Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wbat is a hands-free meter?

On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...timeter/dp/B00....

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. *Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: *Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" *In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Did you read the description? *It states:
a.. Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing

I did read that, but unless the test points I want are the same
distance apart as the test lead holders, how does that help? * And
even then, I'd have to hold the meter.

It's referring to hands-free for the test LEADS.
Usually when using a meter you have the meter
resting on something and you're holding the
leads in your hands. At least that's how I use
it. I agree the lead holders are of very limited
practical value. Maybe more useful to store the
lead ends than anything else.