Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas or electric range?

Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 12:20*pm, "Curt" wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

This is a long running debate. I currently have electric,
but my preference is gas. I find it easier to control the
temp and get more uniform heating. The flame underneath
spreads out. With electric I find that some pans, especially
ones with not much in them, just don't sit uniformly enough
on the coil. So one part gets hot, while another part that
isn't touching perfectly is at a much lower temp. Gas
also gets the heat there faster.

Look around at what the pros use. I've never seen a
restaurant kitchen with electric, have you?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2011-12-26, Curt wrote:

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

I've cooked on both. Gas heats faster and electric can be tweaked to
lower. Bottom line ....literally.... buy whichever is cheaper and
learn how to use it. A good cook can use both equally well.

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2011 12:20 PM, Curt wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

I use what the pro's use and Giada De Laurentiis cooks with gas...at
least I think she does. Truth be told, my eyes have never strayed from
her cleavage.

OK wait, I'm absolutely positive Alton Brown always cooks with gas. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

" wrote in
:

On Dec 26, 12:20*pm, "Curt" wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to
decide if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas.
Hook up is not

problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

This is a long running debate. I currently have electric,
but my preference is gas. I find it easier to control the
temp and get more uniform heating. The flame underneath
spreads out. With electric I find that some pans, especially
ones with not much in them, just don't sit uniformly enough
on the coil. So one part gets hot, while another part that
isn't touching perfectly is at a much lower temp. Gas
also gets the heat there faster.

Look around at what the pros use. I've never seen a
restaurant kitchen with electric, have you?

If I need to consider a new stove, I'd consider an induction range.
Range never gets hot, the pans do, but you do need iron or other
magnetic-inducible material for the pan. Aluminun just doesn't work. Do
Google. One site I found (didn't really read it):
http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-
31059/G7CE3034X.html

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 26 Dec 2011 18:34:43 GMT, Han wrote:

If I need to consider a new stove, I'd consider an induction range.
Range never gets hot, the pans do, but you do need iron or other
magnetic-inducible material for the pan. Aluminun just doesn't work. Do
Google. One site I found (didn't really read it):
http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-
31059/G7CE3034X.html

I once had an induction range. It was of good quality. Mostly used
cast iron skillets for cooking. I was always nervous about cracking /
scratching the surface material (glass?).

I prefer gas over electric any day. Much easier to control the
heat.... two cents...
Posted to alt.home.repair

I like gas, because it helps keep me warm when the electric is out. My area
gets power cuts every few years.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

Curt wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

On the 7th day as God rested, the devil invented attornies,
electric stoves, and bubble packaging. And if that wasn't
enough, the devil also invented mothers-in-law.

My next house will have a gas stove and a gas furnace.

Dick

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt" wrote in message
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to
decide if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas.
Hook up is not a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

The electronic technology is out there to keep an electric stove top
heating element a constant temperature. Surely someone makes a cook
top or range now that will do this (with a regular heating element)?

(Most electric cook tops blast the heat, then cool off, then blast the
heat, then cool off. A gas cook top can be adjusted to a constant
steady heat, but then you get fumes.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt" wrote:

Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

You'd be hard pressed to find a single professional kitchen with an electric
range. That said, electric ranges are usually less expensive, both for the
applicance as well as construction to support. They appeal to people with a fear
of open flames and take slightly longer to come up to temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
"Curt" wrote in message
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to
decide if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas.
Hook up is not a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

The electronic technology is out there to keep an electric stove top
heating element a constant temperature. Surely someone makes a cook
top or range now that will do this (with a regular heating element)?

(Most electric cook tops blast the heat, then cool off, then blast the
heat, then cool off. A gas cook top can be adjusted to a constant
steady heat, but then you get fumes.)

What fumes? I grew up in a house with gas space heaters, plus the stove, and
I'm okay.

LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

Sorry. There's nothing fumous about a gas range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt" wrote in message ...
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not
a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Recently converted from electric oven & cooktop to a gas cooktop and
electric (convection) oven
Very happy

Gas is a bit cheaper than electricity where I am, so there is an operational
saving on using a gas cooktop

The real benefit of a gas cooktop is the speed at which food cooks with no
residual heat after you shut it off.
Naturally that supposes that you have some big burners for the job

If you go gas
Get the biggest burners you can for the money you spend.
(One of my grates flips over to become a round-bottom wok rack)
For the oven, most definitely go with a convection over a regular. Choice of
gas or electric should be on what you like and the cost of gas vs
electricity

And if you have a few more bucks get an oven control where you can
pre-program more than one temperature for the the oven
(e.g. Start my bread at 410 for 10 minutes, then drop it to 380 for
remaining 15 minutes)

I'm also using the oven instead of the slow cooker, because the oven is more
efficient with less heat loss to the surroundings.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Oren wrote in
:

On 26 Dec 2011 18:34:43 GMT, Han wrote:

If I need to consider a new stove, I'd consider an induction range.
Range never gets hot, the pans do, but you do need iron or other
magnetic-inducible material for the pan. Aluminun just doesn't work.
Do Google. One site I found (didn't really read it):
http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-
31059/G7CE3034X.html

I once had an induction range. It was of good quality. Mostly used
cast iron skillets for cooking. I was always nervous about cracking /
scratching the surface material (glass?).

I prefer gas over electric any day. Much easier to control the
heat.... two cents...

We've never had electric, and in general the economics are against it.
Induction is intriguing, but we would need to buy a lot of new pans.
We'll stick with the GE Profile Performance gas cooktop/oven we have, in
spite of its mediocre heat output.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

I like gas, because it helps keep me warm when the electric is out. My
area gets power cuts every few years.

Christopher A. Young

That is an important consideration. We can light our gas cooktop with a
match, although the oven needs electricity. It is good to have hot soup
and hot tea or coffeee when there hasn't been electricity for a day.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2011 12:20 PM, Curt wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

I liked gas but when we moved here 35 years ago, we could not get it and
cook with electric. My wife prefers the electric. We did have to
replace the range about 10 years ago and a couple of years ago needed to
replace the electrical panel which cost about $300. Oven cal-rods have
needed replacement a few times on old and new ranges.

I do not like the ceramic surfaced electric ranges. My son has one and
it looks scuffed. There is always the danger of cracking it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 12/26/2011 9:20 AM, Curt wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

There are advantages to each

Electric
-More even heat which is helpful when cooking certain foods
-More efficient
-Easier to clean
-Safer

Gas
-Instant heat
-Gas is usually cheaper than electricity for equivalent heat
-Pots and pans don't need to be perfectly flat
-Constant temperature (electric stoves achieve lower temperatures by
cycling burner on and off so average temperature is lower)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 12:20:50 -0500, "Curt" wrote:

Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

I don't but when forced to, I'd rather have a smooth-top electric. It's
easier to keep clean. Don't go by me, though, because SWMBO just replaced our
electric stove to a gas model (burners only). After 40 years of using an
electric stove, she *loves* the gas stove top. The oven is still electric,
though. Dual fuel gets the best of both.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 12:20:50 -0500, "Curt" wrote:

Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Gas
will still work when the power is out.
can toast marshmallows
can heat plates over the flame
preferred by most professional cooks with good reason

Electric
is slightly more efficient, but generally is more expensive to
operate.

You will always get the "I had a xxx and it was hard to use". Cheap
ranges will not work as well as good ranges no matter the fuel.

Consider an electric oven with gas top cooking too. Rather than a
simple four burner grate, one that allows you to move a pot across it
is handy to have.

http://www.plessers.com/Bertazzoni/x366ggvnelp.htm

I have the 30" black with gas oven as electric was not available when
I bought mine. We love it. To give you an idea of the quality, it is
painted in the same plant as Lamborghini cars.
http://us.bertazzoni.com/freestandin...elf-clean-oven
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt" wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

I prefer gas top, electric oven. Kitchen stays cooler with electric oven.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 1:59*pm, RBM wrote:
On 12/26/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:

On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, *wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Look around at what the pros use. *I've never seen a
restaurant kitchen with electric, have you?

As a former repair technician for GE's now defunct commercial food
service equipment division, (now Hobart), I have. I would say, it
depends upon what you're cooking. Overall it appeared to me, that cooks
liked gas equipment best. The big exception, as I saw it, was electric
convection ovens. The temperature was very even throughout the oven
allowing multiple layers to bake simultaneously, so a pile of say,
cheese cakes would all cook together and come out identical. (Nathan's
Yonkers, NY)

Agree on the ovens. I would take electric there too.
He was asking about ranges. Have you ever seen
an electric range in a restaurant or commercial kitchen?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've had both. Both cooked about equally once i got used to the
differences.

Something nobody's mentioned is health, especially if you have kids
with allergies or respiratory ailments.

There are some good studies (though a bit old) that show consistently
higher rates of minor respiratory illnesses with gas stoves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Han wrote the following:
" wrote in
:

On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, "Curt" wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't they have round iron or steel plates to place over the
'burners' so that you could use non-magnetic-inducible pots or pans to
conduct the heat to them?
I'd google it but I have used my daily quota of google searches.

Do
Google. One site I found (didn't really read it):
http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-
31059/G7CE3034X.html

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/26/2011 8:20 PM, wrote:
On Dec 26, 1:59 pm, wrote:
On 12/26/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:

On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, wrote:
[...]

I've seen hundreds, but then I was in the business of repairing them. A
fair amount of hotels and nursing homes had all electric kitchens. A few
hospitals had all electric kitchens as well. My guess is that natural
gas wasn't available in these locations and maybe propane was less
practical than electric. We also serviced ships for U.S. Gypsum, which
had all electric kitchens.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 26, 12:20*pm, "Curt" wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Most others have said it, so I'll just jump on board:

Gas, without a question.

We grew up with gas and I've been lucky enough to always have had gas
available. (It was a criteria when I was shopping for my house)

My parent's got stuck with electric when they moved back to their home
town to take care of their parents. Their oven quit working over the
Thanksgiving weekend and it was the tipping factor for my dad to start
getting estimates to have gas run from the street, replace the oil
burning furnace with a gas boiler and have gas run to the kitchen for
a new stove.

He will not pay for parts to fix the electric range even after 20
years of "getting used to it".

I just got back from a trip to their house for Christmas and it was a
pain cooking on the electric stove top. We were using every burner and
as things were getting done or too hot, we couldn't just turn off/
lower the heat because of the delay in electric burners to cool down.
Since all burners were being used, we had to put pots on hot plates.
On a gas stove, we would have just turned the burners off/down and
left the pots where they were.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Curt wrote:

Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to
decide if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook
up is not a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

I just switched to gas from smooth top electric and I like the gas better.

The main reason for the switch had nothing to do with cooking. I wanted
the 50 amp 220v circuit for use as a back feed circuit for my emergency
generator. I installed an interlock on the load center, and a power inlet
box on the outside of the house. So it is safe, legal, and up to code.

Back to the stoves. I'd say the gas cooks a little better. Not a huge
difference, but noticeable. If I had to put a number to it, I would say I
like it 10 to 15% better. It is quicker to boil water and heat a large pot
of soup. Also, the visual feedback of the flame size is nice.

I got a upper low end model with continuous grates and five sealed
burners. Frigidaire Gallery Series Model FGGF3031KW. Plain white, no
stainless steel and no convection oven.

It is a real luxury to be able to slide pots and pans on the cast iron
grates; I had been babying the smooth top electric for four years.

After removing the grates, the sealed gas burners clean as easily as the
glass top electric.

On the plus side, my pampering the glass top paid off. It still looked
like new, and I sold on Craigslist for almost as much as I paid for it
when it was new from Lowes.

One last drawback to the glass tops (or at least the GE stove that I
owned) - replacing a ribbon (burner) costs almost as as much as the
stove. Look before you leap.

--
Tony Sivori
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Curt" wrote in message ...
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not
a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

GAS. PERIOD. Watch any TV cooking show. EVERY ONE OF THEM IS GAS. You
can see gas. You can turn it right to the same level time after time. You
can see to turn it up just a little, or down just a little. When you turn
gas off, it is instantly off. With electric, it takes a while to cool off.
Same for heating. Up just a little. Instant results. No guessing. I've
cooked for a long time, and I cook well. I would never have anything but a
gas STOVE. Oven don't make any difference. I currently have a 36" Bosch
cooktop, but an electric double oven. Logistics is a main thing. Some
places, you can't get natural gas, as with us. We had to buy a propane
tank, but chose to do so instead of living with the crappy electric cooktop.
Find one with the different sized burners, one being large in the center,
and one with a simmer setting. People will argue for whatever they like.
I've been cooking for more than fifty years, and I would not have anything
but a gas range top.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

I like gas, because it helps keep me warm when the electric is out. My
area gets power cuts every few years.

Christopher A. Young

Can you spell C-A-R-B-O-N- M-O-N-O-X-I-D-E?

I knewwwwwwwwwwww you could.

But it does explain a lot ...........................

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
SMS wrote:

There are advantages to each

Electric
-More efficient

Huh?

Electric:
Burn gas boil water spin turbine heat element heat food.

Gas:
Burn gas heat food.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message
Han wrote the following:
" wrote in
:
On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, "Curt" wrote:
[...]

Daily quota?? Self-imposed or isp imposed?
--
EA

Do
Google. One site I found (didn't really read it):
http://www.homeeverything.com/web/sitefiles/product-
31059/G7CE3034X.html

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Han" wrote in message
" wrote in
:

On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, "Curt" wrote:
[...]

fwiw, they make single pan stand-alone induction units that look like hot
plates, for a cupla hundred bucks. Require dedicated 15-20 A circuit.
Seems nifty.

Gas range, electric convection oven, induction hot-plate.
--
EA

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
I've had both. Both cooked about equally once i got used to the
differences.

Something nobody's mentioned is health, especially if you have kids
with allergies or respiratory ailments.

There are some good studies (though a bit old) that show consistently
higher rates of minor respiratory illnesses with gas stoves.

I don't think those studies show gas is the CAUSE of the respiratory
difficulties but merely exacerbates the problem that occurs in defective
people.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

"Steve B" wrote in news:%BcKq.2589$_f4.50
@news.usenetserver.com:

I like gas, because it helps keep me warm when the electric is out. My
area gets power cuts every few years.

Christopher A. Young

Can you spell C-A-R-B-O-N- M-O-N-O-X-I-D-E?

I knewwwwwwwwwwww you could.

But it does explain a lot ...........................

Steve

Please explain how a gas range with nice blue flames on the burner would
generate CO in a kitchen of any size, unless it were hermatically sealed.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TimR" wrote in message
I've had both. Both cooked about equally once i got used to the
differences.

Something nobody's mentioned is health, especially if you have kids
with allergies or respiratory ailments.

There are some good studies (though a bit old) that show consistently
higher rates of minor respiratory illnesses with gas stoves.

Considering that Natgas burns quite clean producing CO2 and Water, and one
of the (minor) consequences is a minor increase in air moisture, one has
wonder about such a study

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

I like gas, because it helps keep me warm when the electric is out. My
area gets power cuts every few years.

Christopher A. Young

Can you spell C-A-R-B-O-N- M-O-N-O-X-I-D-E?

I knewwwwwwwwwwww you could.

But it does explain a lot ...........................

What Carbon Monoxide ?
Natgas if properly burned with a blue flame will not produce CO UNLESS you
don't have enough air supply.

And while you're at it, can you spell C-O D-E-T-E-C-T-O-R ???

Posted to alt.home.repair

Existential Angst wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
Han wrote the following:
" wrote in
:
On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, "Curt" wrote:
[...]

Humorously imposed.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683

Electric Range Hot Spot Pavel314[_2_] Home Repair 12 August 11th 10 02:45 PM
Glass-Top Electric Range Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 14 May 19th 09 04:26 PM
Electric range TH Home Repair 9 February 12th 07 09:39 PM
Electric range problem Lou Home Repair 2 January 16th 07 11:02 PM
Electric Range Problem [email protected] Home Repair 6 October 10th 06 03:33 AM