Posted to alt.home.repair

Default J-siding missing on vinyl siding next to chimney: pics

The siding next to my chimney is missing J-channel. Its been like this
since I moved in. Somebody tried to caulk it apparantly. Does a j-
channel serve any purpose other than aesthetics and looks? Or does it
actually serve a wetherproofing purpose?
This is on the side of my house where you really can't see it and no
one really goes there, so I'm trying to figure out is it worth
fixing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/JSIDING#
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Dec 15, 1:38*pm, Mikepier wrote:
The siding next to my chimney is missing J-channel. Its been like this
since I moved in. Somebody tried to caulk it apparantly. Does a j-
channel serve any purpose other than aesthetics and looks? Or does it
actually serve a wetherproofing purpose?
This is on the side of my house where you really can't see it and no
one really goes there, so I'm trying to figure out is it worth
fixing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/mikerock92/JSIDING#

J- channel is intended to help keep the wind from peeling off your
siding at a junction or corner. And it does look better. If your caulk
is sturdy enough you may not gain much by redoing it. Inspect
regularly and take remedial action if the caulk ever gives up. Good
luck.

Joe