Paul Clarke

Default Hands-free DIY radio?

I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

Cheers - Paul

PS - apologies but for technical reasons I probably won't be able to reply
to this post.

Lurch

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:57:47 -0000, in uk.d-i-y "Paul Clarke"
strung together this:

I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

I've got a _huge_ radio for use when working. You can hear it for
miles, it's perfect for every occasion.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Grouch

Paul Clarke wrote:
|| I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I
|| bought some years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception
|| was a bit variable in some locations but with no cables to get in
|| the way I found it very convenient for DIY. After being witness to
|| many years, on and off, of some of the worst kind of heavy duty
|| bodging it has finally bitten the dust...
|| Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio
|| (with no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else
|| just turn the radio up and let the neighours listen as well?
|| Cheers - Paul
|| PS - apologies but for technical reasons I probably won't be able to

Take a look here, you can buy cheaper elsewhere but it's just to show you
what it does.
You plug the transmitter into an Audio device i.e stero/radio/computer/ ect.
and walk around the house with headphones on your bonce.

--
Grouch

Grouch

Grouch wrote:
|| Take a look here, you can buy cheaper elsewhere but it's just to
|| show you what it does.
|| You plug the transmitter into an Audio device i.e
|| stero/radio/computer/ ect. and walk around the house with headphones
|| on your bonce.
|| --
|| Grouch

Works if you paste the URL.

http://tinyurl.com/229do

--
Grouch

Mike Barnes

In uk.d-i-y, Paul Clarke wrote:
Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman').

Try some cordless headphones (about 30 quid) with your choice of
ordinary radio or tuner.

--
Mike Barnes

Jeff Davenport

http://tinyurl.com/229do

Don't know about the radio gadget but their prices seem to be very
high on other items like media cards and blank media.
To email me just take the MICK out of my addy!
Grouch

Jeff Davenport wrote:
||| http://tinyurl.com/229do
|| Don't know about the radio gadget but their prices seem to be very
|| high on other items like media cards and blank media.
|| To email me just take the MICK out of my addy!

Well I did say (you can buy cheaper elsewhere but it's just to show you
what it does.)
There are places which these IR headphones can be bought for £20/25.

--
Grouch

Ian Stirling

Paul Clarke wrote:
I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

I find a walkman (with earphone cables) (well, actually a Sony micro-radio)
very useful.

As long as it's stuck in the pocket, not on the belt, and the cord is put
under the clothes, it doesn't snag.
Just replaced it with a MP3 player/radio.
Adding ear protection over the lead/phones is no problem.
And the reception tends to be better than with a "hat" radio, due to the
longer antenna.

Jeff Davenport

Well I did say (you can buy cheaper elsewhere but it's just to show you
what it does.)

You certainly did!

I was just amazed how some of these Internet retailers survive with
such high pricing. Presumably they don't in the long run!

Jeff

To email me just take the MICK out of my addy!
Neil Jones

"Jeff Davenport" wrote in message

Well I did say (you can buy cheaper elsewhere but it's just to show

you
what it does.)

You certainly did!

I was just amazed how some of these Internet retailers survive with
such high pricing. Presumably they don't in the long run!

You could say the same for those Internet retailers with artificially
low pricing - they'll run out of money in the end.

Neil

Mike Mitchell

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:57:47 -0000, "Paul Clarke"
wrote:

I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

Cheers - Paul

PS - apologies but for technical reasons I probably won't be able to reply
to this post.

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it
incredibly distracting. I cannot produce good workmanship when
distracted. Last summer the council was fitting all the still-LA
properties with double glazing and the workers on site were disturbing
our afternoon kip with their trannies loud enough to divert aircraft.
An e-mail to the council soon stopped it, though.

MM
Peter Taylor

"Paul Clarke" wrote in message
I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

Cheers - Paul

PS - apologies but for technical reasons I probably won't be able to reply
to this post.

Every self-respecting cricket fan has one
http://www.sinclairanddrummond.co.uk...sp?prod_ID=445

G&M

"Paul Clarke" wrote in message
I used to have a baseball cap with built-in stereo radio that I bought

some
years ago for a tenner in Boots. Admitted the reception was a bit variable
in some locations but with no cables to get in the way I found it very
convenient for DIY. After being witness to many years, on and off, of some
of the worst kind of heavy duty bodging it has finally bitten the dust...

Can anyone suggest a suitable cheap-ish replacement hands-free radio (with
no earphone cables like a 'walkman'). Or does everyone else just turn the
radio up and let the neighours listen as well?

My local BP station sells something like this. But unless you're in
Stockport I imagine that's not much help :-)

Lurch

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:10:25 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Mike Mitchell
strung together this:

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it
incredibly distracting. I cannot produce good workmanship when
distracted. Last summer the council was fitting all the still-LA
properties with double glazing and the workers on site were disturbing
our afternoon kip with their trannies loud enough to divert aircraft.
An e-mail to the council soon stopped it, though.

You miserable git ;-) I suppose you drive in the middle lane of the
motorway at 65mph as well.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Lurch

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:00:01 +0000, in uk.d-i-y Mike Mitchell
strung together this:

Drives white van men crazy!

It's you then is it? I'm sure since I got a white van traffic has got
slower!
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
PoP

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 18:10:25 +0000, Mike Mitchell
wrote:

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it

Interesting! I have a small portable radio that I take out on jobs. I
listen to John Gaunt on London for 3 hours when I get the chance.
There's always some reprobate phoning up to express their opinion on
the issues of the day

Doesn't affect me at all - in fact it is quite useful in so far that I
get the time read out every so often.

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....
Mike Mitchell

wrote:

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it

Interesting! I have a small portable radio that I take out on jobs. I
listen to John Gaunt on London for 3 hours when I get the chance.
There's always some reprobate phoning up to express their opinion on
the issues of the day

Doesn't affect me at all - in fact it is quite useful in so far that I
get the time read out every so often.

Just one of my (many!) funny little ways, I suppose. But maybe it's
because I am very musical and always have been. Thus I cannot listen
to any music as "muzak". I choose what I want to listen to (or play
myself) and then I sit down and exclude everything else. But also
speech. How can I concentrate on wiring a spur or doing intricate
fitting work on a kitchen if there's the Afternoon Play on? Not
possible, I'm afraid! I do tend to work with a digital timer rather a
lot, as there are some programmes I don't want to miss. Money Box
Live, for example. Or Any Questions. I set the timer, listen to the
programme while having a cuppa and a break, then switch the radio off
and continue working. Some while ago, while I was still working full
time as a computer programmer, some bright spark in the office found
out how to play muzak through the PABX! Any distractions and I need a
wall to go up pretty quick! Oh, I'm single, by the way...

MM

James Hart

wrote:

I cannot possibly listen to the radio while working, as I find it

Interesting! I have a small portable radio that I take out on jobs. I
listen to John Gaunt on London for 3 hours when I get the chance.
There's always some reprobate phoning up to express their opinion on
the issues of the day

Doesn't affect me at all - in fact it is quite useful in so far that I
get the time read out every so often.

Record Radio 2 to tape one day when the quizzes are on, take the tape with
you on site another day and amaze the client with your 100% score

--
James...
www.jameshart.co.uk

PoP

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 20:44:21 -0000, "James Hart"
wrote:

Record Radio 2 to tape one day when the quizzes are on, take the tape with
you on site another day and amaze the client with your 100% score

Sounds like a plan. Only problem is if you record it in the morning
and they say "we are now breaking for the 10am news", at half past
three in the afternoon.....

PoP

---
If you need to contact me please submit your comments
via the web form at http://www.anyoldtripe.co.uk. I'll
probably still ignore you but at least I'll get the
message.....

AEG frost free freezer freezes up The General UK diy 6 December 18th 05 02:47 PM
Lead free fittings Pete Cross UK diy 8 October 28th 03 10:28 AM
OT digital radio [email protected] UK diy 25 October 16th 03 11:14 PM