steve

Default Short in electric range!

We had a new GE smooth top Range installed 3 weeks ago.
The previous range was a slide in that I removed and ripped out the
small cabinet that was around it. The old stove was hard wired.
I used the old wires and mounted the correct 3 plug receptical on the
wall.

The stove was rocking a bit so I slid the bottom draw out to gain
access. I adjusted the foot then noticed the power cord was pinched
(slightly) behind the side of the stove. I reached over to the cord to
pull it back into the space where the draw goes. As I moved the cord
there was a spark and the breaker tripped for the stove. My luck holds
out as I was not touching anything.

My first guess was the power cable was cut but I checked it carefully
and it looks ok. I dont see a burn mark anywhere to tell where the
spark came from.

I pulled the stove out, plugged it in and reset the breaker. Stove
still works but I concerned to use it until I know what went wrong.
I can replace the power cord but how can I be sure that was it? Is the
stove safe to use? I will call GE in the morning.

I cheched where the power cord is connected and everything seems
solid.

Any Suggestions appreciated.

Steve