Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Refinishing old table - best method to redo table edge?

I am currently refinishing an old dining room table. This is the
first project like this that I have attempted. At this point I have
sanded down the top surface, removing all the old polyurethane and the
original stain. After working my way through sandpaper of varying
grits, the oak is very smooth and the table looks amazing.

I have left the edge till last, because I'm just not sure what to do
with it. I have my router, though this is the first time I've had a
project that requires I use it independent of my router table. I'm
worried I might screw things up, so I could use some advice. I need
to somehow remove, or at least trim down the table's current rounded
edge, so that I can re-route it with a clean, new edge. Is there a
good way to do this? Is this the right approach?

Any advice on how to finish up this project would be most
appreciated. I've really enjoyed working on it so far and am
optimistic it's going to turn out just great. Figuring out how to re-
route the edge is making me nervous though.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:37:27 -0700, CrazyAtlantaGuy
wrote:

I am currently refinishing an old dining room table. This is the
first project like this that I have attempted. At this point I have
sanded down the top surface, removing all the old polyurethane and the
original stain. After working my way through sandpaper of varying
grits, the oak is very smooth and the table looks amazing.

I have left the edge till last, because I'm just not sure what to do
with it. I have my router, though this is the first time I've had a
project that requires I use it independent of my router table. I'm
worried I might screw things up, so I could use some advice. I need
to somehow remove, or at least trim down the table's current rounded
edge, so that I can re-route it with a clean, new edge. Is there a
good way to do this? Is this the right approach?

If you want to change the edge profile, then sure. But if you like it
as it is then you can just sand it down. You can use blocks of wood
and pieces of dowel to wrap the paper around to match parts of the
profile. Or you can buy nifty rubber pieces for this purpose, such
as:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10380

If there is end grain and it was a dark stain on it originally, and
you want a light finish it can be difficult to get rid of it all. But
it's a lot safer than trying to put a new edge on it.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

I second the hand sanding method. If the edge is generally in good
condition it will be lowest overall time.

If you want to change the edge style or wood, then you can route. You will
need to clamp a guide board across the table length, then width. If the
corner is rounded, you may have to attempt to make a plywood/hardboard
template. Be careful of the radius calculation - it will be a bit of trail
and error. The edge of the router bit will be a few inches from the
template, which needs to be factored into determining the radius of the
template.

Dave Paine.