Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Will search engines find my webpage?

OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

The first thing I would do is to call the dealer and ask them why they
did that and ask them to remove it. Then let them know why you will let
everyone possible know not to patronize their business because they
don't respect personal privacy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 2:58*pm, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? * *So far I think they
haven't.

If you learn HTML you can put meta tags onyour webpage that speeds
things up a lot.
Bit here on the topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_tags

If you do your webpageon some word proceesors eg "Word", you can save
as a webpage and it puts some in automatically but mostly crap you
don't want.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you think search engines will find it? * *So far I think they
haven't.

Even if they haven't yet, they will for sure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public
record.

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car
for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like
www.micky.usedcars.com.

Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.

That's a given, for all of us.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 8:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

When I did my site there was a place to put in key words. My site always
comes up on the first or second page of most searches.

www.safaricabs.com

If interested, I'm taking orders again but only for awhile. Send me the
specs and I'll build it. Prices are negotiable.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 8:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

here is the html language used in my site for "KEYWORD"

meta name="KEYWORDS" content="guitar, cabinets, speaker, wood, custom,
woodworking, musical, instruments, speakers, guitars, music, grill,
cloth, amplifiers, amps, amp, safari, cabs, pine, loud, leather,
handles, tolex, vinyl, fender, marshall, extension, 1x12, 1 x 12, 2x12,
2 x 12, 4x12, 4 x 12, half, stack, full, stack, angle, 8x12, 8 x 12,
2x10, 2 x 10, 4x10, 4 x 10, quality, "

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
JimT wrote:
[...]

I don't know about all search engines but google ignores 'KEYWORDS' due
to their over use. This link mentions the tags they do look at:

http://support.google.com/webmasters...n&answer=79812

---john.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 6:12 PM, John Haskey wrote:
In astnet,
wrote:
[...]

You noticed "meta names"?

My site has been dormate and not coming up as easily anymore. That's
okay with me though. I can't handle a lot of business.
Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:58 pm, micky wrote:
[...]

This guy does NOT want his page found. It should be easy to get rid of it,
or leave a blank page.

There was a day way back in the early browsing Internet, one day I entered
my name, gregs page, and found infosearch had found it. I was amazed. That
was it, there were no other gregs page. There was a time when google would
not recognize my gregs page. Now, when you search gregs page, it's right
back there near the top!

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

Oh, they'll find it. Google, for instance, has thousands of machines that
crawl the web looking for you. Soon, everyone will be able to find you.
Dozens of people will come to your house, not all for innocent purposes.

I'd go to the dealership, begin the conversation with "WTF...!!" and fuss
like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 12:11:00 -0500, George
wrote:

On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

The first thing I would do is to call the dealer and ask them why they
did that and ask them to remove it. Then let them know why you will let
everyone possible know not to patronize their business because they
don't respect personal privacy.

This seems to be a trend with dealers for service, making offers on
new cars, etc. From my testing, they don't show up in the public
domain and are intended for use by the dealer and recipient only.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

The first thing I would do is to call the dealer and ask them why they
did that and ask them to remove it.

Yeah, I'm going to do that, but first I wanted to know how annoyed I
should be, and how strongly I should point out to them** that they
risk harming a customer.

**Okay, now I'm going to be sure to tale to the Parts and Service
Director, instead of someone lower.

Then let them know why you will let
everyone possible know not to patronize their business because they
don't respect personal privacy.

I'm 700 miles away so I can't really do that.

BTW, when I got to the webpage, there was nothing there except a
sruvey they wanted from me, in return for a free but unspecified gift.
Thie gift might be a rear-view mirror pine tree air freshener,

And google map instructions on how to get to the dealer. If I managed
to buy the car, surely I can get to the dealer again.

I thought maybe I'd be able to take my phone of their every 3 month
call-me list, to remind me I need an oil change, but no.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:19:27 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

And it's so stupid, too, because I know where I live.

It's mostly there, I think, as the heading, the value they entered for
the google map directions list, which is also unneeded, because if I
went there to buy the car, I know how to go there again.

Thanks, and thanks everyone for the help.

So, question for everyone: Say they take it off today. Has the
wayback machine, archive.net I think it is, been crawling the web and
found it too, so even if the car dealer takes it off, will it still be
there? And more importantly, will it be googleable???

It's not there yet.

(I shoudl have called the car place without waiting to talk to you
guys. BTW, there seem to be only 12 people in the country with my
first and last name. The car dealer isn't using my middle initial. )

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.
My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.
Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

Oh, they'll find it. Google, for instance, has thousands of machines that
crawl the web looking for you. Soon, everyone will be able to find you.
Dozens of people will come to your house, not all for innocent purposes.

I'd go to the dealership, begin the conversation with "WTF...!!" and fuss
like the third monkey on Noah's gangplank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:48:11 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public
record.

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car
for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like
www.micky.usedcars.com.

Yes, it's just like that. www.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us assuming
my last name is Mouse.

So they don't have to register the name, and put it on the list of
domains google starts crawling from??

How does the DNS find it then?

Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.

That's a given, for all of us.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2012 1:48 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
wrote:

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public
record.

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car
for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like
www.micky.usedcars.com.

Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.

That's a given, for all of us.

Jon

Heck, I've tried to find myself and can't. o_O

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public
record.

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car
for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like
www.micky.usedcars.com.

Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.

That's a given, for all of us.

Jon

Heck, I've tried to find myself and can't. o_O

That's what my mother said about me, He's trying to find himself.

Now we can hire a service to do that.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 01:21:55 -0500, micky
wrote:

(I shoudl have called the car place without waiting to talk to you
guys. BTW, there seem to be only 12 people in the country with my
first and last name. The car dealer isn't using my middle initial. )

If you use your middle initial, there is only one other. I checked out
what Google has on you. I was not surprised to see your family, the
car you have , and a link to Zillow about your house. What surprised
me is the older information like the combination to your high school
locker. Oh, and a few comments from your neighbors. Amazing the
detail they have.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/28/2012 1:22 AM, micky wrote:
On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:48:11 -0800, "Jon Danniken"

Unless you lied when you set up the domain name, it is a public
record.

I doubt they registered a domain for a guy who bought a used car (or any car
for that matter). My guess is that he's on a subdomain, like
www.micky.usedcars.com.

Yes, it's just like that. www.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us assuming
my last name is Mouse.

So they don't have to register the name, and put it on the list of
domains google starts crawling from??

Only a domain needs to be registered.

How does the DNS find it then?

DNS points to the domain and google crawls everthing it can find at that
location.

Google probably knows everything there is to know about you.

That's a given, for all of us.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Agree that it is a trend that we are not allowed to have privacy. It
doesn't mean I need to go along with it or patronize a business that
violates personal privacy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 1/27/2012 9:58 AM, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

The first thing I would do is to call the dealer and ask them why they
did that and ask them to remove it.

Yeah, I'm going to do that, but first I wanted to know how annoyed I
should be, and how strongly I should point out to them** that they
risk harming a customer.

Likely some facebook/twitter devotee who thinks everyone's bowel
movements, cereal choice and activities by the second should be
publicized made the decision to have the program. I would make noise
until I got as high up on the food chain as I could.

**Okay, now I'm going to be sure to tale to the Parts and Service
Director, instead of someone lower.

Then let them know why you will let
everyone possible know not to patronize their business because they
don't respect personal privacy.

I'm 700 miles away so I can't really do that.

There are various sites where you can post your experiences with
businesses.

BTW, when I got to the webpage, there was nothing there except a
sruvey they wanted from me, in return for a free but unspecified gift.
Thie gift might be a rear-view mirror pine tree air freshener,

And google map instructions on how to get to the dealer. If I managed
to buy the car, surely I can get to the dealer again.

I thought maybe I'd be able to take my phone of their every 3 month
call-me list, to remind me I need an oil change, but no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 27, 8:58*am, micky wrote:
OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? * *So far I think they
haven't.

If you didn't authorize the web page I would go to his showroom and
demand, not ask, that it be taken down now! Again, do it in the
showroom - loudly.

In answer to your main question: Yes - the web browsers will probably
catch up with it but it might take a month or more. Browsers collect
information from "spiders" which are systematic queries that crawl the
internet and collect information from web sites. The main source they
query is in header material that is invisible to the surfer, but
provides pertinent informant about the site. This is the area that
developers populate with the important information, key words and
phrases that they want the browsers to see. Well populated headers
tend to move a page up, in ranking, with browsers.

But - body information, like your name and personal information can
very well show up too. We set up a couple of pages for our local
community a year or two ago. One has very well populated header
information. It took about 3-4 weeks before information started
showing up through browsing; but then, over a period of about another
month we became very easy to find. In fact, our museum site pops to
the top of Google if you enter the first two words. But other words
and terms, not included in the headers, also pop up with casual
browsing.

If these turkeys did this without your permission, they have violated
your privacy.

Do you know what you signed when you made the purchase?

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Yes, it's just like that. www.MickyMouse.servicemyFord.us assuming
my last name is Mouse.

So they don't have to register the name, and put it on the list of
domains google starts crawling from??

Nope, just the 'servicemyFord.us' part is a registered domain.

How does the DNS find it then?

There is a DNS entry for 'servicemyford.us', and any subdomain will be
located at the same IP. Think of it as an internel folder called MickyMouse
that is on the servicemyford.us machine.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

gregz wrote:
harry wrote:
On Jan 27, 2:58 pm, micky wrote:
[...]

It is at the top!!!!

Google also like to rank pages according to how many other pages link to
it. It has high priority. Of course, funding also sets priority.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A good point. I do know about those pages.

with my name has to be registered, if I understood you correctly, and
that means for sure that search engines will read the new names on
the registration list and find this page eventually, right?

BTW, when I got to the webpage, there was nothing there except a
sruvey they wanted from me, in return for a free but unspecified gift.
Thie gift might be a rear-view mirror pine tree air freshener,

And google map instructions on how to get to the dealer. If I managed
to buy the car, surely I can get to the dealer again.

I thought maybe I'd be able to take my phone of their every 3 month
call-me list, to remind me I need an oil change, but no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(I shoudl have called the car place without waiting to talk to you
guys. BTW, there seem to be only 12 people in the country with my
first and last name. The car dealer isn't using my middle initial. )

If you use your middle initial, there is only one other. I checked out
what Google has on you. I was not surprised to see your family, the
car you have , and a link to Zillow about your house. What surprised
me is the older information like the combination to your high school
locker.

Even I don't remember that.

Oh, and a few comments from your neighbors.

I have worse to say about them.

Amazing the
detail they have.

Darn.

OTOH, Facebook has been talking about how careful they are to make
members use real names. What ARE they talking about? I used a phoney
name and they have to no way to tell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 08:24:36 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Jan 27, 8:58*am, micky wrote:
[...]

Yes, I have copies of everything I signed. I read it all 6 months
ago. I've forgotten what it said, but it was straightforward. if it
covered anything like this, I would have noticed and remembered.

I actually signed something where I agreed to sign other things later
if they failed to have me sign everything. But I never signed
anything later.

I think they didnt' seek permission because they don't know why anyone
would object. It's a very big dealership, something like 40 bays in
the service dept., but I think they are small-town boys, far from a
big city.

Maybe some customers are so ego-starved that they actually feel good
when they see their name on a webpage.

(My 1995 car blew its head gasket on the road, so I rented a car, had
the old car checked and the repair cost verified, and then bought
another car where I was. It took 6 days, Friday afternoon to Thursday
morning.)

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:44:48 -0500, micky
wrote:

I checked out
what Google has on you. What surprised
me is the older information like the combination to your high school
locker.

Even I don't remember that.

Mine was 19 - 20 - 1
My first bike lock was 11 - 5 - 2

Don't ask me what I had for lunch though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 09:58:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

OT

Yesterday I found out when he mailed me a glossy advertisement for the
service deparatment that the dealer where I bought a used car 6 months
ago made up a webpage with my first and last name as part of the url.
And my home address on the page.

I've gone to a lot of trouble to keep my home address out of the phone
book and off the web.

My name is in the high level domain area, between www and .com.

Do you think search engines will find it? So far I think they
haven't.

I'm embarrassed to say that I forgot** that the ad they mailed me
contained the password for the webpage, so IIUC that means even if
google comes up with the webpage, it wlll still require a password,
which no one else will have.

I hope you all don't feel I wasted too much of your time.

**I only used the password once, then kept looking back at the page
for 3 days. I don't think I would have forgotten about the password
10 years ago.