Posted to alt.home.repair
camryguy camryguy is offline

Default Vinyl Siding

On Jan 20, 11:08*pm, wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 18:47:28 -0800 (PST), camryguy

wrote:
On Jan 20, 7:48*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 1/20/2012 6:25 PM, wrote:

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 08:31:45 -0800 (PST), camryguy
*wrote:

On Jan 20, 2:40 am, (Dick Adams) wrote:
*wrote:
Hello Experts! I recently purchased a house and know it will need a
new paint job within the coming year. I would rather install vinyl
siding and be done with it. I will not be doing the job myself, but am
curious to find out how much something like this would cost. I would
rather pay a bit more for a better job, but I don't want to pay a
fortune. What would a fair price be for this kind of job? Here is a
picture of the property:
s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_08011 .jpg

Note: I did purchase both sides of the duplex and will not be covering
the brick on the front.

On the presumption that you purchased the house in the first photo,
my compliments on buying a very nice looking house. *I'd paint.
Vinyl siding has a cheap look. *If you really do not want to paint
every 7 to 10 years, get aluminum siding.

Now if we're discussing the house in photos 2 thru 11, WTF were you
thinking when you bought this barn. *My first thought was "Too bad
arson is a felony with no statute of limitations."

Yes, your assumption is correct. I did buy the house in the first
picture. The rest were shots of a house before it was demolished.

If I lived in the property, I would have no problem painting it, this
is merely an investment with both sides generating rental income. I
need something that will last, look good, and will require minimal
maintenance. I will get quotes for both vinyl and aluminum and proceed
from there. Thanks for the reply!
* What is there NOW, painted, will outlast either aluminum or vinyl on
a rental property. The stuff is durable - and takes paint well.
* Vinyl can look like crap in a few years if it gets hit, particulatly
cold - and the corner caps are also fragine. Aluminum will dent if hit
- good quality supported aluminum not as bad - and the Johns-Manville
siding just keeps on keeping on unless it is hit hard enough to
fracture it.

The vinyl will look real good when a kid throws a ball against it on a
cold day. *I've even seen hail take out vinyl when it was warm (the hail
doesn't cool it that fast). *I imagine even good aluminum will dent
nicely bouncing a baseball off it, and that's the kind of thing tenants
seem to do when it's not there own property. *Wood is good.

This isn't my first rental property. My other properties are covered
in vinyl and have never had a problem and they are all in Halifax
Regional Municipality. This just happens to be my first property
without siding.

*All I can say is if that is 40 year old cedar it is too nice to cover
up or remove!!!! Most NovaScotia Cedar sider homes don't look that
good after 40 years - and a lot NEVER looked that good.

Halifax weather is hard on natural wood siding. *My daughter says she
prefers Winnipeg weather to Halifax weather, but she's got another 6
months to a year left there at least.

I couldn't agree more--My parents house, which is about two streets
away is in terrible shape--the cedar siding on one side is cracked and
brittle and is beyond repair--They will be siding their house this
summer. The front of my property is in good shape, the back needs to
be painted. I want something that is extremely low maintenance and
will last 20+ years. Halifax weather is terrible to say the least...it
is always wet and rainy--or its sweltering and uncomfortable--these
extremes are hard on houses and people! Is your daughter attending
school here?