Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage disposal --- Quick and cheap

My 15 year old garbage disposal sort of bit the dust. After removing
it, I think it can be repaired, but too late, the new one is in place.
This is sort of a mundane story,but there is money to be saved if you
look around. I knew what I wanted, a batch feed unit from either
KitchenAid (what we had) or InSinkErator (same thing, different
brand).

When we first had the problem, my wife said "want to run to Lowes",
but I declined and decided to hit the internet first.

Lowes carried the model I wanted KBDS100T for $429 + tax ($455.81
total in CT). They did not have it in stock, but would have it by May
1 for pickup in the store.

Amazon had it for $349 +$15.72 shipping. Sold by AJ Wholesale. In
stock.

Click, Click on to Abt.com an electronics supplier out of Chicago
area. $325 including shipping.

I never ordered from them, but took a chance. It was ordered on
Tuesday night, shipped on Wednesday via UPS and delivered on Friday.

Installed it this morning in less than an hour, including looking for
the *@#$ screwdriver my grandson used. $130 still in my pocket.

I really like to shop local and support local merchants, but $130
takes a while to earn. It wills till be spread around local though.
Instead the appliance store, that money bought us lunch today, some
new shirts, etc. Buying a new shirt buys a bowl of rice for the kid
that sewed it in Bangladesh.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed, I've appreciated reading your posts, over the years. You display common
sense, which is sorely lacking. Especially in me!

My Dad had a sign over his desk, when he was employed:

GOOD
FAST
CHEAP
(choose any two)

Again, you demonstrate the wisdom of my Dad's sign.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 5:21*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Maybe I shouldn't show you this, but can't help it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KitchenA...130#vi-content

$199 with free shipping

I now go to Ebay for anything and everything like that as a
source of pricing and info. Many
times you can find the thing you want and better info on it
than at online retailers.

That's one mighty disposal you have. You're not grinding up body
parts are you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I got one of these (not from costco) and love the idea of a lifetime free in
house replacement. not to mention it's way cheaper. Got mine via Amazon, costco
didn't carry it at the time

$139.99
Shipping & Handling included *
The estimated delivery time will be approximately
7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

The Waste King 1 HP Food Waste Disposer offers the convenience of mounting to
any existing sink flange and is backed by the industries only in-home LIFETIME
replacement warranty.

For new installations, the Waste King 1 HP Disposer comes equipped with a
professional 3-bolt mounting system, a precision engineered five-piece system
designed to be fast and easy.

If you are replacing an existing disposer there is no need to remove your sink
flange. Simply use the Waste King 1 HP Disposer supplied splash guard and easily
install the new unit. This splash guard lets you switch to a reliable Waste King
1 HP Disposer without spending additional time removing an existing sink flange.

The Waste King 1 HP Disposer comes with the best and longest warranty in the
industry, LIFETIME in-home warranty, which demonstrates a commitment to quality.

Features:

* Replacement Instructions
* 1 Horsepower
* Mounts to any existing sink flange
* Professional 3-bolt mounting system
* Vortex powered (permanent magnet motor technology)
* Less jamming (no jam wrench necessary)
* Corrosion proof grinding chamber
* Sound insulated for quiet operation
* Front mounted reset button
* Septic safe (for properly sized systems)
* Attached power cord
* Dimensions: 16.0625" H x 8.5" W
* Warranty: Lifetime in-home replacement

With the Waste King 1 HP Food Waste Disposer you can rest assured you are
purchasing the most environmentally responsible unit on the market today. Tests
have shown that Waste King disposers are set apart from the competition by using
permanent magnet motor technology, innovations in use of plastics, raw materials
and packaging designs. Waste King Disposers are committed to helping protect the
planet earth.

Green Features:

* Use less energy and water
* Lower current draw
* No foam in packaging
* Packaged in recycled corrugated
* Less copper in windings than induction motors
* Less Overall shipping weight and volume
* Less paint per unit on disposers

[Model 9980]
Standard shipping via UPS Ground is included in the quoted price. The estimated
delivery time will be approximately 7 - 10 business days from the time of order.
*Delivery is available to Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. An additional Shipping
and Handling fee will apply to shipments going to Alaska, Hawaii or Puerto Rico.
This fee will be quoted at checkout. Additional transit time may be required.
Costco.com products can be returned to any of our more than 600 Costco
warehouses worldwide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 21, 7:07*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,
*Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

warehouses worldwide.- Hide quoted text -

$325

$199

$140

Do I hear $125 gentlemen, going once, going twice.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

But, wait! I'll throw in the ginsu knife, the potato peeler, and a Billy
Mays sun glasses.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message news:76f343db-ad42-4943-bfa6-

$139.99
Shipping & Handling included *
The estimated delivery time will be approximately
7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

[Model 9980]
Standard shipping via UPS Ground is included in the quoted price. The
estimated

$325

$199

$140

Do I hear $125 gentlemen, going once, going twice.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Everybody else is tossing out prices, so I'll toss out a question...

Why do you want a batch feed unit? Just curious.

I've only had continuous feed units, and I've bought them *because*
they were continuous feed. I'd rather just wash (or push) my waste
down the hole, turn on the water and flip a switch.

Why do you want to have to use a stopper to turn it on? My
InSinkErator has a stopper, but I only use it if I want to fill the
sink.

What's the attraction of a batch feed unit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

lifetime warranties? i have had some, nearly every company either went
out business or just canceled the lifetime warranty.........

whos lifetime is the question for lifetime warranties??

my best friend bought 2 sunoco true blue batteries. Sunoco tried
canceling the warranty but lost in court....

he ended up getting free vehicle batteries for 35 years. at one point
they refunded the purchase price

he made out great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:05:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't show you this, but can't help it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KitchenA...130#vi-content

$199 with free shipping

I now go to Ebay for anything and everything like that as a
source of pricing and info. Many
times you can find the thing you want and better info on it
than at online retailers.

That's one mighty disposal you have. You're not grinding up body
parts are you?

I did see an ad for an ebay seller, maybe it was that one, but I did
not check it out. I'm still a little cautious about stuff from ebay
sellers. Maybe overly so. When they first started, ebay was a good
source for odd 'n' ends, usually used and cheap. Maybe the stigma
still exists with me and I'm afraid I'd be buying a reject pulled out
of the town dump. I'm probably 99.999% wrong about that though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:07:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

I got one of these (not from costco) and love the idea of a lifetime free in
house replacement. not to mention it's way cheaper. Got mine via Amazon, costco
didn't carry it at the time

$139.99
Shipping & Handling included *
The estimated delivery time will be approximately
7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

But it is continuous feed, not batch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:25:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Everybody else is tossing out prices, so I'll toss out a question...

Why do you want a batch feed unit? Just curious.

I've only had continuous feed units, and I've bought them *because*
they were continuous feed. I'd rather just wash (or push) my waste
down the hole, turn on the water and flip a switch.

Why do you want to have to use a stopper to turn it on? My
InSinkErator has a stopper, but I only use it if I want to fill the
sink.

What's the attraction of a batch feed unit?

First is the fact that I don't have to fish wires to install a switch
on the wall, or, inconveniently inside the sink cabinet. With a
window right over the sink and cabinets on either side, it would be a
PITA to do it now.

Next, my daughter is less likely to drop spoons and knives into it
when running.

I don't recall ever having enough garbage at one time to need a long
run and lots of feeding so that is not a factor for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:07:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Who's lifetime, theirs or yours ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't show you this, but can't help it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-KitchenA...130#vi-content

$199 with free shipping

I now go to Ebay for anything and everything like that as a
source of pricing and info. Many
times you can find the thing you want and better info on it
than at online retailers.

That's one mighty disposal you have. You're not grinding up body
parts are you?

I did see an ad for an ebay seller, maybe it was that one, but I did
not check it out. I'm still a little cautious about stuff from ebay
sellers. Maybe overly so. When they first started, ebay was a good
source for odd 'n' ends, usually used and cheap. Maybe the stigma
still exists with me and I'm afraid I'd be buying a reject pulled out
of the town dump. I'm probably 99.999% wrong about that though.

I used to love ebay and have never had a bad experience-- but there
are fewer and fewer good deals there, IMO.

I've been finding good prices on Amazon's 'other vendors' lately. So
far- so good. Actually got to test the system last month when a
youngster listed an upgrade version of some software as a full
version.

He was hemming and hawing about the refund, so I gave up and dropped a
line to Amazon. Within an hour I got an email from him offering a
full refund with postage both ways. [which was processed as soon as he
got the software back]

That's one problem in 15-20 great deals-- and it was resolved as soon
as Amazon got involved.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Everybody else is tossing out prices, so I'll toss out a question...

Why do you want a batch feed unit? Just curious.

I've only had continuous feed units, and I've bought them *because*
they were continuous feed. *I'd rather just wash (or push) my waste
down the hole, turn on the water and flip a switch.

Why do you want to have to use a stopper to turn it on? My
InSinkErator has a stopper, but I only use it if I want to fill the
sink.

What's the attraction of a batch feed unit?

First is the fact that I don't have to fish wires to install a switch
on the wall, or, inconveniently inside the sink cabinet. *With a
window right over the sink and cabinets on either side, it would be a
PITA to do it now.

I have the same situation. I installed the switch on the wall below
the upper cabinet 20 years ago when I installed the first disposal.
Sure, it was a PITA at the time, but I've had 20 years of no regrets.

Next, my daughter is less likely to drop spoons and knives into it
when running.

The InSinkErators (ISE) have a rubber baffle that fits in the drain to
prevent large objects from going in. I used to have the spoon problem
with a Kenmore model but I have never had anything go drain that I
didn't want since I installed the ISE over 5 years ago.

The design of the baffle serves 2 purposes: it prevents large objects
from entering the drain and it reduces the sound tremendously. The
sound reduction feature is even written up in the literature.

The other thing nice about the ISE baffle is that it is removable. The
old Kenmore baffle was sandwiched between the sink and drain flange so
that when it began to wear out, that's when the spoon problems began.
With the removable baffle, it gets much less wear and tear during the
rare times I remove it for large pieces of debris and is also easily
replaced if it ever wears out. Replacing the worn Kenmore baffle meant
dropping the disposal and dismantling the drain, so it never happened.

I don't recall ever having enough garbage at one time to need a long
run and lots of feeding so that is not a factor for us.

To each his own, but I'm not talking about "long runs". I just talking
about flipping the switch while rinsing the sink with the spray hose.

Anyway, enjoy your new unit. I hope you get many years of satisfaction
from it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We had an insinkerator that was lightly used and it self destructed (the
pin that anchors one of the "hammers" sheared off).

I replaced it with a waste king. The waste king has a much simpler and
much better design and works really well. The simpler design makes it
much quieter. It also has the rubber baffle which makes it difficult for
spoons etc to fall in.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was equally impressed with Amazon. Several years ago I had a bogus
charge of like $150 charged on my CC from Amazon. I recall it was in
the holiday season. I first called my CC and they were looking into
it but I decided I didn't want to wait to see the outcome even tho I
knew it was bogus. So I called Amazon and within a short time (I
think a day or less) they came back and agreed it was bogus and said
they would credit my CC and did. I was definitely impressed with
their customer service. I recall I did make some purchases before
from them but I think the previous purchase from the bogus purchase
was like a year before. I don't know how they determined my bogus
charge was bogus as I didn't ask questions. I was just happy to get
to the bottom of it. I do remember the charges were for books.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:

[...]

How long did it last before it "self destructed". (BTW...how else
would you expect a disposal to go bad other than "self destruction"?)

Just like any other brand and device, there are various models from
entry level to luxury. There are also the occasional faulty unit.

The model I have (the same model I installed for my parents and parent-
in-law's) have been running at least 5 years each. I know that's not a
long time, but we've not experienced a single problem in that time.

I don't think InSinkErators would have the reputation they do if they
were prone to self destructing, especially with "light use". Maybe you
just got a bad unit, who knows.

As far as quiet, the sound proofing baffle used on the Evolution
series (and probably some other series) makes them so quiet that I
sometimes forget mine is on until I turn the water off. Once the
debris is ground up and not sloshing around inside the disposal, the
running water is louder than the unit. Based on that, when I installed
my parents and parent-in-law's units I used a lighted switch so that
they would always know when it was running.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've had a couple of purchases from Amazon that sorta went sideways before
Amazon stepped in and set everything right. They're definitely on my 'A'
list.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I got one of these (not from costco) and love the idea of a lifetime free in
house replacement. not to mention it's way cheaper. Got mine via Amazon,
costco
didn't carry it at the time

$139.99
Shipping & Handling included *
The estimated delivery time will be approximately
7 - 10 business days from the time of order.

But it is continuous feed, not batch.

http://www.amazon.com/Waste-King-L-8.../dp/B00146IHUY

$188

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 16:07:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My 15 year old garbage disposal sort of bit the dust. After removing
it, I think it can be repaired, but too late, the new one is in place.
This is sort of a mundane story,but there is money to be saved if you
look around. I knew what I wanted, a batch feed unit from either
KitchenAid (what we had) or InSinkErator (same thing, different
brand). ....

I really like to shop local and support local merchants, but $130
takes a while to earn. It wills till be spread around local though.
Instead the appliance store, that money bought us lunch today, some
new shirts, etc. Buying a new shirt buys a bowl of rice for the kid
that sewed it in Bangladesh.

I got one of these (not from costco) and love the idea of a lifetime free in
house replacement.

That sounds good, but if I understand Malcom correctly you have to pay
for the kid from Bangladesh to come to your house. Extra if he buys
his ticket less than 2 weeks in advance.

Garbage disposal JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 28th 09 10:33 PM
Garbage disposal professorpaul Home Repair 7 October 21st 07 04:15 PM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM