Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heating oil prices give the shivers

"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices
have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels
this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of
several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy
Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more
than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...=1&ref=science

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jan 23, 5:37*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices
have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels
this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of
several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy
Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more
than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...costs-surge-an...

So it makes perfect sense to cancel the Canadian pipeline
project...yeah right.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

On 23/01/2012 6:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices
have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels
this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of
several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy
Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more
than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...=1&ref=science

My last fill up, three weeks ago, was $108.9 a litre plus 13% HST
(Harmonized Sales Tax) on top of that. This is in Ontario, Canada. So,
in my opinion, you're still getting off cheap. Enjoy it while you can.

Gil

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 23, 4:51*pm, Gil wrote:
On 23/01/2012 6:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:

"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices
have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels
this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of
several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy
Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more
than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...costs-surge-an...

My last fill up, three weeks ago, was $108.9 a litre plus 13% HST
(Harmonized Sales Tax) on top of that. This is in Ontario, Canada. So,
in my opinion, you're still getting off cheap. Enjoy it while you can.

Gil

yes, I would like to see a federal initiative to build out natural gas
to neighborhoods that don't have it and replace oil fired home heating
with NG.

that will provide jobs,
reduce oil imports
help the trade imbalance
lower energy cost for homeowners

it's a win win win

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2012 4:51 PM, Gil wrote:
[...]

OK, that says One Hundred Eight Dollars and 90 Cents a Litre. Any
chance that decimal point is off 2 digits?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Gil Gil is offline

On 23/01/2012 8:20 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/23/2012 4:51 PM, Gil wrote:
[...]

Probably a good chance. You got Me! You're right - should be $1.089.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 20:20:52 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

My last fill up, three weeks ago, was $108.9 a litre plus 13% HST
(Harmonized Sales Tax) on top of that. This is in Ontario, Canada. So,
in my opinion, you're still getting off cheap. Enjoy it while you can.

OK, that says One Hundred Eight Dollars and 90 Cents a Litre. Any
chance that decimal point is off 2 digits?

I'm sure it is and it is still relatively cheap compared to Europe.
When I was there a couple of months ago, it was 1.45 Euro per liter or
about $1.87 US. Little wonder that they keep there houses in the 50's
rather than the 68-72 we've become used to here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:19:44 +0100, "OH" wrote:

I'm sure it is and it is still relatively cheap compared to Europe.
When I was there a couple of months ago, it was 1.45 Euro per liter or
about $1.87 US. Little wonder that they keep there houses in the 50's
rather than the 68-72 we've become used to here.

No....the oil (for cars)you buy in service stations is around 1.40, but
heating oil is around 1 euro; that's quite enough.
It was 0.75 euro a year and a half ago.

Depends on the country and it varies considerably.

The owner of the villa we rented in Italy said it is about the same
for diesel fuel as for heating oil. This will give you some idea of
the prices
http://www.energy.eu/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Probably a good chance. You got Me! You're right - should be $1.089.

Outside Toronto it's $1.22 a litre today. That includes sales tax of
13%. 1 litre is a wee bit bit more than a US quart.

Whats funny is even though Canada has the second largest proven reserves
of crude oil in the world, we need the Americans to turn it into
gasoline for us because our own refining capacity can't handle too much
oil sands "oil".

Therefore Canada is not just a large exporter of oil to the USA, Canada
is also one of the largest importers of oil from the USA.

Talk about a catch-22 for Canadians

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/23/2012 5:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil prices
have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach record levels
this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil and the shutdown of
several crucial refineries in the Northeast and in Europe. The Energy
Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon over the next few months, more
than a dollar above the winter average for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...=1&ref=science

I don't know anyone who uses oil for home heating here in Alabamastan.
All I've ever seen around here for fuel to heat homes is wood, propane
or natural gas. I've often wondered why oil heat is so prevalent in the
Northern states unless it has to do with older infrastructure and the
availability of NG in those areas.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 1/23/2012 5:37 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"While natural gas prices have plummeted to 10-year lows, heating oil
prices have been steadily rising for years and are expected to reach
record levels this winter, precipitated by higher costs for crude oil
and the shutdown of several crucial refineries in the Northeast and
in Europe. The Energy Department projects a price of $3.79 a gallon
over the next few months, more than a dollar above the winter average
for the last five years."

Brrrr!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/bu...osts-surge-and
-many-in-northeast-cant-switch.html?_r=1&ref=science

I don't know anyone who uses oil for home heating here in Alabamastan.
All I've ever seen around here for fuel to heat homes is wood, propane
or natural gas. I've often wondered why oil heat is so prevalent in
the Northern states unless it has to do with older infrastructure and
the availability of NG in those areas.

TDD

Here in the NE (speaking from experience in MA, NY, NJ) it's older
infrastructure, ie older homes used initially coal or oil for firing
heating systems. And then it became for many easier to do upkeep, repair
and modernization on those furnaces. Anyone who has a chance should
change to NG, and many have. The things to weigh is that on the one
hand, you pay for oil upfront at a price that's at the whim of the
market, while for NG you pay after it is consumed. (budget plans
generally available). On the other hand changing over means paying a
rather big one-time set of charges - removal of oil tank, and purchase of
a new system.
--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/25/2012 6:13 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

[...]

Many older homes here to had coal burning furnaces for heat using the
old "octopus" duct work that used convection to move the air. Many were
converted to NG burners years later with many being replaced by more
modern forced air systems during remodels. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

The Daring Dufas wrote in
:

On 1/25/2012 6:13 AM, Han wrote:
The Daring wrote in
:

[...]

We had a NG fired steam heat system in the home we bought in 1998. We
remodeled and replaced the system with a pumped hot water baseboard
system, again NG when everything was open. Whether there ever was oil
here I am not sure - the only evidence is a ridge on the basement floor
that might have covered an oil line, no evidence of an oil tank anywhere.
But the remnants of a coal chute are still there ... Home dates from
1929, one of the first in Radburn, which a few year ago received
recognition as a national historic site, and where architecture students
from all over come to gawk/yawn/admire ...
http://radburn.org

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Jan 2012 12:13:54 GMT, Han wrote:

Anyone who has a chance should
change to NG, and many have. The things to weigh is that on the one
hand, you pay for oil upfront at a price that's at the whim of the
market, while for NG you pay after it is consumed. (budget plans
generally available). On the other hand changing over means paying a
rather big one-time set of charges - removal of oil tank, and purchase of
a new system.

I'd change at any time. The problem though, is the lack of a NG line
on my street. When I moved here, I was the only house, about $30,000
from the nearest gas line. Two more houses have been built since, but
it would still be tens of thousands of bucks to run a line to the
three of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:56:48 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I'd change at any time. The problem though, is the lack of a NG line
on my street. When I moved here, I was the only house, about $30,000
from the nearest gas line. Two more houses have been built since, but
it would still be tens of thousands of bucks to run a line to the
three of us.

DIY

They won't let me dig up the street for a half block or so and cross
an intersection.