Ashton Crusher

Take a look inside the box you put the receptacle in. It's possible a
wire touched the side when you wiggled the cord - some of them are a
very tight fit.

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:18:26 -0800, steve
wrote:

We had a new GE smooth top Range installed 3 weeks ago.
The previous range was a slide in that I removed and ripped out the
small cabinet that was around it. The old stove was hard wired.
I used the old wires and mounted the correct 3 plug receptical on the
wall.

The stove was rocking a bit so I slid the bottom draw out to gain
access. I adjusted the foot then noticed the power cord was pinched
(slightly) behind the side of the stove. I reached over to the cord to
pull it back into the space where the draw goes. As I moved the cord
there was a spark and the breaker tripped for the stove. My luck holds
out as I was not touching anything.

My first guess was the power cable was cut but I checked it carefully
and it looks ok. I dont see a burn mark anywhere to tell where the
spark came from.

I pulled the stove out, plugged it in and reset the breaker. Stove
still works but I concerned to use it until I know what went wrong.
I can replace the power cord but how can I be sure that was it? Is the
stove safe to use? I will call GE in the morning.

I cheched where the power cord is connected and everything seems
solid.

Any Suggestions appreciated.

Steve

RBM

From what you describe, it sounds like the cord must have gotten cut on a
sharp edge of the range. If the circuit breaker tripped quickly, it's
possible to not have a physical burn on the wire. It probably wouldn't be a
bad idea to replace the range cord. They come in lengths from four feet up,
so get the shortest one that will work. BTW current electrical code (nec)
requires four wire cord and outlet
"steve" wrote in message
[...]

kato

"steve" wrote in message
We had a new GE smooth top Range installed 3 weeks ago.
The previous range was a slide in that I removed and ripped out the
small cabinet that was around it. The old stove was hard wired.
I used the old wires and mounted the correct 3 plug receptical on the
wall.

220v ranges usually use a 4 plug recepical... red, black, white, ground

[...]

Steve

"RBM" rmottola1(remove wrote in message
From what you describe, it sounds like the cord must have gotten cut on a
sharp edge of the range. If the circuit breaker tripped quickly, it's
possible to not have a physical burn on the wire. It probably wouldn't be

bad idea to replace the range cord. They come in lengths from four feet

up,
so get the shortest one that will work. BTW current electrical code (nec)
requires four wire cord and outlet

I will inspect the power cord more closely for a cut tonight.

If I find a cut at least I will know what happened.
My concern is its a short in the stove and is dangerous??

Am I correct that an existing stove can still run a 3 wire outlet?
That is what they sold me at the store when I bought the range.

Steve

Bill Davis Jr

I recently moved into an 80 year old house. It also has 3 wire
electric range cord and plug. The previous homeowner left the electric
range when we bought it. It was rather old so we went to Scratch and
Dent store and picked up a new radiant range with only minor scratches
on the oven handle.

Not having a new strain relief connector for the cord I used the old
one from the original range. When I installed it I was not happy with
it. If I had left it the way it was, if I were to move the range in
any way the cord would cut into the range. So I had an electrian come
over and replace the strain relief connector while I had him move and
add some extra outlets in a bedroom.