Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wbat is a hands-free meter?

Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...sbs_03_01_t_lh

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...sbs_03_01_t_lh

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Hi,
Just replace the pair of test leads with spring loaded J shaped clip
tips. Your meter becomes ands free too, LOL. Fancy word game they play
all the time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...sbs_03_01_t_lh

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Did you read the description? It states:
a.. Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I did read that, but unless the test points I want are the same
distance apart as the test lead holders, how does that help? And
even then, I'd have to hold the meter.

On a walmart page for a different meter I came across a photo of
someone with the meter strapped to his wrist, but none of the meters
incluidng that one and the 3310 I asked about say anything about
including a strap or elastic band, or being able to attach one. If I
did a lot of meter work with little in between, places to conentiently
attach a strap would be good, but I just put the meter on the car
somewhere.

Walmart pages have the advantage of very easy to use englarging, so
one can see what's written on the meter. And they sell a lot of the
same stuff, but Amazon was cheaper on 3 of the equus meters, in one
case about 60 vs. 80 dollars.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

.. .

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...timeter/dp/B00....

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. *Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: *Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" *In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Did you read the description? *It states:
a.. Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing

I did read that, but unless the test points I want are the same
distance apart as the test lead holders, how does that help? * And
even then, I'd have to hold the meter.

It's referring to hands-free for the test LEADS.
Usually when using a meter you have the meter
resting on something and you're holding the
leads in your hands. At least that's how I use
it. I agree the lead holders are of very limited
practical value. Maybe more useful to store the
lead ends than anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:29:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I still don't get it. How is it hands free, especially for the leads,
which have to be held to be put on the spots where they should go.
The pictures showed probes, not alligator clips.

Usually when using a meter you have the meter
resting on something and you're holding the
leads in your hands. At least that's how I use
it. I agree the lead holders are of very limited
practical value. Maybe more useful to store the
lead ends than anything else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The maker's site at http://equus.com/Product/Detail/17AF...B-6351A2428223
has a flash video. The thing has a strap so you can put it on your arm
like a big wris****ch, so you can hold the leads in each hand and
still have the meter in view. Looks kinda handy, actually.

The clips that hold the leads for storage are not part of the
handsfree feature.

Chip C
Toronto
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:29:57 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

-snip-

I still don't get it. How is it hands free, especially for the leads,
which have to be held to be put on the spots where they should go.
The pictures showed probes, not alligator clips.

Alligators aren't the only way to grip. This is the first diagram I
found that looks similar to one of the lead sets I have. Not
necessarily what the one you posted has, but it gives you an idea of a
non-alligator gripper-
http://www.parrot-invent.com/test_le...ps/pcmclip.htm

Those are just clips-- mine are right on a lead.

I *think* mine came from radioshack.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 2:40*pm, micky wrote:
Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...timeter/dp/B00...

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. *Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: *Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" *In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

The test probes have little grippers on them, operated by an insulated
tit.
It grips the conductor but you still have to hold the meter. It means
you can hook on without having to put the meter down somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Chip C" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 11:04 am, micky wrote:

The maker's site at
http://equus.com/Product/Detail/17AF...B-6351A2428223
has a flash video. The thing has a strap so you can put it on your arm
like a big wris****ch, so you can hold the leads in each hand and
still have the meter in view. Looks kinda handy, actually.

And easy to emulate with two big rubber bands.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 12:36*pm, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Chip C" wrote in message

On Feb 24, 11:04 am, micky wrote:

The maker's site athttp://equus.com/Product/Detail/17AFBC28-6610-4634-8E5B-6351A2428223
has a flash video. The thing has a strap so you can put it on your arm
like a big wris****ch, so you can hold the leads in each hand and
still have the meter in view. Looks kinda handy, actually.

And easy to emulate with two big rubber bands.

--
Bobby G.

The thing obviously has no hands, so it is obviously "hands free." ;
- ))

JimCo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:40:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...sbs_03_01_t_lh

BTW, if I got you interested in this, the model 3320 is only a couple
dollars more and has auto-off (with a warning beep some time before it
turns off), auto-range (if you like those things) , AC current up to
200 ma, a 3-light battery tester, instead of just the voltage (if you
like lights)

And when I played the video they all came with a wrist strap.
Although if I used a hand to hold my meter, I'd need 3 hands!! (Well,
often I jumper the ground to a ground, with an alligator clip wire,
but I still don't hold the meter. I use my free hand to scratch my
nose. )

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:19:43 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 24, 2:40*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

Hard to believe. I'm going to buy the 3320, so when it comes I will
see. If it's just a couple pointed probles I wont' post back. If
it's better than that, I'll try to. But that doesn't mean the same
people reading this thread will see that post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I tholught you were talking about b) the things on the side of the
case to hold the leads, but if you are talking -- if they were
talking -- about c) leads that hold on to wires, that would explain it
all.

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing" That sure
sounds like b to me. "Test leads that hold" woudl be c.

Reviewers wrote about b and said they didnt' hold the probes well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 24, 2:40*pm, micky wrote:
[...]

Oh, the alligator clip probes, a reviewer called them, are extra and
may not be in the pictures, but are in the "Frequently Bought
Together"***. I have several meters and about 15 of the wires with
alligator clips on each end, which I use with the meter I'm using at
the moment. Plus I have a couple grapbers and a couple really small
grabbers, J-shaped like Jim referred to, and I use them when
necessary. I'll just stick with them, but thanks to all of you for
explaining. Of course it didnt' say it was hand

BTW, the Frequently Bought Together is a lie. They often include
expensive things very similar to each other, and no one bought both.

And I read one review of a guy who bought something in that list and
found out it was also included in the big thing he bought.

But it's not the worst lie in the world.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 9:40*am, micky wrote:
And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

The manufacturer's description calls it "hands free) because it comes
with a wrist strap so you don't have to hold the meter, which is a
great idea, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it hands-free. The
seller's descriptions in several places (like amazon) are clearly
based on a misreading of the manufacturer's description:

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip
though strap for hands free testing."

That sentence could use a comma, if not a period... A picture would be
even better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...sbs_03_01_t_lh

BTW, if I got you interested in this, the model 3320 is only a couple
dollars more and has auto-off (with a warning beep some time before it
turns off), auto-range (if you like those things) , AC current up to
200 ma, a 3-light battery tester, instead of just the voltage (if you
like lights)

And when I played the video they all came with a wrist strap.
Although if I used a hand to hold my meter, I'd need 3 hands!! (Well,
often I jumper the ground to a ground, with an alligator clip wire,
but I still don't hold the meter. I use my free hand to scratch my
nose. )

At least three reviewers complained about the continuity tester and
one guy writes "If you want to measure low voltages or continuity,
make sure to replace the probes first. There is something wrong with
the metal coating of probe tips. You have to press the metal tips hard
to hear the buzzer. After I replaced the probes there was no problem.

I suspect the metal plating of the probe tips is improperly
formulated. It probably suffers from some type of oxide forming on
them that has poor conductivity. You can rub, but it immediately forms
again due to the exposure to air. " Now I'm curious. If I like the
meter, I'll trade leads with another meter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Might it accurately be called Nose-Free also?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"JimCo" wrote in message

The thing obviously has no hands, so it is obviously "hands free." ;
- ))

JimCo

Posted to alt.home.repair

"They all! include test leads. and holders. as well; as an easy slip.
though. strap for hands free testing?."

"They: all include test leads; and holders' as well as an easy slip.
though strap for hands. free! testing."

"They all include: test leads; and holders; as well as: an easy slip-
though strap (for hands free testing)."

"They? all include test leads. and holders. as well; as an easy. slip
though strap, for hands free testing."

"They all.... include test leads. and holders? as well as an "easy" slip-
though strap. for hands free testing, y'all."

Punctuation it matters,

Illustration: easy to use!
http://www.factfixx.com/wp-content/u...gled-wires.jpg

Christopher? A! Young;
Learn..... more; about!! Jesus.
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip
though strap for hands free testing."

That sentence could use a comma, if not a period... A picture would be
even better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Trouble shoot this... complete with comfort station.
http://constructionknowledge.files.w...res_toilet.jpg

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message

A picture would be
even better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 24, 5:59*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Trouble shoot this... complete with comfort station.
* * *http://constructionknowledge.files.w...5/tangled_wire...

Easy. A couple of nylon nuts and bolt will keep that seat from falling
off again...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/2012 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Trouble shoot this... complete with comfort station.
http://constructionknowledge.files.w...res_toilet.jpg

The fire extinguisher is a nice touch and I can really imagine what it's
for. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Recently I got a new Fluke 117 for like $120 on ebay. The leads seem
pretty good to me but I'm just an amateur. I like the tester but I
admit it's overkill but I bought it for its durability, exceeding my
needs and so I never have to buy another tester. Should it outlive
me, I hope to pass it on. And it's coming in handy as I will be using
it shortly to find the common wire in a 3 way switch so I can replace
the switch with a timer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Then why does the feature list say this:

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing"

Chip C
Toronto- Hide quoted text -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-02-25, Doug wrote:

admit it's overkill but I bought it for its durability, exceeding my
needs and so I never have to buy another tester. Should it outlive
me, I hope to pass it on.

It should. They're pretty much bullet proof.

Here's a pretty good tutorial on how to use 'em:

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/multimeter/index.html

nb

--
Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
Recently I got a new Fluke 117 for like $120 on ebay. The leads seem
pretty good to me but I'm just an amateur. I like the tester but I
admit it's overkill but I bought it for its durability, exceeding my
needs and so I never have to buy another tester. Should it outlive
me, I hope to pass it on. And it's coming in handy as I will be using
it shortly to find the common wire in a 3 way switch so I can replace
the switch with a timer.

It should outlast you. One thing about the Fluke is the safety rating for
it. A CAT III 600 volt rating. I am not sure of the ratings of the low
cost units. For around the house and under 250 volts the low cost units are
probably ok. I work with 3 phase 480 volt circuits that can have over 300
amps on them at times. For that I use one of several of the Fluke meters I
have. Company I work for provides them. If you ever see a safety film of
what can hapen to a nonrated meter if you hapen to have it in the ohms or
amp position and get across a voltage , you will be glad you have a quality
meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 25, 9:53*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:22*am, Chip C wrote:
The clips that hold the leads for storage are not part of the
handsfree feature.

Then why does the feature list say this:

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing"

Because the retailers don't seem to have understood the following
sentence written by the manufacturer:

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip
though strap for hands free testing."

(I would have at least put a comma after the word "holders".)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 11:12:35 -0800 (PST), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Feb 25, 9:53*am, "
wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:22*am, Chip C wrote:
The clips that hold the leads for storage are not part of the
handsfree feature.

Then why does the feature list say this:

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing"

Because the retailers don't seem to have understood the following
sentence written by the manufacturer:

"They all include test leads and holders as well as an easy slip
though strap for hands free testing."

That's it! You figured it out.

(I would have at least put a comma after the word "holders".)

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote in
:

Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...meter/dp/B000G
KEXWA/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_01_t_lh

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

It's a lot different than a hands-free meater.