Posted to alt.home.repair
Attila.Iskander Attila.Iskander is offline

Default Gas or electric range?

"Curt" wrote in message ...
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not
a problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Recently converted from electric oven & cooktop to a gas cooktop and
electric (convection) oven
Very happy

Gas is a bit cheaper than electricity where I am, so there is an operational
saving on using a gas cooktop

The real benefit of a gas cooktop is the speed at which food cooks with no
residual heat after you shut it off.
Naturally that supposes that you have some big burners for the job

If you go gas
Get the biggest burners you can for the money you spend.
(One of my grates flips over to become a round-bottom wok rack)
For the oven, most definitely go with a convection over a regular. Choice of
gas or electric should be on what you like and the cost of gas vs
electricity

And if you have a few more bucks get an oven control where you can
pre-program more than one temperature for the the oven
(e.g. Start my bread at 410 for 10 minutes, then drop it to 380 for
remaining 15 minutes)

I'm also using the oven instead of the slow cooker, because the oven is more
efficient with less heat loss to the surroundings.