Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Hammer Drills for Electric Screwdrivers

On Jan 31, 3:30*am, DanG wrote:
On 1/29/2012 10:59 PM, Harry K wrote:

On Jan 29, 7:09 pm, *wrote:
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a hammer
drill?

There are two different animals:

Hammer drill - was an option but it may be standard now on electric
drills from 3/8" on up. *The "hammer" action can be turned on/off at
will.

Impact driver - hammer only, no choice and is usually a heavier and
more robust tool.

Harry K

Just not so. *My full sized DeWalt impact gun is lighter and smaller
than my DeWalt *drill. *The newer lighter weight impacts are almost half
the size and weight and hit as hard or harder. *I've not invested in the
newer light weights because I'm waiting to wear out something I already
own or develop a specific need.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven- Hide quoted text -

You missed the "usually" in that? In any case I haven't bought any
tools in over 20 years so i don't know what new ones weigh. I would
assume (and yes I know) that if one is significantly lighter than they
were, then the other probably is also.

Pedantry reigns supreme.

Harry K