Jim Bailey

Default Hammer Drills Question

The other thread on favorite drills got me thinking.

I've seen many post here about how great it is to use a hammer drill rather
than a regular driver. It's been said that it makes driving the screw feel
effortless. While I can easily envision this, are you guys using these in
cabinet/furniture making ? Or for outdoor, construction, and larger, heavier
projects ? I'm having trouble picturing myself putting drawer fronts and
hinges on with a hammer drill.

jim

Jim Behning

The hammer drill I have takes sds bits. It has two roles. Drilling
holes in concrete and when set in chipping mode it chips concrete. I
guess with a sharp blade you could cob wood.

My 3/8" Milwalkee (sp.) drill has some umph behind it. No woosy
cordless drill feel to it. On the other hand since the armature seems
to have some mass it does not slow down as fast as lighter weight
drills.

"Jim Bailey" wrote:

The other thread on favorite drills got me thinking.

I've seen many post here about how great it is to use a hammer drill rather
than a regular driver. It's been said that it makes driving the screw feel
effortless. While I can easily envision this, are you guys using these in
cabinet/furniture making ? Or for outdoor, construction, and larger, heavier
projects ? I'm having trouble picturing myself putting drawer fronts and
hinges on with a hammer drill.

jim

Jim B.
Steve Knight

for screws you want an impact driver. they are small light and very powerful. a
hammer drill is for masonry.
I think Amazon has the makita impact driver with a free drill in one package.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes