Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Gas or electric range?

On 12/26/2011 8:20 PM, wrote:
On Dec 26, 1:59 pm, wrote:
On 12/26/2011 12:59 PM, wrote:

On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to decide
if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas. Hook up is not a
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks

Look around at what the pros use. I've never seen a
restaurant kitchen with electric, have you?

As a former repair technician for GE's now defunct commercial food
service equipment division, (now Hobart), I have. I would say, it
depends upon what you're cooking. Overall it appeared to me, that cooks
liked gas equipment best. The big exception, as I saw it, was electric
convection ovens. The temperature was very even throughout the oven
allowing multiple layers to bake simultaneously, so a pile of say,
cheese cakes would all cook together and come out identical. (Nathan's
Yonkers, NY)

Agree on the ovens. I would take electric there too.
He was asking about ranges. Have you ever seen
an electric range in a restaurant or commercial kitchen?

I've seen hundreds, but then I was in the business of repairing them. A
fair amount of hotels and nursing homes had all electric kitchens. A few
hospitals had all electric kitchens as well. My guess is that natural
gas wasn't available in these locations and maybe propane was less
practical than electric. We also serviced ships for U.S. Gypsum, which
had all electric kitchens.