Posted to alt.home.repair

Default which repairs should be first

I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2012 8:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Why does the foundation need repair?

1993 makes this a newer home. You may want to explain why you are
considering these repairs that way it will help people give more
informed opinions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Well, it would definitely be better to do the foundation before the
sheet rock or floor. Roof versus foundation is a different matter,
as far as I can see it shouldn't make much difference which you do
first. The roof should be able to shift some as the foundation is
repaired, but just for the heck of it I would probably start with
the foundation.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2012 8:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Gosh...tough choice. WHY are you considering it? Got estimates for the
repairs (which would be of utmost importance)? What needs to be done to
foundation? If the roof leaks, that makes the roof immediately
important. If foundation can't be made whole, then the roof won't
matter. The devil is in the details )
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Hmmm,
Not even 20 year old house, and needs so many repairs? Any thing in good
order? Why bother? Even if price is extremely excellent, I'd hesitate to
buy this house. Sounds like house is falling apart. Must be
poorly built.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 07:48:42 -0600, "Doug"
wrote:

I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Depends how bad it is. If the foundation is no good the roof is a
waste - and if the roof leaks like a seive, the foundation will
allwats be wet. I'd make sure the foundation is sound before wasting
money on the roof - even if it meant tarping the roof for a couple of
weeks.

Definitey fix the roof before the drywall, and the founstion before
the ceramic floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

As other say, real answer is in the unknown details...

I'd say sounds like probably needs to start w/ the drainage as a
conjecture, proceed to foundation work required and then on to the roof
and rest of structure.

But, also as others note, unless you're basically being handed the
property, sounds like a potential money $ink w/ marginal payback...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:49:59 -0600, dpb wrote:

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

As other say, real answer is in the unknown details...

I'd say sounds like probably needs to start w/ the drainage as a
conjecture, proceed to foundation work required and then on to the roof
and rest of structure.

But, also as others note, unless you're basically being handed the
property, sounds like a potential money $ink w/ marginal payback...

Yes, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts for more reasons than
mentioned.

Thanks to "ALL" who replied. My apologies I don't mention each name
but you know who you are :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2012 2:12 PM, Doug wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:49:59 -0600, wrote:

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

As other say, real answer is in the unknown details...

I'd say sounds like probably needs to start w/ the drainage as a
conjecture, proceed to foundation work required and then on to the roof
and rest of structure.

But, also as others note, unless you're basically being handed the
property, sounds like a potential money $ink w/ marginal payback...

Yes, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts for more reasons than
mentioned.

Thanks to "ALL" who replied. My apologies I don't mention each name
but you know who you are :-)

It would be interesting to know what the foundation problems are,
especially, because of the relatively young age of the house. Without
any further info, that would worry me most. If it is a crack in a slab,
it may or may not be ominous. If the ground is shifting, it may be a
much greater problem. 20 years for a builder-installed roof may be
pretty average. Even if it needs major repairs, other factors like
location and your ability to pay for all needed work could make it a
good investment....doesn't sound like a great idea for a first home or a
fixer-upper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

1993 and it needs this much work? My house was built before 1843 (so at
least 150 years older than the house you are considering buying) and all
we've had to do in the 28 years we've owned it is replace one piece of sill
plate (wood rests on stacked stone which is now at ground level) and replace
the (original!) metal roof with new decking and new metal. If a new house
(1993 is less than 20 years ago!) has cracked floor tile and needs
foundation and sheetrock repair it probably wasn't built properly in the
first place and had some major settling issues. Sounds like a teardown to
me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:13:59 -0500, "h"
wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I know what a house that was built about 1880's or so looks like and
no question except for the balloon type walls and electrical, it's a
better built house. My aunt owned the oldest home in Mohawk Valley I
was told when she was alive and I once went in the cellar and saw pegs
in the floor joists... don't remember what it was for now. I wish I
took pics of it and the house in general. The house was in the
suburbs of Utica, NY.

Anyway, no I think the slab in this house may have cracked because of
the extreme temps we had last summer and clay soil (expands and
contracts). I don't think it should be torn down but most definitely
needs in my opinion about $30k worth of work (hired help).

I was going to fix it up and rent it at first then a few years later,
sell it. My preliminary estimate for this investment property puts
the cost + repairs at 80 to 81% of market value assuming I could buy
it at my price. I haven't made any offer so it's a guess for the
moment if I could even get my offer to work. I don't think I would
lose money per se if my offer was accepted but I'm not sure I want to
get so involved. I figure it might take 3 to 4 months to fix (due to
scheduling of the pros). I'll sleep on it some more. If I lose it,
I can live with that too. I hold a real estate license and have
access to the MLS so I can find other homes... it's just that I'm
picky so that limits my considerations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote in message
On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:13:59 -0500, "h"
I can live with that too. I hold a real estate license and have
access to the MLS so I can find other homes... it's just that I'm
picky so that limits my considerations.

Everyone has access to MLS. Here's a hint: You don't need a real estate
license to _buy_ a home, nor do you need one to sell _your_ own home. So
what's the point?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 17:15:36 -0500, "Home Guy" wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 15:13:59 -0500, "h"
I can live with that too. I hold a real estate license and have
access to the MLS so I can find other homes... it's just that I'm
picky so that limits my considerations.

Everyone has access to MLS. Here's a hint: You don't need a real estate
license to _buy_ a home, nor do you need one to sell _your_ own home. So
what's the point?

No you don't have full access to MLS... well at least where I live and
I save money on commissions as well. Agreed you don't need a license
to buy or sell a house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Roof and GUTTERS, then you can start routing that water AWAY from the
foundation you're about to repair.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope you have some money left over, for the repairs. I'd do the roof, if
it's leaking. Wet inside the house is no good.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Doug" wrote in message
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:06:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . * *Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? *This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

That would depend on a lot of factors we don't know.
Like is the roof so shot that water is starting to do
damage? Was a section blown off in a storm? Is
the foundation repair some simple cracks that are
stable, or is the house falling into a hole because a
proper foundation was never built to begin with?
One red flag on the roof is that it apparently lasted
less than 20 years, which may indicate some other
issue, like inadequate ventilation.

You asked a whole bunch of questions in another
thread about repairing this house you're considering
purchasing. Please don't take this the wrong way,
but if you have to ask questions like the above, it's
probably not a good idea to buy a house that needs
a lot of work. Plenty of people with a lot more
experience have bought houses with problems and
vastly underestimated what it would cost to fix
them. If you have the necessary experience and
judgement buying a house like this for the right price
can be a great thing. If you don't, it could be hell.

I also would not rely much on home inspectors.
They frequently miss a lot of major, obvious stuff
they should have flagged. And any estimates you
get from a contractor for something like foundation
repair frequently can go out the window and into
major cost escalation once they start work and
find more problems that could not be seen until
revealed by actually starting work.

No offense taken and appreciate the advice !!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 07:13:11 -0800 (PST), Evan
wrote:

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . * *Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? *This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

@Doug:

A house that is barely considered "mature" and it has
all of those problems ? Wow... Stay away from it...

Unless you were fond of that 80's movie The Money Pit...

To address your question about which order parts of a
building should be repaired or replaced:

What order are they built in ?

The foundation comes first, if you fixed roof or interior
walls before repairing the foundation or other parts of
the structural system you might find you need to do
some of that cosmetic stuff twice if it needs to be
cut open to access parts of the skeleton of the house
that are in need of repair... If you fix the floor tiles
before the foundation/structure odds are they could
crack again if the foundation has settled unevenly
and is properly repaired to correct that settling...

As others here have said -- the house you are
looking at sounds like it has major issues -- if
you like the lot the house is on then perhaps
look at the purchase as buying the location, as
repairing a home with problems can get very
expensive, very fast... Costing more and more
to "repair" as things are opened up to fix one
problem, those areas have to be upgraded to
the current building codes... So you see that
it can quickly spiral out of control and end up
costing just as much as it would have to knock
down what was there and rebuild something new,
properly structured, weather tight and
90-something percent energy efficient...

There is a lot more that needs to be known
before a complete answer can be given, but
from your brief summary, it sounds like a
purchase you should not make...

~~ Evan

Thank you Evan. I'm definitely sleeping on this home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:49:58 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 6, 7:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . * *Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? *This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Peddle your palace as soon as you can and take the loss off your
income taxes. No house that new, that large and with all those
problems is worth what it will cost you. A logical question is, how
did you ever get trapped into buying such a money pit?
Next time you will know better.

Joe

No, I didn't buy it but I am considering it. If I buy it, I will
allow at least 20% allowance over the expenses I already know about in
repairs. I know it's going to need fdn repair, roof repair and
interior paint, spackle, tile work and maybe a new rug. That's what I
know which are to me major expenses.

In answer to others, I saw 2 small leaks in the kitchen ceiling but
they didn't look fresh to me but I will assume they still leak.
Otherwise roof looked okay but due to age, I will want new roof.
Heater was working when I entered the house but I didn't check the a/c
because it was cold outside and I didn't want to wait long enuf to
heat the house hot and then cool it off with the a/c. I did look at
the a/c outside and it looked like it had been replaced and was a
trane1200 condenser. Foundation had definitely a crack in it due to
the evidence in the walls and some tile in bathroom (one end of house)
and kitchen (on other end of house). Minor things to me that I
noticed were a garage door opener adjustment, decking (structure ok
just looks weathered) and some window screens. Obviously I didn't see
everything but I was in the house just looking for obvious or major
expenses upon my first visit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Here's my estimate for the major stuff and some minor stuff I quickly
noticed (having based on recent estimates on other homes except for
wild guesses noted) but I will get real estimates from contractors...

inside paint.... $4000
foundation.... $6000
garage door opener adj.... $250
decking (optional repair expense).... $1500 (wild guess on this)
new roof (tear off incl) .... $7000
rug..... $4000 (wild guess on this but house is 2400sq ft
with some tile)
landscaping (not extensive).... $500
misc... $9000

I know there will be tile work to some degree due to cracking and
other misc stuff so I'm hoping my $9000 will cover this.... assuming I
purchase it. Based on comps in the neighborhood and if I can purchase
it with what I have in mind... purchase price plus above is about 80
to 81% of market value. In my opinion if my repair cost is greater,
the worst scenario is I'd break even. I can buy other homes not
really in need of repair (or minor at best) but I will only get a 5%
or so discount vs this 20% discount. The 5% homes have more chance
of appreciating tho. I guess I will have to sleep more on this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

of appreciating tho. *I guess I will have to sleep more on this.- Hide quoted text -

i would get a structural engineer to look at the cracked foundation.
it may be trivial but it could be a big problem./

all homes will need painted and carpet and stuff like that.

get a home inspection and use what they uncover to beat down the
sellers price futher
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
[...]

Already have a structural engineer on this and my offer is already
beating down the list price... of course I don't know if it will be
accepted till I make the offer. I'm still thinking while looking at
other homes. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:49:58 -0800 (PST), Joe wrote:

On Feb 6, 7:48Â*am, "Doug" wrote:
Â*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Â* Â*Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? Â*This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Peddle your palace as soon as you can and take the loss off your
income taxes. No house that new, that large and with all those
problems is worth what it will cost you. A logical question is, how
did you ever get trapped into buying such a money pit?
Next time you will know better.

Joe

Joe can't read. The OP said he "is considering buying"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 6, 7:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . * *Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? *This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

Peddle your palace as soon as you can and take the loss off your
income taxes. No house that new, that large and with all those
problems is worth what it will cost you. A logical question is, how
did you ever get trapped into buying such a money pit?
Next time you will know better.

Joe

Joe can't read. The OP said he "is considering buying"

Yep and I'm the OP. I've decided to pass on this investment for a
couple of reasons of which have nothing to do with the numbers but
rather the waiting time to get the repairs done and how long it might
take to negotiate the deal too. I know the foundation guy is
backlogged about 2 months and I decided if I were to do the repairs,
I'd do the foundation first. Who knows what the other guys schedules
are so all in all, I figure at least 4 months minimum to get the house
into shape and maybe longer??? I'm not willing to wait that long
while the house sits idle. Still want to thank all tho for the ideas
/ help !!!

PCB repairs Nick UK diy 2 June 19th 09 10:07 PM
When to use low ESR in repairs .... fly on the wall Electronics Repair 3 May 5th 09 10:36 AM
Desktop PC/Server Repairs Apple Mac Repairs [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 13th 07 06:44 AM
AV repairs [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 March 18th 07 08:53 PM
Do it your self repairs [email protected] Home Repair 16 March 18th 07 04:56 PM