Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Garbage disposal --- Quick and cheap

On 4/22/2012 10:12 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Apr 21, 11:06 pm, Ed wrote:
On Sat, 21 Apr 2012 18:25:40 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

Everybody else is tossing out prices, so I'll toss out a question...

Why do you want a batch feed unit? Just curious.

I've only had continuous feed units, and I've bought them *because*
they were continuous feed. I'd rather just wash (or push) my waste
down the hole, turn on the water and flip a switch.

Why do you want to have to use a stopper to turn it on? My
InSinkErator has a stopper, but I only use it if I want to fill the
sink.

What's the attraction of a batch feed unit?

First is the fact that I don't have to fish wires to install a switch
on the wall, or, inconveniently inside the sink cabinet. With a
window right over the sink and cabinets on either side, it would be a
PITA to do it now.

I have the same situation. I installed the switch on the wall below
the upper cabinet 20 years ago when I installed the first disposal.
Sure, it was a PITA at the time, but I've had 20 years of no regrets.

Next, my daughter is less likely to drop spoons and knives into it
when running.

The InSinkErators (ISE) have a rubber baffle that fits in the drain to
prevent large objects from going in. I used to have the spoon problem
with a Kenmore model but I have never had anything go drain that I
didn't want since I installed the ISE over 5 years ago.

We had an insinkerator that was lightly used and it self destructed (the
pin that anchors one of the "hammers" sheared off).

I replaced it with a waste king. The waste king has a much simpler and
much better design and works really well. The simpler design makes it
much quieter. It also has the rubber baffle which makes it difficult for
spoons etc to fall in.

The design of the baffle serves 2 purposes: it prevents large objects
from entering the drain and it reduces the sound tremendously. The
sound reduction feature is even written up in the literature.

The other thing nice about the ISE baffle is that it is removable. The
old Kenmore baffle was sandwiched between the sink and drain flange so
that when it began to wear out, that's when the spoon problems began.
With the removable baffle, it gets much less wear and tear during the
rare times I remove it for large pieces of debris and is also easily
replaced if it ever wears out. Replacing the worn Kenmore baffle meant
dropping the disposal and dismantling the drain, so it never happened.

I don't recall ever having enough garbage at one time to need a long
run and lots of feeding so that is not a factor for us.

To each his own, but I'm not talking about "long runs". I just talking
about flipping the switch while rinsing the sink with the spray hose.

Anyway, enjoy your new unit. I hope you get many years of satisfaction
from it.