Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wire gauge

hi

I will be building a shed and want to run 100 amp 240v service into it
from my house (house main is 200 amp).

what gauge wire do I need? it will be about 145 feet ( 60 feet
underground in conduit)

thanks

#3 copper or #1 aluminum, minimum, and make sure you run four wires (2 hots,
neutral, and ground) -- but why 100A in a shed??

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

#3 copper or #1 aluminum, minimum, and make sure you run four wires (2
hots,
neutral, and ground) -- but why 100A in a shed??

--

Price out that #3 copper and you may find that a 30A or 60A service will
suite your needs. I have 30A 240V in my garage/shop and it handles al my

Posted to alt.home.repair

in the past I've done too many thing where I didn't prepare for the
future, so do i need 100 amp now, no but maybe someday

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om, greif wrote:
in the past I've done too many thing where I didn't prepare for the
future, so do i need 100 amp now, no but maybe someday

Even 60A should be plenty to run stuff like arc welders and air compressors.
But it's your shed, and your money.

I'm just sayin'...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

DA had written this in response to
http://www.thestuccocompany.com/main...ge-229652-.htm :
greif wrote:

hi

I will be building a shed and want to run 100 amp 240v service into it
from my house (house main is 200 amp).

what gauge wire do I need? it will be about 145 feet ( 60 feet
underground in conduit)

thanks

There are a few gauge vs. current vs. voltage drop online calculators
online, such as this one:

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

News and Discussions Community of the Net
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article om, greif
wrote:
in the past I've done too many thing where I didn't prepare for the
future, so do i need 100 amp now, no but maybe someday

Even 60A should be plenty to run stuff like arc welders and air
compressors.
But it's your shed, and your money.

I'm just sayin'...

--
Regards,

What we did in the past is to provide provisions for a future 100A service
like underground conduit and sub panel sized for 100A but pull 30A cables
for now. If the OP needs 100A for the shed, he has to upgrade the house main
panel anyway. I have lots of power tools like drill presses, table saws,
planer, compressors, welder etc. but I only use one tool at a time so 30A at
240V is more than enough until I install an AC unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We ran a detached garage 250' from the house for 40 years on a buried 10/3.
Welder, lights, air compressor, grinders, heat, never a flicker, never a
tripped 30a in the house.

--
Steve Barker

"greif" wrote in message
ps.com...
in the past I've done too many thing where I didn't prepare for the
future, so do i need 100 amp now, no but maybe someday

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html has a handy calculator for
determining the wire guage needed for a circuit length.

Rich
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com