Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default When to use low ESR in repairs ....

I've just finished repairing a failed Acer AL1912 LCD monitor in which an
electro in the main switcher output had pulled the system down. All the
electros are 105C and measure higher ESR than I'd like, so they will all be
replaced while I'm in there as routine.

There is no indication whether the existing ones were low ESR or standard. Is
there any potential issue if I fit low ESR in place of standard, or vice versa?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fly on the wall wrote:
I've just finished repairing a failed Acer AL1912 LCD monitor in which an
electro in the main switcher output had pulled the system down. All the
electros are 105C and measure higher ESR than I'd like, so they will all be
replaced while I'm in there as routine.

There is no indication whether the existing ones were low ESR or standard. Is
there any potential issue if I fit low ESR in place of standard, or vice versa?

Generally speaking low ESR capacitors are always the better choice for
power supplies as they will run cooler.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

fly on the wall wrote:
I've just finished repairing a failed Acer AL1912 LCD monitor in which an
electro in the main switcher output had pulled the system down. All the
electros are 105C and measure higher ESR than I'd like, so they will all be
replaced while I'm in there as routine.

There is no indication whether the existing ones were low ESR or standard. Is
there any potential issue if I fit low ESR in place of standard, or vice versa?

Electros in switchers should always be low ESR types.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 05 May 2009 13:15:13 +0800, fly on the wall wrote:

I've just finished repairing a failed Acer AL1912 LCD monitor in which an
electro in the main switcher output had pulled the system down. All the
electros are 105C and measure higher ESR than I'd like, so they will all be
replaced while I'm in there as routine.

There is no indication whether the existing ones were low ESR or standard. Is
there any potential issue if I fit low ESR in place of standard, or vice versa?

If they are in the output of a switcher, it is a reasonable bet that they are
low ESR. Replace with low ESR anyway.