Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Round table edge protector

At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 1:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 3:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

how are they getting beat up if they are 1.5 inchs thick? Tacking on
aluminum stripping will protect edges.

You're welcome.

Signed,

Satan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 15:23:41 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

So. Now the question is WHAT are these tables made out of?

Wood, plastic, electrical wire spools or possibly granite...
Posted to alt.home.repair

We do have carts, but the end up being rolled, regardless.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"chaniarts" wrote in message

stop rolling them. perhaps a cart or furniture dolly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

You wouldn't know, you're never there.

And, that advice sure sounds awful.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ng_reader" wrote in message

how are they getting beat up if they are 1.5 inchs thick? Tacking on
aluminum stripping will protect edges.

You're welcome.

Signed,

Satan

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sometimes, I miss the obvious. Plastic, they already have a bit of rubber
edge, but that isn't helping much.

Sorry about the absence of detail.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message

So. Now the question is WHAT are these tables made out of?

Wood, plastic, electrical wire spools or possibly granite...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet
diameter, edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to
be some way to patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would
look a bit off, for a church.

Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some
away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?

If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and
replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by
the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Ou****er. Maybe even HD or Lowe's.
Google or phone around.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 2:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in
certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T
strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

So. Now the question is WHAT are these tables made out of?

Wood, plastic, electrical wire spools or possibly granite...

I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not
work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one.
I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering.
If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar
rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1
1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work
of it.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet
diameter, edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to
be some way to patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would
look a bit off, for a church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done
inexpensively? The tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the
budget is way down.

I trust the replacement tables will be square...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, there is already edging. But, the hollow plastic edges are banged up
worse than new edging will handle. Need something to wrap around, or go
over, or.....

Sorry, I neglected to say they were plastic.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

Is there already trim around the table perimeter? If so, can you pull some
away and see if there's a groove cut into the perimeter wood?

If there is already a groove, then you can just pull out the old edging and
replace it with new stuff. It's called "table edging"; it's usually sold by
the roll. I'm thinking Lee Valley or Ou****er. Maybe even HD or Lowe's.
Google or phone around.

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

GB sounds like a remarkable man, and hope he's happy as can be, in his
present condition.

The tables are plastic, and more banged up than a trim strip will handle.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

My late friend GB was a cabinet maker and he often routed a grove in
certain wood tables, etc and used a rubber mallet to pound a vinyl T
strip into the grove to protect the wood from bumps and bangs whenever

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

The tables already have "some kind of" edging, but that isn't doing the job.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DanG" wrote in message

I was going to suggest rubber "t" moulding, but it will probably not
work on plastic tops, but it would sure be worth trying on at least one.
I fear that the tables are hollow if they are the ones I'm remembering.
If you're just trying to get by, you may look into Roppe or similar
rubber base strip glued on. I think there is a trim strip made at 1
1/2" and some careful masking and spray adhesive should make short work
of it.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't know, but possibly. So that they won't be rolled as often?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"HeyBub" wrote in message

I trust the replacement tables will be square...

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 1/16/2012 12:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Edgemate edging is what you need, but it isn't super cheap. Master Mark
Plastics sells a bunch of edging products but none as narrow as 1.5",
but you could cut them.

Your best bet is to buy
http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/F820, mask the top of
the table, and apply it to the edges. It will be much cheaper than any
of the plastic edging products, and of course it is much better than
duct tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 5:53 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
GB sounds like a remarkable man, and hope he's happy as can be, in his
present condition.

Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he
hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He
had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still
sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all
sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Yes, there is already edging. But, the hollow plastic edges are banged
up worse than new edging will handle. Need something to wrap around,
or go over, or.....

Sorry, I neglected to say they were plastic.

Plastic tables with edging? That's a new one on me.

Can you get away with putting on tablecloths after the tables are in
position?

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2012 3:23 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off?
Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or
turn them down on a really big lathe!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:45:56 -0500, Tony Miklos
wrote:

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off?
Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or
turn them down on a really big lathe!

How about covering the ugly nature of the table with a table cloth?

Seems the table will still function for the intended purposes.

Something like this pic, but hating polka dots.

http://shop4tablecloths.co.uk/images/uploads/white%20on%20red%20polka.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smokin on dem coffin nails and what it gets you

I've heard (from those who know) that coffin nails are more addictive than
heroin. Most smokers start between the age of 8 and 12, when they think they
will live forever.

I have one sibling, my sister had her first at age 8, and hasn't been able
to quit, 35 years later. I was lucky, I was allergic, and never had even
one.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Yea, he was a longtime friend and I got on his butt about smoking so he
hid his cigarettes from me, his wife, his sisters, and his daughters. He
had already survived lung cancer and with only one lung was still
sucking on those evil nicotine delivery devices. We had plans to do all
sorts of things but he got the cure for smoking a bit too soon. :-(

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet
diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for a
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Vinyl strip stapled to the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, so you think a metal edge sounds stupid? Well guess what? You are
stupid.

Again, you are welcome.

Signed,

Satan
Posted to alt.home.repair

That plastidip stuff looks fun. Have to do the edging out in the parking
lot, and put down painters tarps. 25 tables to do.....

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"SMS" wrote in message

Edgemate edging is what you need, but it isn't super cheap. Master Mark
Plastics sells a bunch of edging products but none as narrow as 1.5",
but you could cut them.

Your best bet is to buy
http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/F820, mask the top of
the table, and apply it to the edges. It will be much cheaper than any
of the plastic edging products, and of course it is much better than
duct tape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, we already do that. Problem is, that the plastic is broken in a lot of
places, and the sharp corners and edges are rough on peoples hands while
rolling the tables.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tegger" wrote in message

Plastic tables with edging? That's a new one on me.

Can you get away with putting on tablecloths after the tables are in
position?

--
Tegger

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a look, I was thinking something like a Dremel, to smooth the sharp
edges. Might work, who knows. Since the table tops are hollow, I can't take
too much off.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Tony Miklos" wrote in message

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively? The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Instead of putting something on can you take some of the surface off?
Can you take the edge off with a jig saw then sand them down a bit. Or
turn them down on a really big lathe!

Posted to alt.home.repair

We do that. But, it doesn't help the table rolling adults, who have rough
edges while handling the tables.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Oren" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:45:56 -0500, Tony Miklos

How about covering the ugly nature of the table with a table cloth?

Seems the table will still function for the intended purposes.

Something like this pic, but hating polka dots.

http://shop4tablecloths.co.uk/images/uploads/white%20on%20red%20polka.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

There is already a rubber strip, the vinyl would have to conform a bit, and
go over the extisting.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Attila.Iskander" wrote in message

Vinyl strip stapled to the edge.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ooh! I'm stupid! Wow, that hurts. I'm going to cry.

Whew. It could have been worse, at least you didn't call me a f'ng Nazi pig!

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"ng_reader" wrote in message
OK, so you think a metal edge sounds stupid? Well guess what? You are
stupid.

Again, you are welcome.

Signed,

Satan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
At church, we have 25 round tables, with folding legs. The edges are
getting beat up, from being rolled to and fro. Table about 5 feet
diameter,
edge is maybe 1 1/2 inches wide. I'm thinking there has to be some way to
patch this. I did think of duct tape, but that would look a bit off, for
church.

Must have happened to someone, before. What can be done inexpensively?
The
tables are "scheduled" to be replaced, but the budget is way down.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Who are you trying to impress? The Lord doesn't care what they look like. I
suppose your church goers all wear their _Sunday best_ trying to impress
each other.

You weekend Christians are all alike

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 2:20*pm, "Jim Q." wrote:
[...]

You weekend Christians are all alike- Hide quoted text -

Yeah, *real* Christians don't mind having their hands torn up or their
cloths ripped by the jagged edges.

In fact, *real* Christians purposely neglect things so as to suffer
more.

Me thinks (hopes?) that you are a troll. I'd hate to think that you
really believe that SM wants to fix the tables just to impress the
Lord.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"SMS" wrote in message

Edgemate edging is what you need, but it isn't super cheap. Master Mark
Plastics sells a bunch of edging products but none as narrow as 1.5",
but you could cut them.

Your best bet is to buy
http://www.plastidip.com/industrial_solutions/F820, mask the top of
the table, and apply it to the edges. It will be much cheaper than any
of the plastic edging products, and of course it is much better than
duct tape.

Since it can be used as a dip, you might want to consider building a
jig with a trough.

Something where you could mount the tables and then spin them through
the trough, coating the first few inches, top and bottom.

I don't know if the product drips, but if it doesn't, a little time
spent building the jig might make the coating of 25 tables easier and
produce a more uniform outcome.

Maybe a length of gutter just a bit longer than the circumference of
the tables. Lift them into the gutter and roll them along.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Q. wrote:

Who are you trying to impress? The Lord doesn't care what they look
like.

And you know whether the Lord cares exactly how?

I suppose your church goers all wear their _Sunday best_ trying
to impress each other.

Maybe. I always thought dressing your best was a mark of civility and
respect. What do you wear to church?

You weekend Christians are all alike

Well, yeah, they go to Church on the week-end. What do you do?

Posted to alt.home.repair

No one. I'm trying to smooth the edges, so peoples hands don't get hurt.
While they are rolling the tables.

I'm aparently not like the people you've already met.

And, I don't wear my sunday best to impress others.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Q." wrote in message

Who are you trying to impress? The Lord doesn't care what they look like. I
suppose your church goers all wear their _Sunday best_ trying to impress
each other.

You weekend Christians are all alike

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd also hate to, but I did try to respond seriously.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Yeah, *real* Christians don't mind having their hands torn up or their
cloths ripped by the jagged edges.

In fact, *real* Christians purposely neglect things so as to suffer
more.

Me thinks (hopes?) that you are a troll. I'd hate to think that you
really believe that SM wants to fix the tables just to impress the
Lord.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Q. wrote:

Who are you trying to impress? The Lord doesn't care what they look
like.

And you know whether the Lord cares exactly how?

CY: When the sun shines after church? When the crows crap on the cars?

I suppose your church goers all wear their _Sunday best_ trying
to impress each other.

Maybe. I always thought dressing your best was a mark of civility and
respect. What do you wear to church?

CY: I suspect he wears overalls, galoshes, and a straw hat?

You weekend Christians are all alike

Well, yeah, they go to Church on the week-end. What do you do?

CY: Sports games, and beer?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 17, 7:40*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
I'd also hate to, but I did try to respond seriously.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Yeah, *real* Christians don't mind having their hands torn up or their
cloths ripped by the jagged edges.

In fact, *real* Christians purposely neglect things so as to suffer
more.

Me thinks (hopes?) that you are a troll. I'd hate to think that you
really believe that SM wants to fix the tables just to impress the
Lord.

I purposely left the seriousness for you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You're so kind. And, I guess you knew just where to come, for a bit of
seriousness. Seriously.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:
I'd also hate to, but I did try to respond seriously.

I purposely left the seriousness for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm guessing that I could put some kind of tape on, but rigging a dip tank
is beyond what I can get permission to do.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..