Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hard water and magnets

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to alt.home.repair

As far as I know, only iron and I think cobalt are magnetic. Calcium is not
affected by magnetism. I'd not waste my time or money.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"KenK" wrote in message
I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 8:58*am, KenK wrote:
I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Can I sell you a bridge between Manhattan and Brooklyn???? Or, maybe
some aluminum foil to line your underwear or your hat against an
atomic or hydrogen bomb??
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"KenK" wrote in message

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

The calcium ion is affected by magnetic fields. [That ion is used in
neurons and the mitosis of cells] The molecule will precess in
combination with the earth's field *and* certain frequency of magnetic
field.

It is my undertanding that during robust sun spot activity that highly
modulates the earth's field, that patients report an increase in
hallucinations and other problems by schizophrenics. Makes for good
press, may be urban myth.

Regarding DC magnetic field keeping ions in suspension: Try it, but DO
NOT SPEND ANY MONEY to try it! Report back here your findings. And
confirmation that it's all snake oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Magnetic water treatment (also known as anti-scale magnetic treatment
or AMT) is a marketed, but scientifically refuted pseudoscientific
method of reducing the effects of hard water, as a non chemical
alternative to water softening

But if you don't trust scientists, by all means, go for the $500 model:

http://www.dripworks.com/category/magnets

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 10:58*am, Robert Macy wrote:
The calcium ion is affected by magnetic fields.

Affected?

Well.

Any moving charged particle should have a force applied when in a
magnetic field.

And should feel nothing as soon as it leaves the field.

The amount of force should be relative to the amount of charge, the
amount of field, and the velocity of the particle.

In short, physics says no effect on solubility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, shazaam. I never knew that!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Robert Macy" wrote in message

The calcium ion is affected by magnetic fields. [That ion is used in
neurons and the mitosis of cells] The molecule will precess in
combination with the earth's field *and* certain frequency of magnetic
field.

It is my undertanding that during robust sun spot activity that highly
modulates the earth's field, that patients report an increase in
hallucinations and other problems by schizophrenics. Makes for good
press, may be urban myth.

Regarding DC magnetic field keeping ions in suspension: Try it, but DO
NOT SPEND ANY MONEY to try it! Report back here your findings. And
confirmation that it's all snake oil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 8:10*am, TimR wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:58*am, Robert Macy wrote:

The calcium ion is affected by magnetic fields.

Affected?

Well.

Any moving charged particle should have a force applied when in a
magnetic field.

And should feel nothing as soon as it leaves the field.

The amount of force should be relative to the amount of charge, the
amount of field, and the velocity of the particle.

In short, physics says no effect on solubility.

Yes, 'affected' by the magnetic field. There WILL be an noticeable
'effect'.

The calcium ion will PRECESS in the the earth's magnetic field, which
in laymen's terms, is akin to wobbling. Just like a gyroscope on its
side in the earth's gravitational field will precess. ...and is used
as one way to measure gravity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 2:02*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:10*am, TimR wrote:

On Apr 9, 10:58*am, Robert Macy wrote:

The calcium ion is affected by magnetic fields.

Affected?

Well.

Any moving charged particle should have a force applied when in a
magnetic field.

And should feel nothing as soon as it leaves the field.

The amount of force should be relative to the amount of charge, the
amount of field, and the velocity of the particle.

In short, physics says no effect on solubility.

Yes, 'affected' by the magnetic field. There WILL be an noticeable
'effect'.

The calcium ion will PRECESS in the the earth's magnetic field, which
in laymen's terms, is akin to wobbling. Just like a gyroscope on its
side in the earth's gravitational field will precess. ...and is used
as one way to measure gravity.- Hide quoted text -

I think it probably will, given a strong enough field.

But the amplitude of that motion is probably on the order of a
trillionth of an inch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 11:07 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
writes:

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_water_treatment

Magnetic water treatment (also known as anti-scale magnetic treatment
or AMT) is a marketed, but scientifically refuted pseudoscientific
method of reducing the effects of hard water, as a non chemical
alternative to water softening

But if you don't trust scientists, by all means, go for the $500 model:

http://www.dripworks.com/category/magnets

and put a unit in your car to increase your mileage.

I've been waiting for government agencies to come after these frauds but
its not happening.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the
water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

Yes it should work just as well as one you can buy for hundreds of dollar.

Which is not at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

Wow, I HATE to make this a politics thread, but you are making an
oblique reference to the CFPB (Consumer Fraud Protection Bureau)
that the Dems and Repubs have been fighting about for years now.

You can guess which side each party is on.

Obviously there are plenty of people around dumb enough to go
for the magnet scams. Should the "government" protect them?
I'm not sure.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium
in suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my
evaporative cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to
put in the water line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet.
What if I put it under the float valve that controls incoming water so
the water flows over it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

I have a nice bridge for sale. Interrested?
Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

I am. Who else can stop fraud?

Posted to alt.home.repair

*writes:

[...]

not protect them, but rather provide 'truth in advertising' so they
can make informed decisions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 8:10*am, TimR wrote:

[...]

Wow, how about less opinion and more learning?

The distance of motion is always the SAME, as I said, it is the
FREQUENCY, or speed, of the precession that changes with the strength
of the field. The precession rate for the calcium ion is around 20Hz
in the earth's 50 uT field.

Displacement? According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ionic_radius
the diameter of the calcium +2 ion is around 174 picometers, which is
around 6.9 billionths of an inch. 7000 times larger than a trillionth
of an inch. And in precession the AMOUNT of motion stays constant,
only the frequency changes.

It is the 'sensitivity' to the field that causes many to point at this
phenomenon as the 'scientific' link to justify fears of ELF.from AC
mains.

Another example of the precession of an ion is the hydrogen ion in
water. As a home project, take a two liter bottle of water, wrap
several hundred turns of wire around it. Then run 10 amps through the
wire, shut off the current abruptly and monitor what is 'kicked' back
into the coil. With the presence of the DC current, all the poles of
the ions line up. When the DC current stops and the field stops, all
the magnetic dipoles of the ions rush to settle back to their random
positions. Since the poles all start out in the same orientation,
there is a pronounced voltage induced into the coil at a specific
frequency as the ions 'settle'. The precession frequency is
proportional to the earth's magnetic field.

This home project is produces a vectorless magnetometer, since the
bottle's orientation does not matter.

Again, it is the sensitivity of the hydrogen ion to a magnetic field,
that snake oil salesman use to tout their magnetic de-scalers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

*writes:

[...]

Dan Espen- Hide quoted text -

Should the government protect stupid people. I'd say no.
But should they prosecute fraud?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 9, 10:05*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
Wow, how about less opinion and more learning?

The distance of motion is always the SAME, as I said, it is the
FREQUENCY, or speed, of the precession that changes with the strength
of the field. The precession rate for the calcium ion is around 20Hz
in the earth's 50 uT field.

Obviously you do not understand what precession is, nor how to
calculate forces in a B field.

Another example of the precession of an ion is the hydrogen ion in
water. As a home project, take a two liter bottle of water, wrap

Proof positive you do not understand, because this is NOT an example
of precession.
(It is simple inductance and can be calculated by Maxwell's
equations.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 9:11*am, TimR wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:05*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

Wow, how about less opinion and more learning?

The distance of motion is always the SAME, as I said, it is the
FREQUENCY, or speed, of the precession that changes with the strength
of the field. The precession rate for the calcium ion is around 20Hz
in the earth's 50 uT field.

Obviously you do not understand what precession is, nor how to
calculate forces in a B field.

Another example of the precession of an ion is the hydrogen ion in
water. As a home project, take a two liter bottle of water, wrap

Proof positive you do not understand, because this is NOT an example
of precession.
*(It is simple inductance and can be calculated by Maxwell's
equations.)

At the very least, the experiment is poorly stated. He
says to just measure the "kick back to the coil"? Any
coil that is energized and then turned off will generate
a current, as you correctly point out. No water filled
bottle required. Now perhaps he means measure the
DIFFERENCE caused by the presence of the water bottle?
Which would raise more questions, like how
much of that difference is due to the hydrogen ions
versus any other effects, such as the magnetic
permeability of water versus air..... And I'd be kind of
surprised if the suggested home experiment is going
to be able to capture/ quantify the difference. Like what would
one use to measure this small energy DIFFERENCE
coming out of a collapsing elecromagnetic field?

Doesn't sound like a home experiment to me.
And as you point out, if you just put 10 amps through
a coil of wire, when you turn it off, you're going to have
a substantial "kick back" with or without any water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 7:39 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:11 am, TimR wrote:

[...]

Do a search for
constructing "proton precession magnetometer"

and google's first hit of 50,000+
Signals from the Subatomic World:How to Build a Proton Precession ...
A proton precession magnetometer ( PPM ) is one of the most accurate
devices that you can build for measuring magnetic fields. A PPM takes
advantage of the ...
http://www.exstrom.com/magnum/master-Z-H-4.html

Signals from the Subatomic World:How to Build a Proton Precession ...
Sensor Coil. The purpose of the sensor coil is to acquire the proton
precession signal from the sample, and to provide the amplifier with
as much of the signal as ...
http://www.exstrom.com/magnum/master-Z-H-7.html

and Wikipedia, the best for data:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetometer
The relationship between the frequency of the induced current and the
strength of the magnetic field is called the proton gyromagnetic
ratio, and is equal to 0.042576 Hz nT-1. The accuracy of PPM's is thus
limited by the accuracy of this constant.

The frequency of Earth's field NMR (EFNMR) for protons varies between
approximately 900 Hz near the equator to 4.2 kHz near the geomagnetic
poles. These magnetometers can be moderately sensitive if several tens
of watts are available to power the aligning process. If measurments
are taken once per second, standard deviations in the readings is in
the 0.01 nT to 0.1 nT range, and variations of about 0.1 nT can be
detected.

Note that puts the signals right in the band of your 24 bit sound
cards!, so go make one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 6:11*am, TimR wrote:
On Apr 9, 10:05*pm, Robert Macy wrote:

Wow, how about less opinion and more learning?

The distance of motion is always the SAME, as I said, it is the
FREQUENCY, or speed, of the precession that changes with the strength
of the field. The precession rate for the calcium ion is around 20Hz
in the earth's 50 uT field.

Obviously you do not understand what precession is, nor how to
calculate forces in a B field.

Buckminster Fuller explained to me HOW a gyroscope works [incredibly
lucid explanation] and therefore WHY [and which direction] a gyroscope
precesses in a gravitational field.

Why calculate forces in a magnetic field?
What is precession?

Another example of the precession of an ion is the hydrogen ion in
water. As a home project, take a two liter bottle of water, wrap

Proof positive you do not understand, because this is NOT an example
of precession.
*(It is simple inductance and can be calculated by Maxwell's
equations.)

uh, what? sounds like EE106. see reply to at end
of thread
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 10, 12:34*pm, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 10, 7:39 am, "
wrote:

On Apr 10, 9:11 am, TimR wrote:

[...]

Looked at your links. And the construction of that device
involves building specific coils, pulse control circuitry, an
amplifier, etc.
Then we get into the data acquisition and control......

Comparing that to what you posted:

"As a home project, take a two liter bottle of water, wrap
several hundred turns of wire around it. Then run 10 amps
through the wire, shut off the current abruptly and monitor
what is 'kicked' back into the coil. "

If that's what it takes, then I'd say my initial reaction
that the actual experiment was poorly stated was right. Your
post left the impression that it was a simple, trivial experiment.
Apparently it can be done at home, but it takes a lot
more work and material than just wrapping some wire
around a water bottle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Apr 10, 9:11 am, TimR wrote:

[...]

I accept your criticism that I poorly stated - apologize. One
develops some bad habits over the years especially from flippantly
saying something [more accurately referring to something] that is
thought to be already understood. I forget that many people have not
been exposed to the mechanism supporting the PPM, or worked with the
circuit blocks that put together make up the 'simple' construction
required to build a PPM.

Regarding bieng a home project. SIMPLE is relative. I designed
ultrasonic echocardiography instrumentation - a non-invasive
instrument that looks inside the body using sound waves. Besides the
obvious complexity of the ultrasooud generation and reception, the
system required 5 microprocessors including a particularly difficult
architecture called bit-slice architecture for converting images in
real time. Now THAT was NOT simple.

If you are interested, you can make a PPM at home using farily
available items:
2 liter bottle filled with distilled water [a friend of mine who makes
this item using a different chamber for commercial sale, swears
alcohol is richer in hydrogen atoms - He also sells a magnetometer
that measures the earth's field to 12 digits!!! Watching that thing
operate is a treat. We stood out in an unpopulated area with the
instrument's digits blurred by changing as the reading updated. Most
significant digit was steady, next digit sometimes changed, next digit
'rattled' a bit, and so on until the LSD was a complete blur. While
watching the display, the pattern moved slightly up into the more
significant digits. When I pointed that out to him he simply pointed
to a bus driving by 2 blocks away that was deflecting the earth's
field causing our display pattern to change !!!]
wrap with 18-20 Awg
run 10 to 20 amps through the wire, shut off current and watch the
voltage at the wire terminals.
measure the voltage AFTER shutoff using your soundboard as data
acquisition - if it's a 24 bit system, you don't need a preamp - you
will need diode clamping to protect the input..

The standard decay voltage after shut off will contain a 'ripple'
riding on the voltage. Perform an FFT on the signal you accumulated
in your soundcard and you will clearly see a spike at some frequency
near 2kHz, if you're in the US. It will also show you 60, 120, 180,
240, etc from the AC mains.

The pulse circuit does not need to operate every second, you can make
it a simple one shot deal and still watch. Don't use a mechanical
switch, they don't shut off abruptly, taking several milliseconds, up
to 20 milliseconds and often have contact bounce - making and breaking
repeatedly as you shut off current. You will need a solid state switch
to turn off the current. Turning on can be as sloppy as you want, but
turning off has to be abrupt, and be a single event.

So yes, a little bit of work, but it is possible to make one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9 Apr 2012 13:58:49 GMT, KenK wrote:

I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

This subject came up some years back and from the info I was able to
track down there is a grain of truth to the claim but the effect is so
small that it's pointless to bother with it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/9/2012 10:21 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Well, shazaam. I never knew that!

I do seem to remember that the gravitational forces from the Earth's
moon have a great many effects on life on this planet down to a cellular
level. You may wonder where the term "lunatic" came from and
from what I've read, people noticed that a full moon often had
deleterious effects on those people already mentally unstable and also
affected the personalities of even those who never displayed aberrant
behavior. Darn, I know a lot of lunatics. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

writes:

[...]

If government schools would teach "science" instead of what's
politically correct, more people would understand what actually makes
the world go round. I never cease to be amazed at how ignorant the
average college student is of simple scientific principles. That's why
they're so vulnerable to "junk science". O_o

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

If government schools would teach "science" instead of what's
politically correct, more people would understand what actually
makes the world go round. I never cease to be amazed at how
ignorant the average college student is of simple scientific
principles. That's why they're so vulnerable to "junk science".

You mean believing things like "the gravitational forces from the
Earth's moon have a great many effects on life on this planet down
to a cellular level.... a full moon often had deleterious effects
on those people already mentally unstable and also affected the
personalities of even those who never displayed aberrant
behavior" ?

You could cut the irony with a knife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"G. Morgan" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I do seem to remember that the gravitational forces from the Earth's
moon have a great many effects on life on this planet down to a cellular
level. You may wonder where the term "lunatic" came from and
from what I've read, people noticed that a full moon often had
deleterious effects on those people already mentally unstable and also
affected the personalities of even those who never displayed aberrant
behavior. Darn, I know a lot of lunatics. ^_^

Wow! I never knew the origin of "lunatic" but it makes perfect
sense when you hear it. Good stuff.

--
I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them
where they're goin', and hook up with them later. -Mitch Hedberg

Any teacher will tell you that kids behave a little more out of control when
the moon is full
Police, Firefighters, EMTs will also tell you that they get more business
when the moon is full

Nothing new under the su..uh moon, here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 7:50*am, "
wrote:
On May 10, 10:39*am, Doug Miller
wrote:

The Daring Dufas wrote :

If government schools would teach "science" instead of what's
politically correct, more people would understand what actually
makes the world go round. I never cease to be amazed at how
ignorant the average college student is of simple scientific
principles. That's why they're so vulnerable to "junk science".

You mean believing things like "the gravitational forces from the
Earth's moon have a great many effects on life on this planet down
to a cellular level.... a full moon often had deleterious effects
on those people already mentally unstable and also affected the
personalities of even those who never displayed aberrant
behavior" ?

You could cut the irony with a knife.

I saw that one coming.... *LOL

And it is of course one of those things that "everybody believes but
it
just ain't so"

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...-the-full-moon

Excerpt down aways:
---------------------------------
There is a more serious problem for fervent believers in the lunar
lunacy effect: no evidence that it exists. Florida International
University psychologist James Rotton, Colorado State University
astronomer Roger Culver and University of Saskatchewan psychologist
Ivan W. Kelly have searched far and wide for any consistent behavioral
effects of the full moon. In all cases, they have come up empty-
handed.
-----------------------------------

Jusst one of many scholarly articales debunking it.

I worked in a jail and dispatch for 15 years and also believed it but
I'll bet a good statistical sstudy of police calls and jail incidents
wouldn't have shown anything.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:52:14 AM UTC-5, Attila.Iskander wrote:

Any teacher will tell you that kids behave a little more out of control when
the moon is full
Police, Firefighters, EMTs will also tell you that they get more business
when the moon is full

Nothing new under the su..uh moon, here.

Ok, let's assume that the moon's gravitation has effects on us...what would the sun's full-faced illumination have to do with gravity? It's a "duh" moment!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 11, 2012 9:12:03 AM UTC-5, Robert Macy wrote:

'rattled' a bit, and so on until the LSD was a complete blur.

I wonder if the LSD is a Freudian slip? *L*
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 11:48*pm, Harry K wrote:

I worked in a jail and dispatch for 15 years and also believed it but
I'll bet a good statistical sstudy of police calls and jail incidents
wouldn't have *shown anything.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I worked the night shift in a hospital and was the ONLY person who
didn't believe it.

Once I brought in the scientific articles for the nurses, who read and
said, "I don't care. I believe it anyway."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 11, 9:29*am, TimR wrote:
On May 10, 11:48*pm, Harry K wrote:

I worked in a jail and dispatch for 15 years and also believed it but
I'll bet a good statistical sstudy of police calls and jail incidents
wouldn't have *shown anything.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

I worked the night shift in a hospital and was the ONLY person who
didn't believe it.

Once I brought in the scientific articles for the nurses, who read and
said, "I don't care. *I believe it anyway."

Alice in wonderland is seen everywhere. "believe 9 impossible things
before breakfastk"

Harry K

hard drive rare earth magnets Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 32 November 9th 10 03:35 PM
Hard water & Indirect Water Heaters [email protected] Home Repair 0 June 9th 07 04:29 AM
hard drive magnets davao UK diy 28 January 24th 07 01:39 PM
Hard Water alexbartman UK diy 20 February 25th 05 10:30 AM
Water Softener for combi in very hard water area much_to_do UK diy 63 April 16th 04 12:51 PM