Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug[_14_] Doug[_14_] is offline

Default which repairs should be first

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 06:06:16 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 6, 8:48*am, "Doug" wrote:
*I'm considering buying a house that needs a new roof (shingle),
foundation repair, sheetrock repair, cracked ceramic floor tile,
etc... . * *Does the order of repair matter for the roof vs foundation
repair? *This is for a one story house (around 2400 sq feet) built
around 1993.

That would depend on a lot of factors we don't know.
Like is the roof so shot that water is starting to do
damage? Was a section blown off in a storm? Is
the foundation repair some simple cracks that are
stable, or is the house falling into a hole because a
proper foundation was never built to begin with?
One red flag on the roof is that it apparently lasted
less than 20 years, which may indicate some other
issue, like inadequate ventilation.

You asked a whole bunch of questions in another
thread about repairing this house you're considering
purchasing. Please don't take this the wrong way,
but if you have to ask questions like the above, it's
probably not a good idea to buy a house that needs
a lot of work. Plenty of people with a lot more
experience have bought houses with problems and
vastly underestimated what it would cost to fix
them. If you have the necessary experience and
judgement buying a house like this for the right price
can be a great thing. If you don't, it could be hell.

I also would not rely much on home inspectors.
They frequently miss a lot of major, obvious stuff
they should have flagged. And any estimates you
get from a contractor for something like foundation
repair frequently can go out the window and into
major cost escalation once they start work and
find more problems that could not be seen until
revealed by actually starting work.

No offense taken and appreciate the advice !!