Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plastic piping question.

Wish to make modification on plastic pipe plumbing. The plastic pipe is
terminated with copper tubing about 6 inches long.
I want to extend this but am reluctant to solder because of the short
distance to plastic pipe and heating.
I am considering Shark Bite solderless connector to 1/2" copper tubing
behind the dry wall.
Would appreciate any advice or experience with Shark Bite connectors.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Posted to alt.home.repair

Seamus J. Wilson wrote:
Wish to make modification on plastic pipe plumbing. The plastic pipe
is terminated with copper tubing about 6 inches long.
I want to extend this but am reluctant to solder because of the short
distance to plastic pipe and heating.
I am considering Shark Bite solderless connector to 1/2" copper tubing
behind the dry wall.
Would appreciate any advice or experience with Shark Bite connectors.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

Looks like a basic compression coupling. It should work if the pipe is round
and not oval.

--
Moe Jones
HVAC Service Technician

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Seamus J. Wilson" wrote in message
Wish to make modification on plastic pipe plumbing. The plastic pipe is
terminated with copper tubing about 6 inches long.
I want to extend this but am reluctant to solder because of the short
distance to plastic pipe and heating.
I am considering Shark Bite solderless connector to 1/2" copper tubing
behind the dry wall.
Would appreciate any advice or experience with Shark Bite connectors.
Thank you,
Seamus J. Wilson

I'd solder. Wrap a wet rag on the 3" closest to the plastic. I don't want
mechanical connectors behind the wall. You may also want to check the code
on that too. I've not kept up, but at one time they were not allowed. This
is from the Cash Acme web page
6. If the product is to be installed in a concealed location, the applicable
local authority must have inspected the system or

section of the system to be concealed prior to installation and confirmed
the absence of any leaks.

All that said, I've used many hundreds of that type of connector on air
lines with no problems. What is connecting the copper to the plastic?
Perhaps you should eliminate that piece and connect your new line right to
the plastic.