Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hard drive magnets

Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:13:31 -0000, "davao"
wrote:

Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

Useful for concealed fixings of cover plates and panels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stick them on your fridge?.......Fridge magnet....sorry, its late and my
PC is being a narse,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"davao" wrote in message
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

They snap together very fast and hard. Some kind of DIY castration unit?

I used one recently to extract a small pin from a toy from between the
kitchen floorboards. The pin had dropped right into the groove. The magnet
also pulled out three rusty nails.

So - tie a piece of string to your magnet, keep it in a small plastic box,
and then in your toolkit. You never know when you need to pull some rusty
nails from a floor...

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"davao" wrote in message
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

Fridge magnets that don't fall off:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

davao wrote:
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

well the trouble is they aren't. Powerful.

However if you replace them with a load of neodymium magnets and rewind
the stator you can make a nice little model aeroplane motor..

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

davao wrote :

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

I use some recovered from a (really) old MFM drive to old steel
together whilst I weld it.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield writes:
davao wrote :

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

I use some recovered from a (really) old MFM drive to old steel
together whilst I weld it.

Sounds like the sort of moment you would discover what the
Curie temperature is, if you hadn't known beforehand ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

davao wrote:
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little
buggers?

well the trouble is they aren't. Powerful.

However if you replace them with a load of neodymium magnets and rewind
the stator you can make a nice little model aeroplane motor..

You are kidding, right? You do know that these little flat magnets used with
hard drive coils *are* neodymium magnets?

You can also find them in the lens assemley of old CDROM drives.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , davao
wrote
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/magnet.htm

Bear in mind that on that page is the statement
"Of course, it could all be quackery, but there's only one way to find
out..."

Better DIY ideas on the same site
http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/makendo.htm

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:13:31 -0000, "davao" wrote:

|Hi all.
|Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
|because I had heard something about magnets inside.
|So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
|So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
|with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
|alternatives."
|
|Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Toys?
Saw an interesting use for scrap rare earth magnets the other day. Break
them up into 6-12mm chunks. Rumble them until the edges are well rounded.
Polish them with some sort of ?paint/finish? Sell them as toys. Well
Clare bought some to keep the kids at school happy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 03:04:04 GMT, "Jason"
wrote:

neodymium magnets

"If swallowed, neodymium magnets can cause lethal conditions by
joining up inside the intestine."

Neodymium magnets should always be handled carefully. Some that are
slightly larger than the size of a penny are powerful enough to lift
over 10 kilograms. They are hazardous; able to interfere with
pacemakers and implanted heart devices with deadly consequences [1].
An NIB's magnetic force increases with the size of the piece of
ferromagnetic metal and larger neodymium magnets can severely pinch
skin or fingers, or even break bones when suddenly attracted to a
magnetic object. Operating a large neodymium magnet close to smaller
magnetic objects (keys, pens, etc.) and larger magnetic surfaces
(radiator or a car, for example) can be dangerous if the person is
caught between the magnet and the magnetic object or surface.

Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neodymium_magnet
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jason wrote:
davao wrote:
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little
buggers?

well the trouble is they aren't. Powerful.

However if you replace them with a load of neodymium magnets and rewind
the stator you can make a nice little model aeroplane motor..

You are kidding, right? You do know that these little flat magnets used with
hard drive coils *are* neodymium magnets?

I thought he said he had two large C shaped pieces..those are ferrite.

You can also find them in the lens assemley of old CDROM drives.

-- JJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-01-21, davao wrote:
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

I use one to reset the max/min thermometer in my greenhouse, and the
other is taped to one end of a 4ft bamboo pole, for rescuing dropped things
from behind other things.

It's useful to cover a pickup magnet with a strong plastic bag. When it
gets all hairy with filings and bits of steel wool (that's when, not if)
you can remove the bag by turning it inside-out, leaving the magnet
clean.

(There's a 6" length of heavy copper wire
glued into the other end of the bamboo, for making custom hooks for
retrieving things.) I call it my "stick of picking things up".

Snap - a 30ft fishing pole with a copper wire S-hook on the end is my
"stick of getting things down out of trees."

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

davao wrote:

Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Find the main water feed pipe to the house, position the magnets on
opposite sides of the pipe so that they attract each other, and tape
them in position.

You can then test the theory that they reduce the build-up of limescale
without forking out twenty quid or so for the privilege.

Roger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Jan 2007 09:17:57 GMT, Huge wrote:

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

the
other is taped to one end of a 4ft bamboo pole, for rescuing dropped things
from behind other things.

;-)

And that really does happen doesn't it. I found the distance things
jump / slide / roll / jamb / stick is directly proportional to their
importance / irreplaceably ... (probably someones 'Law') ;-)

All the best ..

T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On 22 Jan 2007 09:17:57 GMT, Huge wrote:

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

the
other is taped to one end of a 4ft bamboo pole, for rescuing dropped things
from behind other things.

;-)

And that really does happen doesn't it. I found the distance things
jump / slide / roll / jamb / stick is directly proportional to their
importance / irreplaceably ... (probably someones 'Law') ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Yup. I droppped a holesaw down the back of some cabinets. Used a magnet
on a stick..and lost that too!

Fortunately I have a few scrap electric model motors..the magnets of one
were enough on the end of a bit of kevlar fishing trace to recover both
items..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:01:47 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yup. I droppped a holesaw down the back of some cabinets. Used a magnet
on a stick..and lost that too!

I use a nice little strong magnet on the end of a telescopic rod (rather
like a radio aerial). Standard item from some tool shops, and pretty
cheap.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:01:47 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yup. I droppped a holesaw down the back of some cabinets. Used a magnet
on a stick..and lost that too!

I use a nice little strong magnet on the end of a telescopic rod (rather
like a radio aerial). Standard item from some tool shops, and pretty
cheap.

Yup. Thats what I lost..took a scrap £3 model motor to recover it..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

davao wrote:
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

Arthur

i've not seen it but I have read that you can do nice tricks when you
move them near a piece of copper (or oethr conductor). Drop such a
magnet down inside a copper tube, or beside a copper sheet, and it
falls very slowly because the eddy currents it induces as it falls.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"davao" wrote in message
Hi all.
Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.
So at the moment, "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded
with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative
alternatives."

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little buggers?

I also have recently stripped a faulty HD Drive (did you keep the nice
screws?). I used one to magnetize one of my posidrive screwdrivers. I can't
think of any other uses, at the moment.

Sylvain.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Wareham wrote:
davao wrote:

Had a hard drive go dead on me so took it apart
because I had heard something about magnets inside.
So I got 2 c shaped mags out of it.

Question is, any simple ideas on how to use these powerful little
buggers?

Find the main water feed pipe to the house, position the magnets on
opposite sides of the pipe so that they attract each other, and tape
them in position.

You can then test the theory that they reduce the build-up of limescale
without forking out twenty quid or so for the privilege.

Not forgetting to attach a sticker to the side and write "anti-limescale
device" on it, or it'll never work...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Bob Eager" writes:
On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 11:01:47 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Yup. I droppped a holesaw down the back of some cabinets. Used a magnet
on a stick..and lost that too!

I use a nice little strong magnet on the end of a telescopic rod (rather
like a radio aerial). Standard item from some tool shops, and pretty
cheap.

They got used as stocking fillers a couple of Christmas's ago
(CPC had them on offer at 80p each, or some such;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I thought he said he had two large C shaped pieces..those are ferrite.

You get curved (parenthesis shaped I suppose) rare earth (neodymium iron
boron) magnets in the voice coil. Handy for stringing cables round the
lab in work as we've got steel framed partition walls.

just used a pair of much smaller ones to stop the letterbox banging in
the wind - a decent hold shut even with a 2mm gap in between them.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

Find the main water feed pipe to the house, position the magnets on
opposite sides of the pipe so that they attract each other, and tape
them in position.

You can then test the theory that they reduce the build-up of limescale
without forking out twenty quid or so for the privilege.

Not forgetting to attach a sticker to the side and write "anti-limescale
device" on it, or it'll never work...

No, to make sure it works you must post the twenty quid to me and I'll
send you a leaflet telling you it works.

That way you get the full buying experience.
--

Dave