Posted to rec.woodworking
CrazyAtlantaGuy CrazyAtlantaGuy is offline

Default Refinishing old table - best method to redo table edge?

I am currently refinishing an old dining room table. This is the
first project like this that I have attempted. At this point I have
sanded down the top surface, removing all the old polyurethane and the
original stain. After working my way through sandpaper of varying
grits, the oak is very smooth and the table looks amazing.

I have left the edge till last, because I'm just not sure what to do
with it. I have my router, though this is the first time I've had a
project that requires I use it independent of my router table. I'm
worried I might screw things up, so I could use some advice. I need
to somehow remove, or at least trim down the table's current rounded
edge, so that I can re-route it with a clean, new edge. Is there a
good way to do this? Is this the right approach?

Any advice on how to finish up this project would be most
appreciated. I've really enjoyed working on it so far and am
optimistic it's going to turn out just great. Figuring out how to re-
route the edge is making me nervous though.

Thanks!