Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Zennis diasppointing

On Feb 01, I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses from Zenni
Optical. They arrrived, Feb 21. As they write on the web site,
bifocals and complicated lenses take longer. So, the time was
about right. And yesterday was a holiday.

I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty
enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong
enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses,
it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close,
a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well,
guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough
correction for me to read street signs.

Not much benefit for my money.

I have emailed the Zenni service email adress, and will let you
know what I hear. And, I'm going to put my old eye glasses
back on.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 17:59:50 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

On Feb 01, I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses from Zenni
Optical. They arrrived, Feb 21. As they write on the web site,
bifocals and complicated lenses take longer. So, the time was
about right. And yesterday was a holiday.

I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty
enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong
enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses,
it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close,
a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well,
guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough
correction for me to read street signs.

Not much benefit for my money.

I have emailed the Zenni service email adress, and will let you
know what I hear. And, I'm going to put my old eye glasses
back on.

Have you been tested for Glaucoma / Macular degeneration ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi

You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the
old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly
through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is
for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my
bifocals work that way.

I order my glasses from http://www.eyebuydirect.com/catalog.html . They seem
to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their
quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay
your local optician.

Walter

www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/21/2012 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty
enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong
enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses,
it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close,
a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well,
guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough
correction for me to read street signs.

Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you
sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same
correction back.

If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses
in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.

As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an
opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any
serious problems other than simply aging...

Posted to alt.home.repair

They did the puff of air thing, so I'm guessing that's the glaucoma test.

As to macular, no.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message

Have you been tested for Glaucoma / Macular degeneration ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got an eye exam, right before sending off for my Zennis. From what I could
tell, the eye doctor did excellent job, and the prescription was wonderful.

I'm thinking that the Zenni people didn't do the job correctly. Thank you
for the link to your online place. I will take a good look at their web
site, and will seriously consider an order.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"walter" wrote in message

Hi

You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the
old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly
through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is
for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my
bifocals work that way.

I order my glasses from http://www.eyebuydirect.com/catalog.html . They seem
to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their
quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay
your local optician.

Walter

www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 21, 5:59*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
[...]

.

How old is your Rx?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bifocal doesn't do anything for distance. Bifocal means that there is a
smaller section of lens, usually down and towards the center. The smaller
section provides a different focus, for doing close work like reading,
working on the work bench, or other close vision needs.

It turns out that my new prescription (yes, I went to an eye doctor) is
milder than my old one. When the eye doctor had me dialed in, at the
machine, my "reading signs" vision was very good. The new glasses don't seem
to be the correction I requested.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you
sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same
correction back.

If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses
in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.

As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an
opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any
serious problems other than simply aging...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:49:25 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

They did the puff of air thing, so I'm guessing that's the glaucoma test.

As to macular, no.

I have had two bifocal sets of glasses. They really don't / didn't
help me much. I have early stages of Glaucoma. Mom has Macular
degeneration, so maybe something hereditary?

What works best for me is a cheap set of reading glasses from the drug
store (buy one get one free) usually 1.25 and 1.75 strength.

I don't drive at night much anymore, but the reading glasses help me
focus better. Try a pair when driving they may help.

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .

Have you been tested for Glaucoma / Macular degeneration ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

A very good question. I got the eye exam Feb 01, the
same day I put in the online order. You are very wise
to ask, I'm sure a lot of people get new glasses from
an old Rx, and expect to get better correction.

Thanks for asking, you may have saved me a lot of
trouble, if I was using an old Rx. I'm sure plenty of
people do just that.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"JIMMIE" wrote in message

How old is your Rx?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Myopic" wrote in message
Get a GPS

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm nearsighted, so reading glasses will only make things worse. You are
likely farsighted, if reading glasses help.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message

I have had two bifocal sets of glasses. They really don't / didn't
help me much. I have early stages of Glaucoma. Mom has Macular
degeneration, so maybe something hereditary?

What works best for me is a cheap set of reading glasses from the drug
store (buy one get one free) usually 1.25 and 1.75 strength.

I don't drive at night much anymore, but the reading glasses help me
focus better. Try a pair when driving they may help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you're truly blind, get a seeing eye dog that can drive. Don't laugh,
Subaru sells them, I saw them in their commercial last night.)

Otherwise, if you sit an arms length from a computer screen and can read
normal text, I suspect you could read a GPS screen sitting on your dash.

Learn more about GPS
www.garmin.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message

I have had two bifocal sets of glasses. They really don't / didn't
help me much. *I have early stages of Glaucoma. *Mom has Macular
degeneration, so maybe something hereditary?

What works best for me is a cheap set of reading glasses from the drug
store (buy one get one free) usually 1.25 and 1.75 strength.

I don't drive at night much anymore, but the reading glasses help me
focus better. *Try a pair when driving they may help.

Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can
quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the
prescription was made into glasses correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A couple of other people have suggested that same thing. I'll take care of
that, next time I get near the store. Which should likely be in a day or
two.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can
quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the
prescription was made into glasses correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Feb 01, I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses from Zenni
Optical. They arrrived, Feb 21. As they write on the web site,
bifocals and complicated lenses take longer. So, the time was
about right. And yesterday was a holiday.

I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty
enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong
enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses,
it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close,
a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well,
guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough
correction for me to read street signs.

Not much benefit for my money.

I have emailed the Zenni service email adress, and will let you
know what I hear. And, I'm going to put my old eye glasses
back on.

Astigmatism?? Doesn't sound like you have cataracts. I'm
practically an eye doctor having had my cataracts removed 6 months ago
and going thru a lot of testing and my wife just had one eye done this
week and having the 2nd done next week. So I've been educated a lot
on eye care lately. If it helps bifocals are made so the top portion
is for distance and the small bottom portion is for reading books or
stuff (not road signs). You should be able to read the signs thru the
upper portion of your bifocals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Subaru? I thought only those forign cars called "Opia" had GPS units.

Cue the music!!!! "Have you driven my Opia..... LATELY???"

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about My Opia
www.opia.com
..

"Myopic" wrote in message
If you're truly blind, get a seeing eye dog that can drive. Don't laugh,
Subaru sells them, I saw them in their commercial last night.)

Otherwise, if you sit an arms length from a computer screen and can read
normal text, I suspect you could read a GPS screen sitting on your dash.

Learn more about GPS
www.garmin.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message

Hi

You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the
old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly
through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is
for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my
bifocals work that way.

I order my glasses fromhttp://www.eyebuydirect.com/catalog.html. They seem
to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their
quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay
your local optician.

Walter

www.rationality.net

Maybe a visit back to your eye doctor with the glasses to see if they
prescripted it correctly. They should have a machine for testing.
Maybe even an optition would do it.

As someone showing signs of early stage AMD, the eye doctor can see it
when looking in your eye as little patches called something like
drosen. He gave me a grid to look at, you can google one up, and if
there appears to be breaks in it I am to call him. Usually loss of
central vision. One of my cousins discovered his problem when he
could not see his golf ball when teeing off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How do I click to make you a friend?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gpsman" wrote in message

It would be more interesting and equally appropriate to read here how
you keep mistaking Usenet for Facebook.
-----

- gpsman

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

Christopher A. Young

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

Christopher A. Young

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

Aging of Eyes Is Blamed for Range of Health Woes
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/21/he...turbances.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin,

Read about 1/2 of this thread. Here's what I understand. You have
bifocals. Your old prescription no longer works well. You have trouble
reading traffic signs, so it's "distance" vision that's giving you problems.
You go to your optometrist. He measures your eyes and prescribes weaker
distance vision. What?
Think about it. You can't see at a distance so he prescribes weaker
glasses. Doesn't make sense. Something is wrong here. It's hardly surprising
that the new glasses don't work.
Some illnesses, such as diabetes, can shrink and swell eyeballs thus
changing the ability to focus. Poorly fitted eyeglasses can also cause
problems.
likely the problem is not with the maker of the eyeglasses.
I'm betting that you bought the glasses on-line, took them out of the box
and slapped them on your face without any fitting or adjusting. That's a
real problem with on-line opticians.

Dave M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 22, 9:23*am, "Dave M." wrote:
Poorly fitted eyeglasses can also cause problems.

....and you can't buy decent-fitting eyeglasses online.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've heard from a couple people. Whose Rx has gotten milder, as they age.
I've found that if I hold my old glasses out a couple inches, the distance
sharpens right up.

You're right that I got them online, which is the only way
www.zennioptical.com sells. And you're right, I did very little adjusting.
The wire frames with pads, had to push the pads closer.

I'm going to try and find an optical place that will check (or let me check)
to see if the Rx of these Zennis is what I asked for.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dave M." wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 08:32:37 -0500, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

Christopher A. Young

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I
could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a
regular bifocal then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

Christopher A. Young

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I
could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a
regular bifocal then.

I also tried the "no-line" type and about fell on my a** when I first
tried them. They had originally told me that it would take a few days to
get used to them but after a week of no joy I regressed to the regular
line type.

Don

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think you should try to get your glasses from the same optician as
this guy. *_*

http://us.acidcow.com/pics/20120222/acid_picdump_70.jpg

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/12 10:58 am, Doug wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I
could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a
regular bifocal then.

The only bifocals I've ever had have been progressive. Never had a
problem: they work for distance, computer and reading.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/12 11:47 am, I wrote:

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through
the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches
or so, through the bottoms.

You might want to consider no-line bifocals; i.e., "progressive" lenses.
Take a bit of getting used to - couple of days - but provide you with
the
ability to find a focus point for most any distance.

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I
could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a
regular bifocal then.

The only bifocals I've ever had have been progressive. Never had a
problem: they work for distance, computer and reading.

I thought of something else. When I get a prescription, whether from the
optometrist or from the ophthalmologist, it specifies only the optical
characteristics. When I take the prescription to get the glasses made
(for the past many years it's been at Costco), they take the frame I
selected (with its clear glass dummy lenses), fit it on me and mark the
position of my pupils on the "lenses," then measure the distance from
that mark to ... (I don't know: perhaps the bottom of the lens). That
measurement is then part of the specification of the lenses that suit
*me* in that frame. Then when I pick them up, they sometimes fiddle with
the nose pads to make sure that the fit is correct and that the center
of the lens is in the correct position. How does all that get taken care
of with mail-order eyeglasses?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/21/2012 8:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
Get a GPS

You can get a Garmin with a 5 inch screen for maybe $100 and about $30
more for lifetime maps and traffic.

Once you set the gps, you need not look at it since it talks to you.

Hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

If you constantly drive around looking for addresses, you're nuts not to
have a gps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/22/12 11:47 am, I wrote:

[...]

Zenni asks for pupillary distance. Think that is all the opticians do.

Rather than measure myself, I had the eye doctor do it since I see him
every 6 months.

With Zenni you can upload a picture of yourself without glasses and go
through the frames to see what they will look like on you. You will
have to adjust the frames when you get them but the two pair I've bought
are memory titanium and fit right out of the box.

Last pair was $45, including shipping - $300 less than my optician charges.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That's my brother George. Folks say we look just alike.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I think you should try to get your glasses from the same optician as
this guy. *_*

http://us.acidcow.com/pics/20120222/acid_picdump_70.jpg

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The spec is called PD, or Pupilary Distance.

1) Measure it with a ruler, it's measured in milimeters. Needs a trusted
friend to hold the ruler, and do the check.
2) Ask your optician for the number
3) Zenni ships rulers to balance on your nose, and take your own measurement

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message

I thought of something else. When I get a prescription, whether from the
optometrist or from the ophthalmologist, it specifies only the optical
characteristics. When I take the prescription to get the glasses made
(for the past many years it's been at Costco), they take the frame I
selected (with its clear glass dummy lenses), fit it on me and mark the
position of my pupils on the "lenses," then measure the distance from
that mark to ... (I don't know: perhaps the bottom of the lens). That
measurement is then part of the specification of the lenses that suit
*me* in that frame. Then when I pick them up, they sometimes fiddle with
the nose pads to make sure that the fit is correct and that the center
of the lens is in the correct position. How does all that get taken care
of with mail-order eyeglasses?

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

Never had, used, owned, or had a GPS device in my hand, much less used one.

Now, I'll go back to scraping spiders off the ceiling. Have we had our
pills, yet?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Frank" wrote in message

You can get a Garmin with a 5 inch screen for maybe $100 and about $30
more for lifetime maps and traffic.

Once you set the gps, you need not look at it since it talks to you.

Hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.

If you constantly drive around looking for addresses, you're nuts not to
have a gps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/22/2012 5:19 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Never had, used, owned, or had a GPS device in my hand, much less used one.

Now, I'll go back to scraping spiders off the ceiling. Have we had our
pills, yet?

You don't know what you're missing. If you have to use maps, flashlight
to read street signs, etc. the gps will take their use away.
You'd be surprised how easy they are to learn and to use.

I just gave an old hand held and and old car gps to my brother-in-law
and he loves them and they are nowhere as nice as my new ones.

I just got one for my son's birthday as he's been in the habit of
calling us when he's lost when driving, wanting us to get on the
computer for directions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 09:58:29 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

When I needed glasses, I tried them once and they drove me crazy. I
could never get used to them especially for driving. I went back to a
regular bifocal then.

Once in a while that happens with some people. First pair took me a
day to get used to. I'd never go back to a regular bifocal though.
I've had progressives for about 12 years and find them perfect for
reading, computer, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" wrote in message

stuff snipped

You don't know what you're missing. If you have to use maps, flashlight
to read street signs, etc. the gps will take their use away.
You'd be surprised how easy they are to learn and to use.

I just gave an old hand held and and old car gps to my brother-in-law
and he loves them and they are nowhere as nice as my new ones.

I just got one for my son's birthday as he's been in the habit of
calling us when he's lost when driving, wanting us to get on the
computer for directions.

I just read a study that said that GPS use was affecting people's ability to
form cognitive maps. It turns out that planning your route on a map has
some benefit for your brain. I always Google and print out maps when I can,
just in case. Last year, my "Maylong" GPS took me to the middle of a
cornfield instead of my doctor's new office. Since then, I haven't been
willing to trust it completely. It does manage to nag the heck out of me
for speeding. If only I could train it to bother me about speeding only
when I am 10mph or more over. All that said, I own two (a worthless Sanyo
that has the most unfriendly user interface ever put into a GPS) and the
much cheaper, much smaller and far easier to use Maylong unit. Even plays
videos (WMV's only!) and MP3's.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2012 10:33 AM, Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message

stuff snipped

[...]

I saw that too.

I seldom use the gps but when I do, check maps, and print out Google maps.

A few months ago I was invited to celebrate an old friends renewing
wedding vows at a small church down state and using wife's gps could not
get there because a bridge was out. Following the detour the gps tried
to keep turning us back so I shut it off. Like anything, it is not a
panacea.

I did get a new one with lifetime maps and traffic which should improve
this. Think my wife wants our son to not want the gps so she can give
him cash instead and keep it for herself to replace hers.

Hunting, I use my Etrex all the time. I mark where I park my car and
where I take a stand. Makes it near impossible to get lost but I still
have my compass.

One of my sons has a gps built into his Mercedes with all the bells and
whistles like Blue Tooth and voice recognition. He only need talk to it
for it to give him directions. It failed under warranty and he was told
if he did not have the warranty, it would have cost $3,000 to repair.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 14:17:53 -0500, Lane
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

They did the puff of air thing, so I'm guessing that's the glaucoma test.

I don't think so.

Testing for glaucoma involves measuring the pressure on the optic
nerve. That's done with drops to numb the eye, then a gizmo that
presses directly up against your eye and determines the pressure.

I recall the "drops" dilate the pupil for quite sometime and you need
to have a driver to drive you home.

Also, a visual field depth test should be done occasionally.

I'm assuming you saw an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist.

As to macular, no.