Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hard water and magnets

As far as I know, only iron and I think cobalt are magnetic. Calcium is not
affected by magnetism. I'd not waste my time or money.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"KenK" wrote in message
I've heard and read about flowing water past a magnet to keep calcium in
suspension and from coating stuff. I wnnt to try this with my evaporative
cooler for starters. I haven't found a magnetic adapter to put in the water
line locally. I have a small powerful surplus magnet. What if I put it
under the float valve that controls incoming water so the water flows over
it? Anyone try anything like this?

TIA

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright