Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Grass Seed Recommendation

In message , Steve Lupton
writes
You may not want a highly productive grass if you have to keep
mowing. If you intend to crop it you need clover or fertiliser.

I'm hoping it will sort of look after itself - certainly don't intend
on mowing it very much - if at all.

I used a mixture designed for *sports turf* applications for our lawn as
the land is a long way short of bowling green status.

My grandfather kept goats; grazed tethered to a pin by a length of
chain.

Grass palatability could be an issue. Environmental mixes tend to be
short, slow growing and may not be very appetising. Goats are browsers
and will prefer brambles anyway. Long term grazing with no nutrient
return will deplete soil reserves of essential chemicals but this takes
years.

You might need to check the DEFRA site for regulations regarding the
keeping of livestock. You ought to be registered with a veterinary
practice prepared to treat large animals and may need a holding number.

regards

--
Tim Lamb