Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Siding

Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...=IMG_08011.jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

picture of the property:http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&curr...

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

Get quotes on painting. Get quotes on vinyl siding. The latter are
usually very competitive with so many firms in the business, and the
installers are usually quite competent and quick. The paint will look
better, the vinyl last somewhat longer. Make your decision on which
you value most.
if it were mine, I'd paint it.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 19:25:48 -0800 (PST), camryguy
wrote:

Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...=IMG_08011.jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

I still like good aluminum siding over vinyl. More durable - and to
my eye better looking. You want SUPPORTED aluminum though
Posted to alt.home.repair

camryguy wrote:
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011.jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

On the presumption that you purchased the house in the first photo,
my compliments on buying a very nice looking house. I'd paint.
Vinyl siding has a cheap look. If you really do not want to paint
every 7 to 10 years, get aluminum siding.

Now if we're discussing the house in photos 2 thru 11, WTF were you
thinking when you bought this barn. My first thought was "Too bad
arson is a felony with no statute of limitations."

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...=IMG_08011.jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

*That house has some character. It would be a shame to clad it in a sterile
wrap. I would get prices for a good paint job that includes a lot of prep
work in order to get a long lasting finish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/19/2012 11:40 PM, Joe wrote:
On Jan 19, 9:25 pm, wrote:
[...]

What kind of siding is that? Looks too new to be asbestos, maybe not?
If it is asbestos it's fine where it is, but does it become hazmat when
removed?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 7:50*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&curr....

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

*That house has some character. It would be a shame to clad it in a sterile
wrap. *I would get prices for a good paint job that includes a lot of prep
work in order to get a long lasting finish.

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 2:40*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
camryguy wrote:
[...]

Yes, your assumption is correct. I did buy the house in the first
picture. The rest were shots of a house before it was demolished.

If I lived in the property, I would have no problem painting it, this
is merely an investment with both sides generating rental income. I
need something that will last, look good, and will require minimal
maintenance. I will get quotes for both vinyl and aluminum and proceed
from there. Thanks for the reply!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 05:29:44 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 20, 7:50Â*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...tion=view&curr...

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

*That house has some character. It would be a shame to clad it in a sterile
wrap. Â*I would get prices for a good paint job that includes a lot of prep
work in order to get a long lasting finish.

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.

The siding is NOT wood. Looks better than vinyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 2:33*pm, camryguy wrote:
On Jan 20, 1:01*pm, wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 06:40:03 +0000 (UTC), (Dick

Adams) wrote:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_0801 1.jpg

* The picture in #1 looks like johns manville siding - not wood -
which takes paint quite well, and the paint lasts a LONG time.

The siding is ASBESTOS cement. Not an issue if you leave it be. Might
be an issue to remove - but not serious... Unless there is damage I'd
just paint it

It is wood--Its cedar shake siding.

My neighbor has cedar shake on a 1800 sq ft colonial.

A few years after he moved in he sanded/melted/scraped off the paint
down to the cedar on the entire house, primed and then painted.

He has repainted twice since then, once the same color and just
recently a different color. Some sanding down to the cedar each time,
but certainly not the entire house.

That's 3 paint jobs in 20 years. Did it need it each time? Not that I
could tell, but I'm sure he inspects at his house a lot more carefully
than I do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:31:45 -0800 (PST), camryguy
wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:40Â*am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
camryguy wrote:
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

On the presumption that you purchased the house in the first photo,
my compliments on buying a very nice looking house. Â*I'd paint.
Vinyl siding has a cheap look. Â*If you really do not want to paint
every 7 to 10 years, get aluminum siding.

Now if we're discussing the house in photos 2 thru 11, WTF were you
thinking when you bought this barn. Â*My first thought was "Too bad
arson is a felony with no statute of limitations."

Yes, your assumption is correct. I did buy the house in the first
picture. The rest were shots of a house before it was demolished.

If I lived in the property, I would have no problem painting it, this
is merely an investment with both sides generating rental income. I
need something that will last, look good, and will require minimal
maintenance. I will get quotes for both vinyl and aluminum and proceed
from there. Thanks for the reply!

What is there NOW, painted, will outlast either aluminum or vinyl on
a rental property. The stuff is durable - and takes paint well.
Vinyl can look like crap in a few years if it gets hit, particulatly
cold - and the corner caps are also fragine. Aluminum will dent if hit
- good quality supported aluminum not as bad - and the Johns-Manville
siding just keeps on keeping on unless it is hit hard enough to
fracture it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Adams) wrote:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_0801 1.jpg

Â* The picture in #1 looks like johns manville siding - not wood -
which takes paint quite well, and the paint lasts a LONG time.

The siding is ASBESTOS cement. Not an issue if you leave it be. Might
be an issue to remove - but not serious... Unless there is damage I'd
just paint it

It is wood--Its cedar shake siding.

Check again. The picture shows regular sized (as contrasted with
random sized) "shakes". Cedar doesn't come that way, in my experience.
There are numerous houses in my neighbourhood that look EXACTLY tile
that. All Johns-Manville siding. If I was a betting man I'd say it was
a pretty sure bet. I'd say 99.9+%
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a
cold day. I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail
doesn't cool it that fast). I imagine even good aluminum will dent
nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants
seem to do when it's not there own property. Wood is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...=IMG_08011.jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

I still like good aluminum siding over vinyl. More durable - and to
my eye better looking. You want SUPPORTED aluminum though

My first house had vinyl-clad aluminum. It was pretty nice stuff but I'd
rather have the Hardi products today. Our current house is Hardi-panel and I
like it a lot. A decade or so back, I replaced the siding on our VT house
with cedar and knowing what I do now, I'd use Hardi-plank in a heartbeat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Adams) wrote:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_0801 1.jpg

* The picture in #1 looks like johns manville siding - not wood -
which takes paint quite well, and the paint lasts a LONG time.

The siding is ASBESTOS cement. Not an issue if you leave it be. Might
be an issue to remove - but not serious... Unless there is damage I'd
just paint it

It is wood--Its cedar shake siding.

*Check again. The picture shows regular sized (as contrasted with
random sized) "shakes". Cedar doesn't come that way, in my experience.
There are numerous houses in my neighbourhood that look EXACTLY tile
that. All Johns-Manville siding. If I was a betting man I'd say it was
a pretty sure bet. I'd say 99.9+%

100% sure its cedar shingles! When the house was built about 40 years
ago, bi-laws or covenants restricted the siding material used on
houses. A percentage (I can't remember the exact amount) of the front
exterior had to be built with brick from a specific brick manufacturer
(Shaw concrete I believe) and cedar shingles over the rest. The brick
covenant still exists, but since then the siding type has been
eliminated.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
[...]

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered
in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax
Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property
without siding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Yes, your assumption is correct. I did buy the house in the first
picture. The rest were shots of a house before it was demolished.

What a shame it was demolished!!!!

Yes it was...the house was left abandoned about 35 years ago--I did
get a chance to explore the interior and it was magnificent on the
inside. It was a pity, but in the end, it was beyond repair!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 20, 8:58*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:52:05 -0500, Tony Miklos

Adams) wrote:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_0801 1.jpg

* *The picture in #1 looks like johns manville siding - not wood -
which takes paint quite well, and the paint lasts a LONG time.

The siding is ASBESTOS cement. Not an issue if you leave it be. Might
be an issue to remove - but not serious... Unless there is damage I'd
just paint it

It is wood--Its cedar shake siding.
* Check again. The picture shows regular sized (as contrasted with
random sized) "shakes". Cedar doesn't come that way, in my experience.
There are numerous houses in my neighbourhood that look EXACTLY tile
that. All Johns-Manville siding. If I was a betting man I'd say it was
a pretty sure bet. I'd say 99.9+%

That's even better than wood. *Holds paint much better.

*And it is very resistant to rot and insect damage - not to mention it
is very fire resistant.

Its cedar shingles
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:47:28 -0800 (PST), camryguy
wrote:

Â*wrote:
[...]

Â* What is there NOW, painted, will outlast either aluminum or vinyl on
a rental property. The stuff is durable - and takes paint well.
Â* Vinyl can look like crap in a few years if it gets hit, particulatly
cold - and the corner caps are also fragine. Aluminum will dent if hit
- good quality supported aluminum not as bad - and the Johns-Manville
siding just keeps on keeping on unless it is hit hard enough to
fracture it.

The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a
cold day. Â*I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail
doesn't cool it that fast). Â*I imagine even good aluminum will dent
nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants
seem to do when it's not there own property. Â*Wood is good.

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered
in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax
Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property
without siding.

Is the house in Halifax Nova Scotia??

Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
[...]

Yes it is in Halifax Nova Scotia--In the Fairview-clayton park area
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â*wrote:
[...]

All I can say is if that is 40 year old cedar it is too nice to cover
up or remove!!!! Most NovaScotia Cedar sider homes don't look that
good after 40 years - and a lot NEVER looked that good.

Halifax weather is hard on natural wood siding. My daughter says she
prefers Winnipeg weather to Halifax weather, but she's got another 6
months to a year left there at least.
Posted to alt.home.repair

*wrote:
[...]

I couldn't agree more--My parents house, which is about two streets
away is in terrible shape--the cedar siding on one side is cracked and
brittle and is beyond repair--They will be siding their house this
summer. The front of my property is in good shape, the back needs to
be painted. I want something that is extremely low maintenance and
will last 20+ years. Halifax weather is terrible to say the least...it
is always wet and rainy--or its sweltering and uncomfortable--these
extremes are hard on houses and people! Is your daughter attending
school here?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered
in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax
Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property
without siding.

I've been living with vinyl for the past 30 years. Every summer I
hose it off and I'm done.

My wife would like to change the color, but I'm not about to start
painting it. I'm getting older, not younger and I don't want to be
hanging off a ladder in my 70's.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house
with a brush in hand?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house
with a brush in hand?

i'd rekon any painting company would be glad to show up on time. done.

--
Steve Barker
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Hardi-plank with impregnated color. Tough as nail, very fire
resistant. Vinyl and fire! No way! Vinyl will melt like pudding
exposed to heat. They are talking about banning Vinyl siding over
here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â*wrote:
[...]

Â*Is the house in Halifax Nova Scotia??

Yes it is in Halifax Nova Scotia--In the Fairview-clayton park area

South Bedford Basin.
Daughter is down South Park area. Close to the harbour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â*wrote:
[...]

Â*All I can say is if that is 40 year old cedar it is too nice to cover
up or remove!!!! Most NovaScotia Cedar sider homes don't look that
good after 40 years - and a lot NEVER looked that good.

Halifax weather is hard on natural wood siding. Â*My daughter says she
prefers Winnipeg weather to Halifax weather, but she's got another 6
months to a year left there at least.

I couldn't agree more--My parents house, which is about two streets
away is in terrible shape--the cedar siding on one side is cracked and
brittle and is beyond repair--They will be siding their house this
summer. The front of my property is in good shape, the back needs to
be painted. I want something that is extremely low maintenance and
will last 20+ years. Halifax weather is terrible to say the least...it
is always wet and rainy--or its sweltering and uncomfortable--these
extremes are hard on houses and people! Is your daughter attending
school here?

If you can get the wood dry, a good coat of Benjamin Moore premium
exteriour semi-gloss - can't remember what the coall it now - used to
be MooreGlo should last 20 years... Does the back fase the water
(house faces west)?

Daughter is doing her Masters at St Mary's
Did her undergrad in Winterpeg, and has spent time in South Africa
and Rwanda in between.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered
in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax
Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property
without siding.

I've been living with vinyl for the past 30 years. Every summer I
hose it off and I'm done.

My wife would like to change the color, but I'm not about to start
painting it. I'm getting older, not younger and I don't want to be
hanging off a ladder in my 70's.

Just had our aluminum repainted for the first time 2 years ago, at 36
years of age.
Washing it every year for the last 30 had worn the paint a bit thin.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house
with a brush in hand?

I hired mine done. Whole job cost less than either the labour OR
material to reside with vinyl - and significantly less than replacing
the aluminum.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker.
Wood is good, but vinyl is final?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a
cold day. I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail
doesn't cool it that fast). I imagine even good aluminum will dent
nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants
seem to do when it's not there own property. Wood is good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

aluminum siding must be going up in price, and around here people
steal it to sell to the scrap metal yards.

side with vinyl siding and while your at it add a nice layer of foam
insulation. and cut your utility bills.

In pittsburgh vinyl siding lats near forever.

Most notably a brick home near where I grew up got sided with vinyl
when I was a kid.

I am 54 so the siding is over 40 years old and still looks good today,
although it needs a bath.

The homeowner of the time felt bad covering the brick but it was soft
brick and detoriating badly.

hhe reported cutting his gas bill by half at the time, and cut his
property tax bill too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

*The siding is NOT wood. Looks better than vinyl.- Hide quoted text -

The OP has stated about 6 times now that it is
cedar, which last time I checked is wood.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I agree with those saying to continue with paint. *The
siding looks great, the paint is still in good shape. *A
good paint job done right can last 10 years. * And you
don't have all that much to paint, not a lot of trim, etc.
IMO real wood looks far better than siding. *Siding
is less expensive and doesn't require painting, but
just doesn't look like wood.

Of the guys saying paint is better, how many will show up at the house
with a brush in hand?

*I hired mine done. Whole job cost less than either the labour OR
material to reside with vinyl - and significantly less than replacing
the aluminum.

I'm all for saving on maintenance, headaches, but given the
tradeoff in look between real wood and vinyl siding
I would be perfectly fine with having it painted about
every 10 years. Being a rental property, the work is also
tax deductible. Around here you'd be lowering the
value of the property by putting up vinyl or aluminum.