Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Gas or electric range?

Existential Angst wrote the following:
"willshak" wrote in message
Han wrote the following:
" wrote in
:
On Dec 26, 12:20 pm, "Curt" wrote:
Currently have an electric range. Looking at appliances, trying to
decide if should go with another electric, or switch over to gas.
Hook up is not
problem, easily accessible.

Which do you like to cook on, gas or electric, and why?

Thanks
This is a long running debate. I currently have electric,
but my preference is gas. I find it easier to control the
temp and get more uniform heating. The flame underneath
spreads out. With electric I find that some pans, especially
ones with not much in them, just don't sit uniformly enough
on the coil. So one part gets hot, while another part that
isn't touching perfectly is at a much lower temp. Gas
also gets the heat there faster.

Look around at what the pros use. I've never seen a
restaurant kitchen with electric, have you?
If I need to consider a new stove, I'd consider an induction range.
Range never gets hot, the pans do, but you do need iron or other
magnetic-inducible material for the pan. Aluminun just doesn't work.

Wouldn't they have round iron or steel plates to place over the 'burners'
so that you could use non-magnetic-inducible pots or pans to conduct the
heat to them?
I'd google it but I have used my daily quota of google searches.

Daily quota?? Self-imposed or isp imposed?

Humorously imposed.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY