Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric Range Problem

Hello,

Earlier today my wife turned on element 3 (ie. closest, on the left),
and heard a pop on element 2 (ie. furthest on the right) with a flash
of light. Next, she turned off element 3 and waited 30 seconds and
turned on element 3 again, and after about 5 seconds she heard a pop
on element 3. Note, element 2 and element 3 are both the larger
elements.

1 2
3 4

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? I suspect the element 3
needs to be replaced.

We have a Kenmore electric range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
NQ

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

May be an element problem, but more likely some bad wiring or connection
feeding the elements

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Earlier today my wife turned on element 3 (ie. closest, on the left),
and heard a pop on element 2 (ie. furthest on the right) with a flash
of light. Next, she turned off element 3 and waited 30 seconds and
turned on element 3 again, and after about 5 seconds she heard a pop
on element 3. Note, element 2 and element 3 are both the larger
elements.

1 2
3 4

Has anyone seen this type of problem before? I suspect the element 3
needs to be replaced.

We have a Kenmore electric range.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
NQ

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Earlier today my wife turned on element 3 (ie. closest, on the left),
and heard a pop on element 2 (ie. furthest on the right) with a flash
of light. Next, she turned off element 3 and waited 30 seconds and
turned on element 3 again, and after about 5 seconds she heard a pop
on element 3. Note, element 2 and element 3 are both the larger
elements.

1 2
3 4

On some Kenmores the 'left' top elements are on two fuses and
associated wiring.
Similarly the 'right' elements are on their two fuses and wiring.
The fault description suggests that there may be wiring problems
associated with the two left hand elements.
Since stove wiring etc. probabaly uses heat resistant wiring and the
proper type of connections, if you are not experienced, have the right
tools etc. get someone to do the repairs.
No matter if you are in North America or Europe you are probably
dealing with 230 volts at amperages up to 6 or 7 amps, per element;
with electrical connections in close proximity to the hot elements.
There may be a wiring diagram on the back of the metal cover back of
the stove; but the circuitry, with exception of anything controlled by
the clock/timer (not usually the case with top elements) is pretty
straightforward and (using the right materials) fairly easily repaired.
Some disassembly is normally required.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some older ranges have a problem where the insulation on the wiring shrinks
back exposing bare wires. Then the wires touch and "pop" or a breaker trips.

You can have your range re-wired if this is the problem. Don't use it or
touch it until someone looks at it. Might want to turn off the breaker to be
safe.