Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Hammer Drills for Electric Screwdrivers

"mcp6453" wrote in message
Often on Holmes Inspection and This Old House, the workers use what appear
to be
hammer drills as electric screwdrivers, particularly for lag bolts or long
screws. Are they really using hammer drills, or does it just sound like a
hammer
drill?

I have seen the impact style drills. They do have a lot of torque. A few
weeks ago, I was at Ace, and they had the dual pack of DeWalt 18v. drill and
driver, a charger, and two batteries, plus custom carrying case for $149. I
grabbed it. The first project was to install a metal roof, using about 400
selftappers with sealer. The impact did a better job than the drill, as
once it punched through, it used impact plus torque rather than just torque.
For a lot of other fasteners where you need some oomph, the impact is great.
Don't forget to buy only the bits and drivers that have the slot near the
end so it is impossible for them to fall out. Faster than the keyless chuck
to change bits, too. Plus, now I have a small masonry hammer drill for the
small holes, and don't have to pull out the big monster, which is easy to
break bits with and a whole lot harder to control.

Steve

www.heartsurgerysurvivalguide.com