Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grass Seed Recommendation

Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for
cheap, fast growing robust grass seed.

Thinking along the lines of the sort of stuff road builders chuck on the
side of new road embankments...

I just want it to grow, and grow quickly! Aesthetics are not all that
important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness for
converting it into a smallholding.

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for cheap,
fast growing robust grass seed.

Thinking along the lines of the sort of stuff road builders chuck on the
side of new road embankments...

I just want it to grow, and grow quickly! Aesthetics are not all that
important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.the-perfect-lawn.co.uk/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness for
converting it into a smallholding.

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for cheap,
fast growing robust grass seed.

http://www.the-perfect-lawn.co.uk/

Great - many thanks. From reading the descriptions, the multipurpose one
looks like the best bet.

Cheers,

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Lupton
writes
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

Is that small holding as in *grazing animals* or just somewhere to park
the chicken coop?

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for
cheap, fast growing robust grass seed.

Thinking along the lines of the sort of stuff road builders chuck on
the side of new road embankments...

Most sown grass is a mix of varieties chosen to suit the use required.

I just want it to grow, and grow quickly! Aesthetics are not all that
important.

Hmm... Quick growing could be a poor specification, Westerwolds Rye
grass is an annual which heads up in about 6 months and then dies:-)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have a look at www.cotswoldseeds.com

You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep mowing.
If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Lupton
writes
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

Is that small holding as in *grazing animals* or just somewhere to park
the chicken coop?

The goats will probably nibble on the grass but it won't be their
primary diet.

Hmm... Quick growing could be a poor specification, Westerwolds Rye
grass is an annual which heads up in about 6 months and then dies:-)

I never thought grass could be so complicated!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Have a look at www.cotswoldseeds.com

I've had quite a good read of that site now - some useful info on there.

You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep mowing.
If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend on
mowing it very much - if at all.

regards

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Lupton
writes
You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep
mowing. If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend
on mowing it very much - if at all.

I used a mixture designed for *sports turf* applications for our lawn as
the land is a long way short of bowling green status.

My grandfather kept goats; grazed tethered to a pin by a length of
chain.

Grass palatability could be an issue. Environmental mixes tend to be
short, slow growing and may not be very appetising. Goats are browsers
and will prefer brambles anyway. Long term grazing with no nutrient
return will deplete soil reserves of essential chemicals but this takes
years.

You might need to check the DEFRA site for regulations regarding the
keeping of livestock. You ought to be registered with a veterinary
practice prepared to treat large animals and may need a holding number.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Lupton
writes
You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep
mowing. If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend
on mowing it very much - if at all.

I used a mixture designed for *sports turf* applications for our lawn as
the land is a long way short of bowling green status.

My grandfather kept goats; grazed tethered to a pin by a length of chain.

Goats are not grazers, they are primarily browsers and will rather climb
and strip trees than eats grass. Believe it or not..

If you want grass kept short, get sheep. If you want to clear a patch of
land of every living thing, get pigs. Very useful way to take rough land
and clear it for cultivation. Get's fertilised too.

Grass palatability could be an issue. Environmental mixes tend to be
short, slow growing and may not be very appetising. Goats are browsers
and will prefer brambles anyway.

Yup. Funny thngs, goats.

Long term grazing with no nutrient
return will deplete soil reserves of essential chemicals but this takes
years.

You might need to check the DEFRA site for regulations regarding the
keeping of livestock. You ought to be registered with a veterinary
practice prepared to treat large animals and may need a holding number.

And worse...
regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Lupton
writes
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

Is that small holding as in *grazing animals* or just somewhere to park
the chicken coop?

The goats will probably nibble on the grass but it won't be their primary
diet.

I once borrowed some goats to assist in garden taming. In my experience they
are not the slightest bit interested in grass.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve Lupton
writes
You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep
mowing. If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend
on mowing it very much - if at all.

I used a mixture designed for *sports turf* applications for our lawn as
the land is a long way short of bowling green status.

My grandfather kept goats; grazed tethered to a pin by a length of chain.

I'm planning on letting mine have full reign over my property. Spent a
lot of effort ensuring the perimeter is secure!

They have a 6x6 shed with the door removed and two sleeping benches
inside which will form their shelter.

Grass palatability could be an issue. Environmental mixes tend to be
short, slow growing and may not be very appetising. Goats are browsers
and will prefer brambles anyway. Long term grazing with no nutrient
return will deplete soil reserves of essential chemicals but this takes
years.

The grass isn't really for them to eat - it's just to make the place
look decent - it's a mudbath at the moment. I didn't think goats were
grazing animals anyway - the research I have done suggests that they
prefer foraging.

They will primarily get their nutrition from fresh hay and a few ounces
of feed. They will get given fresh fruit and veg periodically.

You might need to check the DEFRA site for regulations regarding the
keeping of livestock. You ought to be registered with a veterinary
practice prepared to treat large animals and may need a holding number.

Yep - all sorted. Got a holding number from the RPA and I've also done a
DEFRA 'Animal Health' registration.

I think that's everything!

regards

Thanks again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

et...

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Steve

Lupton
writes
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in

readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

Is that small holding as in *grazing animals* or just somewhere

to park
the chicken coop?

The goats will probably nibble on the grass but it won't be their

primary
diet.

I once borrowed some goats to assist in garden taming. In my

experience they
are not the slightest bit interested in grass.

mark

Try Geese, we move our geese from area to area to trim the grass,
enclosing them in sheep hurdles. You need a bit of rain afterwards to
wash the goose poo away though!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill coughed up some electrons that declared:

"Steve Lupton" backwards.moc.liamg@pulevets wrote in message
Hi

I'm in the process of razing my back garden to the ground in readiness
for converting it into a smallholding.

There are lots of bare patches and I'm looking for a suggestion for
cheap, fast growing robust grass seed.

Thinking along the lines of the sort of stuff road builders chuck on the
side of new road embankments...

I just want it to grow, and grow quickly! Aesthetics are not all that
important.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Steve

S23 Ryegrass.
Don

People who like fine lawns hate ryegrass - but if fine lawns aren't
important, then it's the defacto tough lawn grass. It's in most seed that
the garden centre sells - buying seed without ryegrass is harder.

Fertiliser will help - but don't put it on until the grass has appeared,
then only a very weak application - young grass burns easily. Now's a good
time - it's wet and getting warmer so it should be pretty green in less
than 3 months at a rough guess, though it never truely looks like a proper
lawn until many months or a year later.

Cheers

Tim

Grass Seed Question Robert11 Home Repair 10 March 25th 06 07:53 AM
Grass seed? mgarvie Home Repair 7 March 19th 06 01:14 PM
grass seed question bill allemann Home Repair 8 March 14th 06 07:30 PM
Petrol Grass Trimmer Recommendation (McCulloch, Talon or Challenge) Pete UK diy 3 March 30th 05 03:13 PM
Saving grass seed for next spring? OK Home Repair 8 October 28th 04 06:56 PM