Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge?

On Jan 20, 2:01*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
Got some new speaker wire from an Amazon vendor today. *It was claimed to be
14GA but looks to be a bit less. *The wire is marked 14GA but the bag says
BRX-14 and nothing about gauge or size of any kind other than 100' (I
probably should measure that, too). *When the bag appears to describe an
industry standard but doesn't, I get suspicious. *Well, even more suspicious
than usual. *(-:

Lately I've found that many things, from wires to batteries, that have
standard ratings here in the US are fudged there in China. *Batteries marked
2500 and marketed as 2500mAH are actually in the sub 1200 range. *Wire
marketed as Cat 6 came in a bag re-labeled with a small dot label that said
"6" applied wherever "5" appeared on the bag. *The wire itself was actually
marked Cat 5.

In this case, the wire jacket is that of typical 14GA wire, but the copper
strands are almost identical to the remnants of a spool of Gemini EIGHTEEN
gauge wire. *They appeared to have jumped two full wire sizes in this scam
or mislabeling.

The Chinese AA NiMh fraudsters are so common whole sites are devoted to
tracking them down.

http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2010/03...bty-batteries/

Anyway - what's the test for 14GA stranded wire? *I've got the typical
multislot stripper crimpers to use as a gauge and electronic calipers. *Any
other tests?

--
Bobby G.

_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:55:00 -0800 (PST), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:01Â*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
Got some new speaker wire from an Amazon vendor today. Â*It was claimed to be
14GA but looks to be a bit less. Â*The wire is marked 14GA but the bag says
BRX-14 and nothing about gauge or size of any kind other than 100' (I
probably should measure that, too). Â*When the bag appears to describe an
industry standard but doesn't, I get suspicious. Â*Well, even more suspicious
than usual. Â*(-:

Lately I've found that many things, from wires to batteries, that have
standard ratings here in the US are fudged there in China. Â*Batteries marked
2500 and marketed as 2500mAH are actually in the sub 1200 range. Â*Wire
marketed as Cat 6 came in a bag re-labeled with a small dot label that said
"6" applied wherever "5" appeared on the bag. Â*The wire itself was actually
marked Cat 5.

In this case, the wire jacket is that of typical 14GA wire, but the copper
strands are almost identical to the remnants of a spool of Gemini EIGHTEEN
gauge wire. Â*They appeared to have jumped two full wire sizes in this scam
or mislabeling.

The Chinese AA NiMh fraudsters are so common whole sites are devoted to
tracking them down.

http://dansdata.blogsome.com/2010/03...bty-batteries/

Anyway - what's the test for 14GA stranded wire? Â*I've got the typical
multislot stripper crimpers to use as a gauge and electronic calipers. Â*Any
other tests?

--
Bobby G.

_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC

Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bobby G.

_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC

Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????

Tee hee!

The "Monster" folks like to push wires with a thick layer of transparent
plastic insulation. It makes the copper wire inside look larger.
They figured out that clear plastic is less expensive than copper.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:36:20 -0500, John Gilmer
wrote:

Bobby G.
_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC

Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????

Tee hee!

The "Monster" folks like to push wires with a thick layer of transparent
plastic insulation. It makes the copper wire inside look larger.
They figured out that clear plastic is less expensive than copper.

Other companies sell battery jumper cables like that too. I'm sure
you can see the actual wire in the alliagor clip, but I'll bet most
don't look.
Posted to alt.home.repair

ChrisCoaster wrote:
_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

Heh! Want to have some fun? Read the letter from Tartan Cable's president to
the lawyers representing Monster Cable. Here's a couple of bits:

"Dear Monster Lawyers,

"Let me begin by stating, without equivocation, that I have no interest
whatsoever in infringing upon any intellectual property belonging to Monster
Cable. Indeed, the less my customers think my products resemble Monster's,
in form or in function, the better."

and

"I say this because my observation has been that Monster Cable typically
operates in a hit-and-run fashion. Your client threatens litigation,
expecting the victim to panic and plead for mercy; and what follows is a
quickie negotiation session that ends with payment and a licensing
agreement. Your client then uses this collection of licensing agreements to
convince others under similar threat to accede to its demands. Let me be
clear about this: there are only two ways for you to get anything out of me.
You will either need to (1) convince me that I have infringed, or (2) obtain
a final judgment to that effect from a court of competent jurisdiction."

Read the whole (long) thing:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...s-strikes-back

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/21/2012 5:32 AM, HeyBub wrote:
ChrisCoaster wrote:
_______
[...]

HA! that's a good read! I've known from their inception that monster
cables were a scam and couldn't believe ANYone buys their products. But
the public is stupid.... GOOD FOR THAT GUY!!

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????- Hide quoted text -

_______________
Ooh yeah!! That too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 21, 11:35*am, Steve Barker wrote:
*But
the public is stupid.... *GOOD FOR THAT GUY!!

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

___________________
The same public that pushed Gingrich over the top in SC a few hours
ago...
Posted to alt.home.repair

ChrisCoaster wrote:
_______
[...]

I've never bought anything from BJC, but should I decide to take a step
up in quality from the Monoprice stuff I've been using for my audio
hookup needs, BJC's tech specs and articles on their web site actually
pass the sniff test, in a refreshing change from the usual audiophile
marketing copy. I ran across them after reading some audio forums for a
while and it seems like the consensus was monoprice for consumer grade,
BJC for those who insist on high quality, and you'd better make a darn
good case for spending more than BJC's prices for any cables. (but of
course there are always those who claim to be able to tell the difference.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jan 21, 11:35 am, Steve Barker wrote:
But
the public is stupid.... GOOD FOR THAT GUY!!

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

___________________
The same public that pushed Gingrich over the top in SC a few hours
ago...

Well, since God can't be president...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It's important to have high quality equipment.

I found ut that the AC plug on the end of my AC cords were not heavy
duty enough and were not gold-plated. For only 25 dollars a piece, I
could get new AC plugs for my TV, Audio Receiver, Amp, and Equilizer.

Now it turns out I Have to buy a gold-plated electric receptacle, so
that I get good electrical connections on both halves of the
connection. $45 but I only need one.

I may have to replace the wire from the plugs to the boxes, but that
should only be another 20 dollars for each. 45 if I pay someone to do
it. But if you want good sound and good picture, you need good
electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 05:11:19 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote:

ChrisCoaster wrote:
On Jan 21, 11:35 am, Steve Barker wrote:
But
the public is stupid.... GOOD FOR THAT GUY!!

remove the "not" from my address to email- Hide quoted text -

___________________
The same public that pushed Gingrich over the top in SC a few hours
ago...

Well, since God can't be president...

Why not? You don't think he can PhotoShop a birth certificate?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? Â*They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. Â*That's why I dont buy anything
[...]

Don't forget - ALL the wire needs to be "oxygen free" or the
harmonics will damage your ears. Getting the oxygen out has to be a
difficult process, judging by the premium they charge for the wire.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's important to have high quality equipment.

I found ut that the AC plug on the end of my AC cords were not heavy
duty enough and were not gold-plated. For only 25 dollars a piece, I
could get new AC plugs for my TV, Audio Receiver, Amp, and Equilizer.

Now it turns out I Have to buy a gold-plated electric receptacle, so
that I get good electrical connections on both halves of the
connection. $45 but I only need one.

I may have to replace the wire from the plugs to the boxes, but that
should only be another 20 dollars for each. 45 if I pay someone to do
it. But if you want good sound and good picture, you need good
electricity.

Do not forget to get enough oxygen free wire to go to the breaker, a super
breaker, and enough wire to reach from your house to the power generating
station.. YOu do not want the electrons in the copper contaminated with
the oxygen :-))

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Gilmer" wrote in message

Bobby G.
_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC

Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????

Tee hee!

The "Monster" folks like to push wires with a thick layer of transparent
plastic insulation. It makes the copper wire inside look larger.
They figured out that clear plastic is less expensive than copper.

These fraudsters have figured it out, too. This wire is the same OD as 14GA
but that's mostly jacket. The wire size is either 16 or 18GA just based on
eyeballing it and comparing it to remnants of speaker wire I still had left
"on spool."

Now the trick is to get Amazon to get them to stop selling selling
mislabeled crap as 14GA. I know that Ebay couldn't care less - it was their
vendors selling "uplabeled" CAT 5 wiring as CAT 6 that made me stop buying
from them. Maybe it's Amazon's turn now.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 21:36:20 -0500, John Gilmer
wrote:

Bobby G.
_______
You sure this stuff isn't frm Monster? They're notorious for not
putting gauge on their speaker wire. That's why I dont buy anything
from them!

-CC
Not because their stuff is terribly over-proced????

Tee hee!

The "Monster" folks like to push wires with a thick layer of transparent
plastic insulation. It makes the copper wire inside look larger.
They figured out that clear plastic is less expensive than copper.

Other companies sell battery jumper cables like that too. I'm sure
you can see the actual wire in the alliagor clip, but I'll bet most
don't look.

I've seen that scam, too. The problem with Amazon selling crap like this is
that you don't get to inspect the goods until *after* you've purchased them.
I would have taken one look at the wire in a brick and mortar shop and KNOWN
they were trying to cheat me.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 17:28:04 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

If you both say this, it must be important. I'll talk to my
electronics advisor. I'm gettting very annoyed that he didn't tell me
about this.

But if I work enough overtime this month, I guess I can afford it.

How can I tell whether speaker wire is 14 gauge? N8N Home Repair 10 January 23rd 12 08:28 PM
wire gauge greif Home Repair 8 June 30th 07 12:31 PM
Can I stick two 4 gauge and one 6 gauge wire into a 3/4" conduit Ignoramus29948 Home Repair 11 September 13th 06 12:32 PM
speaker wire habbi Metalworking 126 March 14th 05 10:49 PM