Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas piping question

What do you call the elbow installed at the gas meter that allows a
gas grill (1/2" steel ) line to be tapped off at the meter? Pipe
comes up from meter, elbow in 1" pipe, with 1/2" pipe out the top.
Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Reducing bushing
is not allowed here. Neighbour's house has the fitting I'm looking
for so I know they exist (or did sometime in the last 30 years).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:04:43 -0500, DanG wrote:

On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:
What do you call the elbow installed at the gas meter that allows a
gas grill (1/2" steel ) line to be tapped off at the meter? Pipe
comes up from meter, elbow in 1" pipe, with 1/2" pipe out the top.
Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Reducing bushing
is not allowed here. Neighbour's house has the fitting I'm looking
for so I know they exist (or did sometime in the last 30 years).

Typically called a reducing tee.

Sample:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...ucing+ tee&aq
=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3...3322l8913l
0l9368l22l17l0l5l5l0l187l1547l13j4l22l0.pfwc.1.&p bx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3226d3
7ade666d03&biw=832&bih=490

Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side. I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Unless there's a reducing tee I have not found a picture of yet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/16/2012 8:11 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:04:43 -0500, wrote:

On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM,
wrote:
[...]

Its still a tee. A real supply house is where you would buy it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...psy-ab&q=iron+...
=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3...3322l8913l
0l9368l22l17l0l5l5l0l187l1547l13j4l22l0.pfwc.1.&pb x=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw*.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3226d3
7ade666d03&biw=832&bih=490

* Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side. I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

Its still a tee. A real supply house is where you would buy it.- Hide quoted text -

I would agree. I'd call it a reducing tee. The more common
type is with the smaller fitting at the middle of the tee, but
they come in other flavors too. Best bet is to go to a real
plumbing supply. Even if they call it a fooji manuuli, that's
where you're going to find it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 16, 9:27*am, Doug Miller
wrote:
wrote :

*Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side.

Wrong. A reducing tee is *any* tee in which the fittings aren't all the same size.

I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

No, you don't. You need a reducing tee.

You need this, right?

1" ---------------- 1/2"
* * * * |
* * * * |
* * * * 1"
It's called a 1 -- 1/2 -- 1 reducing tee.

might be easier to avoid tapping the meter area and run a line from
somewhere else

sometimes trying to minimize parts used costs a lot more in
frustration and hassles
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:
What do you call the elbow installed at the gas meter that allows a
gas grill (1/2" steel ) line to be tapped off at the meter? Pipe
comes up from meter, elbow in 1" pipe, with 1/2" pipe out the top.
Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Reducing bushing
is not allowed here. Neighbour's house has the fitting I'm looking
for so I know they exist (or did sometime in the last 30 years).

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet

/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&

productId=3418836&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Mueller%201%22%20x%201

%22%20x%201/2%22%20Black%20Iron%20Tee&CAWELAID=1072248017

Don't know if Lowes covers you or not but there's the reducing tee
wanted...had to split the url for line-length, sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I found it. It is a 1X1X1/2, AKA DT331.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:10:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Apr 16, 8:30Â*am, George wrote:
On 4/16/2012 8:11 AM, wrote:

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 01:04:43 -0500, Â*wrote:

On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:
What do you call the elbow installed at the gas meter that allows a
gas grill (1/2" steel ) line to be tapped off at the meter? Â*Pipe
comes up from meter, elbow in 1" pipe, with 1/2" pipe out the top.
Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Â*Reducing bushing
is not allowed here. Â*Neighbour's house has the fitting I'm looking
for so I know they exist (or did sometime in the last 30 years).

Typically called a reducing tee.

Sample:
http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&ta...psy-ab&q=iron+...
=f&aqi=&aql=1&gs_l=hp.3...3322l8913l
0l9368l22l17l0l5l5l0l187l1547l13j4l22l0.pfwc.1.&pb x=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pwÂ*.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3226d3
7ade666d03&biw=832&bih=490
Â* Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side. I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

Its still a tee. A real supply house is where you would buy it.- Hide quoted text -

I would agree. I'd call it a reducing tee. The more common
type is with the smaller fitting at the middle of the tee, but
they come in other flavors too. Best bet is to go to a real
plumbing supply. Even if they call it a fooji manuuli, that's
where you're going to find it.

Yup - Marks had it in stock - DT331 reducing Tee -1X1X1/2 as coared
to the common 1X1/2X1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:27:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in :

Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side.

Wrong. A reducing tee is *any* tee in which the fittings aren't all the same size.

I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

No, you don't. You need a reducing tee.

You need this, right?

1" ---------------- 1/2"

1"
It's called a 1 -- 1/2 -- 1 reducing tee.

According to my supply house a 1X1X1/2. DT331

3 is 1 inch, 2 is 3/4" and 1 is 1/2", so a 331 is 1X1X1/2, and if it
was a 332 it woould be 1X1X3/4, and they are spec'd leg, t, leg, so a
straight reducing t with 1" on both ends and a 1/2" tap off the side
would be a 313, and with a 3/4" tap would be a 323. If one of the
legs is 1 1/4", it is a 4. a 1 1/2" is a 5

D for ductile, T for Tee.

A ductile Elbow is a DB, with a 45 for 45 degrees, 90 for no, etc, and
the same numbering system for sizes - so a 1X1 90 is a db9033, and a
reducing 1 to 1/2 is a db9031.. Have not looked at street elbows and
reducing street elbows - but there does appear to be a sys
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 06:35:25 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Apr 16, 9:27Â*am, Doug Miller
wrote:
wrote :

Â*Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side.

Wrong. A reducing tee is *any* tee in which the fittings aren't all the same size.

I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

No, you don't. You need a reducing tee.

You need this, right?

1" ---------------- 1/2"
Â* Â* Â* Â* |
Â* Â* Â* Â* |
Â* Â* Â* Â* 1"
It's called a 1 -- 1/2 -- 1 reducing tee.

might be easier to avoid tapping the meter area and run a line from
somewhere else

sometimes trying to minimize parts used costs a lot more in
frustration and hassles

No place else to tap from with the grille location 10 feet from the
meter and all the rest of the piping inside the house, going the other
direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:03:09 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:
What do you call the elbow installed at the gas meter that allows a
gas grill (1/2" steel ) line to be tapped off at the meter? Pipe
comes up from meter, elbow in 1" pipe, with 1/2" pipe out the top.
Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Reducing bushing
is not allowed here. Neighbour's house has the fitting I'm looking
for so I know they exist (or did sometime in the last 30 years).

http://www.lowes.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet

/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&cId=SEARCH&

productId=3418836&cm_mmc=SCE_gps-_-gps-_-gps-_-Mueller%201%22%20x%201

%22%20x%201/2%22%20Black%20Iron%20Tee&CAWELAID=1072248017

Don't know if Lowes covers you or not but there's the reducing tee
wanted...had to split the url for line-length, sorry.

Yup, that's the sucker all right. None of our local "retail" hardware
establishments carried it - the trade warehouse did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in :

Nope - a reducing Tee is same size straight through, with reduced
size off the side.

Wrong. A reducing tee is *any* tee in which the fittings aren't all the same size.

I need an elbow with the reduced size off the end,
big pipe makes a 90, small pipe heads off straight.

No, you don't. You need a reducing tee.

You need this, right?

1" ---------------- 1/2"

1"
It's called a 1 -- 1/2 -- 1 reducing tee.

According to my supply house a 1X1X1/2.

You still don't have this right. The nomenclature for a tee specifies the sizes of the ends,
then the side. So a 1 x 1 x 1/2 tee has 1" fittings on the ends, and 1/2" on the side.

Well, I have the one I need in my hands, and their spec is 331

Posted to alt.home.repair

f you haven't already figured it out, I was wrong in my post where I said
the Tee would be a 1"x1"x1/2" I should have said 1"x1/2"x1"

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , dpb wrote:
On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:

Functionally the same as using a 1 inch "T" as an elbow, with a
reducing bushing in the top to take the 1/2" pipe. Reducing bushing
is not allowed here....

A source for the particular reducing tee has been identified elsewhere;
I'm intrigued by the "Reducing bushing is not allowed here" part. Not
allowed by what or by whom? I never heard of such restrictions on how a
specific objective is achieved in installation as a code prohibition for
such an ordinary thing as one additional fitting.

What if you can't find the tee easily, would a nipple and a reducing
coupling not be allowed either?

--

Code for gas piping often prohibits use of bushings and instead mandates
bell-style reducers (either with both ends female threads or street-style,

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/16/2012 6:24 PM, George wrote:

NFPA 54 (and most/all gas suppliers) specifically disallow bushings. If
you consider the mechanical strength of an assembled bushing joint vs
say a reducing coupling you can see why.

Hmmm...cast iron bushings are disallowed but nothing says can't be
malleable iron.

I was wondering because virtually every valve I've seen has a reducing
bushing supplied w/ it...

http://www.pexsupply.com/White-Rodgers-36C01-405-3-4-Gas-Valve-24-VAC-14582000-p

Sounds to me like overreaction to ban entirely but suppose it's easier
than verifying aren't cast in situ.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Corect the midle size is always the branch

"Larry W" wrote in message
f you haven't already figured it out, I was wrong in my post where I said
the Tee would be a 1"x1"x1/2" I should have said 1"x1/2"x1"

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , dpb wrote:
On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:

[...]

I have also noticed that plugs are never used to terminate an unused line,
they always use a short nipple and a cap.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 4/19/2012 10:44 AM, EXT wrote:

[...]

I hadn't previously heard this (or if had, had forgotten it) so I
checked NFPA Code. A search in a PDF document found only the reference
to bushing in the section that is specifically related to _cast_ iron
fittings; it doesn't apply to malleable iron or other materials.

If local codes or inspectors have extended that, I can only presume it
was simply for their convenience to avoid the need to determine in situ
if is/is not a cast.

I didn't look at the plug specifically; as best I can recall it wasn't
mentioned but I won't swear to that. Well, let's see, I think the
document is still here--ok, every occurrence of plug or plugged is
associated w/ "or cap/capped". So again, it'll be some local thing, not
NFPA if so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"EXT" wrote in message
news.com...

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , dpb wrote:
On 4/16/2012 12:02 AM, wrote:

[...]

That's so they can charge you extra for the nipple and cap.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 11:44:07 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

I have also noticed that plugs are never used to terminate an unused line,
they always use a short nipple and a cap.

Probably because caps and nipples are in the parts box.
Unless you pull out an unused line back to a T, you would just cap
it..
If you go back to a T, you might replace the T with an El. if you
don't have to break many connections.
If you stay with the T, you'll use what parts you have.
I've done some plumbing and recall seeing plugs only in sewer
cleanouts. Maybe seen a plugged T or two.
I'd rather use a plug in a T than add a nipple/cap.
But it's never happened where I had to block a T leg.

--
Vic

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have also noticed that plugs are never used to terminate an unused line,
they always use a short nipple and a cap.

Probably because caps and nipples are in the parts box.
Unless you pull out an unused line back to a T, you would just cap
it..
If you go back to a T, you might replace the T with an El. if you
don't have to break many connections.
If you stay with the T, you'll use what parts you have.
I've done some plumbing and recall seeing plugs only in sewer
cleanouts. Maybe seen a plugged T or two.
I'd rather use a plug in a T than add a nipple/cap.
But it's never happened where I had to block a T leg.

Well, I got the line all made up and installed today and have called
for inspection - next tuesday. When I first called Union Gas they said
they would do the Tee install for $60 plus tax, and they would do it
Friday afternoon - so I had everything set up ready to go - then I got
a call from Union Gas saying they do not do anything past the meter -
period -, so I was stuck again. I called several gasfitters for
pricing, getting widely varying estimates - all based around $75 per
hour, with 1.25 hour minimum - until I got talking to one of them and
he said "Your house? nothing stopping you from doing it yourself.
Pressure test, soap test, and call Union Gas for an inspection"

Getting the union off the meter was a bit of fun - and I had to
totally disassemble it and clean up 38 years of rust and corrosion and
lubricate it before it would turn without a 12 inch Stilson to
re-install it.Got everything together, tapcon'd it to the foundation
within a foot from either end and roughly in the middle of the 10 foot
run, and called for inspection. We'll see what happens.

Everything worked with standard length pipe fittings except for the
down-leg from the reducing tee at the meter - which I had custom cut
at Home Despot - no charge with the purchace of the pipe. Total cost
including one locking va;lve and one non-locking valve,including a can
of grey paint, brackets and tapcon - under $100 Canadian. See what the
inspection costs - - - -.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/19/2012 1:34 PM, Attila.Iskander wrote:

"EXT" wrote in message
news.com...

"Larry W" wrote in message
In article , dpb wrote:

[...]