OK

Default Saving grass seed for next spring?

Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring? If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

Thanks

ameijers

"OK" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring? If

so,
how would you store it over the winter?

Sure, but be aware the coverage rates will go down. When I planted grass as
a kid, there was even a decay rate chart on the bag. As long as it is stored
dry, some of the seed will remain viable for years. I'd decant it into a
bucket with a tight-fitting lid to reduce chances it will draw moisture or
bugs. If you don't have space for a bucket, some of the giant-size ziploc
bags will also work. I'd keep it inside if possible, just to keep it dry.

aem sends...

Phisherman

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:04:13 GMT, "OK" wrote:

Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring? If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

Thanks

Sure. There's a date on the bag. Probably it's a good idea to use
the seed within 18 months. Keep the seed dry and cool and up off the
floor where it may attract varmints.
Bob

"OK" wrote in message
om...
Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next

spring? If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

I just used some dated 2000. It sprouted fine. Stored in the
garage with a clothespin holding the bag folded closed.

Bob

William Brown

I keep mine in a spare refrigerator. In the very early spring, a few
weeks before seeding time, put a small sample on a moist paper towel,
fold up the paper towel and put it in a sealed plastic bag, like a
sandwich bag, then check it two or three weeks later to get an idea of
how many of the seeds germinated. If it is a good number, use the seed;
if few germinated, get new seed.

OK wrote:

Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring? If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

Thanks

there.
Jeff Wisnia

OK wrote:

Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring?
If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

Thanks

You can also use the time honored method of just sprinkling the seeds on
the surface of some water in a cup or glass. It'll float, and if it does
germinate, you'll see it happening.

Jeff

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
David Efflandt

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:04:13 GMT, OK wrote:
Is it possible to save an opened bag of grass seed for next spring? If so,
how would you store it over the winter?

As long as you keep the seed dry and where the mice cannot get at it, it
should be fine. I grew snap peas this year from seeds I bought years ago.
Seeds were found in the pyramids of Egypt that could still germinate.

The suggestion of another reply to keep them moist or in water was silly.
As long as they remain dry, they should be able to sprout when they are
planted and remain moist.