Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Question on water hammer

My reading indicates that water hammer is caused when a water source is
turned OFF.

Last night, we turned ON the dishwasher and there was a loud rumbing
noise. I went downstairs and saw the hot water line (downstairs is a
garage with exposed piping) shaking/vibrating pretty severely. This
stopped whenthe dishwasher started washing. No further problems later
when it entered the rinsing cycles.

Given this was our first experience with what I assume to be water
hammer, can anyone confirm the water hammer may occur if a faucet/water
appliance is turned ON? thanks.

-JC-

Interesting. Can you clarify that the inlet valve you are referring to
is part of the dishwasher? That would be good to know as the
dishwasher was only purchased last June. (Understanding I'd need to
have your suspicion verified by a service person). Thanks.

-JC-

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 03:27 AM
Slightly tricky plumbing question Andrew Koenig Home Ownership 3 November 6th 03 09:45 PM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM