me it's exactly what they need for their
elderly mother who needs to live near them so they can check on her
daily, they proceeded to give me a whole list of everything they could
find wrong with the building, even made up things that they knew nothing
about, (like claiming there was an underground fuel tank - which there
was no such thing). When I told them the asking price, they offerred me
a price figure of about 20% of the asking price. When I refused their
offer, they began sending "offers" in the mail, which were all very low,
and each offer included a list of complaints about the place, and each
offer contained a letter saying "we need it so bad for our poor old
mother, and you'd be doing so much good for the Lord by selling it to
her, but she is very poor", etc etc..... At the same time, they had
gone and gotten an evaluation from a so called "professional", and said
I was asking too much.....

Upon doing an investigation of them, I found that they were buying other
local properties, getting their dirt cheap, sticking a few bucks in the
places and selling them for a huge profit.

Now that's a real Christian thing to do!!!!!

After that, I returned all their mail unopened, and blocked their phone
calls.

Then again, I've met non-religious people on both sides of the fence
too...... But using religion to screw people is the main reason I avoid
all forms of "formal religion". No one needs to join a church to pray!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn wrote:
On 5/9/2012 7:42 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Norminn wrote:
Also, yes, I think you are thinking off the same grass seed as I
mentioned in my post from earlier today, the one called "Zoysia
Grass". I think this is grass seed, that when planted, grows
sideways instead of upward, and you never really have to cut/mow
it.

Nope. Can't be used for a lawn. It grows in tiny clumps, and nice
to plant between pavers in warm climates. I'm thinking it is
related to liriope, which is much taller.

I know the grass of which you speak,,,it is Zoysia japonica,
commonly called "temple grass". However, there are numerous species
and hybrids of Zoysia and many - including japonica - are indeed
used for lawns. Also for golf fairways.

It isn't a low maintenance grass though and it browns early and
greens late. The clumping comes when it isn't regularly mowed.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/zoysia.html

No, it's not Zoysia. It actually may not be a grass. Tiny little
clump, grows in shade, dark green shiny leaves.

Maybe Irish "moss" ? Not a grass.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!? ( Norminn ) It's

Norminn wrote:
[...]

It took a little googling, but here is a link to a picture. Love the
stuff...grows in shade, no care, just sits there and doesn't spread.

http://www.finegardening.com/item/20...-grass-problem

Forgot names of all my northern plants when I moved to Florida. Learned
about Florida gardening, now I'm back up north (

Contractor's grass seed Matt[_9_] Home Repair 12 July 15th 16 12:51 AM
Grass Seed Recommendation Steve Lupton[_2_] UK diy 11 March 4th 09 11:26 AM
Grass Seed Question Robert11 Home Repair 10 March 25th 06 07:53 AM
Grass seed? mgarvie Home Repair 7 March 19th 06 01:14 PM
grass seed question bill allemann Home Repair 8 March 14th 06 07:30 PM