Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default which repairs should be first

On 2/6/2012 2:12 PM, Doug wrote:
On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 12:49:59 -0600, wrote:

On 2/6/2012 7:48 AM, Doug wrote:
I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

As other say, real answer is in the unknown details...

I'd say sounds like probably needs to start w/ the drainage as a
conjecture, proceed to foundation work required and then on to the roof
and rest of structure.

But, also as others note, unless you're basically being handed the
property, sounds like a potential money $ink w/ marginal payback...

Yes, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts for more reasons than
mentioned.

Thanks to "ALL" who replied. My apologies I don't mention each name
but you know who you are :-)

It would be interesting to know what the foundation problems are,
especially, because of the relatively young age of the house. Without
any further info, that would worry me most. If it is a crack in a slab,
it may or may not be ominous. If the ground is shifting, it may be a
much greater problem. 20 years for a builder-installed roof may be
pretty average. Even if it needs major repairs, other factors like
location and your ability to pay for all needed work could make it a
good investment....doesn't sound like a great idea for a first home or a
fixer-upper.