Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hammer Drills for Electric Screwdrivers

Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've
not torn mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make
Tapcons, lags, and Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These things
are all the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost
or dead.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 10:32 PM, DanG wrote:
On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've not torn
mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make Tapcons, lags, and
Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These things are all
the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost or dead.

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy? Impact
makes more sense than hammer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 10:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

The hammer option could be turned off. On my drill you just slide a
switch to get it to hammer. These days most drills have a hammer feature
that can turn on or off

Also with drill clutches being plastic these days lots of wierd noises
come from drills. You might be hearing an adjustable clutch tighten up
or slip during fastening esp. with long lag bolts. For example my drill
has 24 clutch settings and one extra setting where the clutch will NOT
slip and the drill tries to keep drilling, sometimes injuring the
holder's wrists from the ensuing torque.

I have a feeling you are hearing the drill's clutch and not the hammer
but that's just a guess on my part.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hammer drill provides a forward pulsating motion. It's used with masonary
bits, to drill holes in cement. I've done that many times.

Impact driver uses the impact motion in a rotational direction. Helps loosen
rusted on bolts, for example.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"mcp6453" wrote in message

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy?
Impact
makes more sense than hammer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 10:32 PM, DanG wrote:
On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what
appear to be hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly
for lag bolts or long screws. Are they really using hammer drills,
or does it just sound like a hammer drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill.
I've not torn mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure
make Tapcons, lags, and Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These
things are all the rage, but it would be the first tool I would
replace if lost or dead.

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you
buy? Impact makes more sense than hammer.

I've got a Millwakee 18v and love it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 7:09*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

There are two different animals:

Hammer drill - was an option but it may be standard now on electric
drills from 3/8" on up. The "hammer" action can be turned on/off at
will.

Impact driver - hammer only, no choice and is usually a heavier and
more robust tool.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:09:31 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

They're called "impact drivers". The "impact" is radial not on-axis, like a
hammer drill. They're the greatest invention since the (female) bed warmer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:36:33 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

On 1/29/2012 10:32 PM, DanG wrote:
On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've not torn
mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make Tapcons, lags, and
Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These things are all
the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost or dead.

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy? Impact
makes more sense than hammer.

I have a Bosch 12V and an 18V. I use the 12V about 80% of the time. It's
nice and light but will still drive a #9x4" screw if you ask it to. The 18V
will drive 5/16" lag screws, though I don't very often (would rather use a
ratchet wrench).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:09:31 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

One caution. Impact drivers drive screws & such much more
efficiently than a screwdriver-- but there is no way to set them to
not strip things-- that is up to the operator.

FWIW- my screwdriver is a Milwaukee & my impact driver is a Bosch.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote in :

On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what
appear to be hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for
lag bolts or long screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or
does it just sound like a hammer drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've
not torn mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make
Tapcons, lags, and Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These
things are all the rage, but it would be the first tool I would
replace if lost or dead.

A "hammer" drill strikes the bit axially while rotating the bit,while an
impact driver has only rotational strikes on the bit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:32:27 -0600, DanG wrote:

On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've
not torn mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make
Tapcons, lags, and Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These things
are all the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost
or dead.

If I were dead, I'd want to crowbar, so I could get out of the casket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/2012 10:17 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote in :

On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what
appear to be hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for
lag bolts or long screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or
does it just sound like a hammer drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've
not torn mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make
Tapcons, lags, and Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These
things are all the rage, but it would be the first tool I would
replace if lost or dead.

A "hammer" drill strikes the bit axially while rotating the bit,while an
impact driver has only rotational strikes on the bit.

I've used my Bosch hammer drill to drive lag bolts and it does a bang up
job (no pun). ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 7:36*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/29/2012 10:32 PM, DanG wrote:

On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. *Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. *I've not torn
mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make Tapcons, lags, and
Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: *type "impact driver" in google. *These things are all
the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost or dead.

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy? Impact
makes more sense than hammer.

This is what I would recommend. It is the same one that commercial/
professional contractors use.

https://www.google.com/search?q=hilt...l917l4.3.1l8l0
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 9:36 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
On 1/29/2012 10:32 PM, DanG wrote:
On 1/29/2012 9:09 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

Impact driver. Yes, I suppose it is a bit like a hammer drill. I've not torn
mine apart yet to see what is impacting, but they sure make Tapcons, lags, and
Phillips screws work wonders.

Here is some information: type "impact driver" in google. These things are all
the rage, but it would be the first tool I would replace if lost or dead.

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy? Impact
makes more sense than hammer.

Way back when, I started my battery tool collection with commercial
Black & Decker (before DeWalt). Once you have charger(s) and batteries
it just seems to make sense to stay interchangeable and compatible. I
sometimes wish I had started out with Milwaukee, yet, the DeWalt has
proved durable. I'm sure others will laud other major brands.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/29/2012 10:59 PM, Harry K wrote:
On Jan 29, 7:09 pm, wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

There are two different animals:

Hammer drill - was an option but it may be standard now on electric
drills from 3/8" on up. The "hammer" action can be turned on/off at
will.

Impact driver - hammer only, no choice and is usually a heavier and
more robust tool.

Harry K

Just not so. My full sized DeWalt impact gun is lighter and smaller
than my DeWalt drill. The newer lighter weight impacts are almost half
the size and weight and hit as hard or harder. I've not invested in the
newer light weights because I'm waiting to wear out something I already
own or develop a specific need.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 7:09 pm, *wrote:
[...]

remove the seven- Hide quoted text -

You missed the "usually" in that? In any case I haven't bought any
tools in over 20 years so i don't know what new ones weigh. I would
assume (and yes I know) that if one is significantly lighter than they
were, then the other probably is also.

Pedantry reigns supreme.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 31, 3:27*am, DanG wrote:
[...]

The Milwaukee that I bought has this selector dial on it that you have
to remove to open the gear box. The way it’s designed, once you remove
the dial you can’t put it back on and you have to buy a new dial.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DanG wrote in :

[...]

a hammer drill is intended for drilling concrete. How often do you do that?
although,I guess you can disable the hammer function and use it as a drill-
driver.

OTOH,an impact driver is intended for driving screws,bolts and nuts,with
more torque than a regular drill-driver. I can see a lot of that sort of
use. I don't see them as very good drills,however.

Since you can use a drill-driver for both drilling and driving,that would
be my first priority. YMMV.

if you do a lot of deck screw or bolt/nut driving,then you need an impact
driver more.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 29, 7:09 pm, wrote:
[...]

an impact driver does not "hammer",it strikes in a ROTATIONAL direction.
It has more torque than a drill-driver.
a hammer drill strikes in the axial direction,while rotating the bit.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 22:36:33 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

If you were going to buy one tomorrow morning, which one would you buy? Impact
makes more sense than hammer.

I would seriously consider this tool. "Rockwell 3rill" For DIY around
the home.

Free batteries for life. You can add-on a right angle doodad too.

Video:
https://3rill.buytvtools.com/?leadsource=PS191&s_kwcid=TC-2817-9440422556-e-1078736753

I'd have to check, but this has more torque than my 18V hammer /
drill.

Check the optional accessory kits -- bottom page.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear
to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a
hammer
drill?

I have seen the impact style drills. They do have a lot of torque. A few
weeks ago, I was at Ace, and they had the dual pack of DeWalt 18v. drill and
driver, a charger, and two batteries, plus custom carrying case for $149. I
grabbed it. The first project was to install a metal roof, using about 400
selftappers with sealer. The impact did a better job than the drill, as
once it punched through, it used impact plus torque rather than just torque.
For a lot of other fasteners where you need some oomph, the impact is great.
Don't forget to buy only the bits and drivers that have the slot near the
end so it is impossible for them to fall out. Faster than the keyless chuck
to change bits, too. Plus, now I have a small masonry hammer drill for the
small holes, and don't have to pull out the big monster, which is easy to
break bits with and a whole lot harder to control.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com

hammer drills rb Home Repair 8 September 15th 09 05:53 AM
how good are electric hammer drills for cutting bolts/nuts? RB Home Repair 9 October 23rd 06 01:54 AM
SDS Hammer / Chisel Drills FAQ Andrew Gabriel UK diy 3 July 12th 06 02:16 PM
Hammer Drills Question Jim Bailey Woodworking 2 April 28th 05 05:10 AM
drills / screwdrivers Ginger_neil UK diy 9 July 28th 03 01:08 AM