LRESA500

Default Slide-In Electric Range

We are about to replace our electric range. Why are the Slide-In Ranges so much
more expensive than the Free-Standing models ?
Terry

"LRESA500" wrote in message
We are about to replace our electric range. Why are the Slide-In Ranges so

much
more expensive than the Free-Standing models ?

And IMHO much harder to fix!
A plain old 'standard' four burner plus oven electric cooking stove can
usually be slid out (on a piece of plywood to protect the floor if
necessary) and worked on from all around; still plugged into the range
outlet in the wall. Also you can buy small castors or dollies that replace
the metal feet of some models that make it much easier to move it out to
clean/work behind it
Your choice but personally I wouldn't bother with "Built Ins". Your mileage
may vary.
Terry

willshak

On 1/2/2005 10:47 AM US(ET), Pasar took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Terry" wrote in
:

"LRESA500" wrote in message

We are about to replace our electric range. Why are the Slide-In
Ranges so

much

more expensive than the Free-Standing models ?

And IMHO much harder to fix!
A plain old 'standard' four burner plus oven electric cooking stove
can usually be slid out (on a piece of plywood to protect the floor if
necessary) and worked on from all around; still plugged into the range
outlet in the wall. Also you can buy small castors or dollies that
replace the metal feet of some models that make it much easier to move
it out to clean/work behind it
Your choice but personally I wouldn't bother with "Built Ins". Your
mileage may vary.
Terry

I hate mine! The prior owner installed it. There is an opening in the
wall for the wires coming up from the basement. Mice sometimes find their
way up the wires and underneath the burners (after they're cooled) and jump
out on top of the stove.

That's a fault with installation, not with design. If it were a free
standing unit, would the previous owner not have left the same hole for
the wires ?

--
Bill
Edwin Pawlowski

"Pasar" wrote in message
I hate mine! The prior owner installed it. There is an opening in the
wall for the wires coming up from the basement. Mice sometimes find their
way up the wires and underneath the burners (after they're cooled) and
jump
out on top of the stove.

That is not the fault of the range. Seal the hole with some spray in foam.
Better yet, get rid of the mice. My wife would freak out if we ever had a
mouse in the house, let alone come out of the range!

I see some cats wandering around our property at times. While I'm not a cat
lover, I've never had a mouse around so I leave well enough alone and don't
bother them.

Tom

"LRESA500" wrote in message
We are about to replace our electric range. Why are the Slide-In Ranges so
much
more expensive than the Free-Standing models ?

Not as many used (sold), therefore limited production, costs a lot more for
the slide in than the free standing. Sears is about the only place you can
order one and get it in a few days.