Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wbat is a hands-free meter?

On Feb 24, 11:22*am, Chip C wrote:
On Feb 24, 11:04*am, micky wrote:

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 07:29:57 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Feb 24, 10:21*am, micky wrote:
On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 10:08:36 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
.. .
Wbat is a hands-free meter?

I don't especially want this meter, but I do want to know why it's
called hands-free.

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3310-Han...timeter/dp/B00...

It has 2 test leads, but no robot to hold them where they should go.

I googled and they all hands free seem to be by Equus. *Is this just
some stupid marketing ploy.

Oh, here's another brand: *Omega makes a hands-free talking digital
meter, but shouldnb't this be called eyes-free?
http://www.omega.com/Pressure/pdf/HHM2.pdf
Oh, it has an asterisk after "free" and that points to "*When meter is
clipped on a belt or used on a bench" *In that case, isn't every meter
hands-free!!!

And how are those equus meters hands free when they don't talk?

I'm just sayin'

Did you read the description? *It states:
a.. Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing

I did read that, but unless the test points I want are the same
distance apart as the test lead holders, how does that help? * And
even then, I'd have to hold the meter.

It's referring to hands-free for the test LEADS.

I still don't get it. *How is it hands free, especially for the leads,
which have to be held to be put on the spots where they should go.
The pictures showed probes, not alligator clips.

Usually when using a meter you have the meter
resting on something and you're holding the
leads in your hands. *At least that's how I use
it. *I agree the lead holders are of very limited
practical value. *Maybe more useful to store the
lead ends than anything else.

The maker's site athttp://equus.com/Product/Detail/17AFBC28-6610-4634-8E5B-6351A2428223
has a flash video. The thing has a strap so you can put it on your arm
like a big wris****ch, so you can hold the leads in each hand and
still have the meter in view. Looks kinda handy, actually.

The clips that hold the leads for storage are not part of the
handsfree feature.

Then why does the feature list say this:

"Includes test lead holders for hands-free testing"

Chip C
Toronto- Hide quoted text -