Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It Came From Under the Linoleum

The lineoleum on my kitchen floor is buckling slightly and developing
cracks through which seeps some thin fluid, colored like cocoa with a
lot of milk.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that many
months ago we had a drip under the kitchen sink, enough that over time
it warped the plywood floor of the under-sink cabinet. But that has
been fixed, and there is no dampness there now. No idea what's
happening below that plywood, though, which is 2-3 inches above floor
level.

The house was built in 1958, and the linoleum was there when I bought
the house 18 years ago.

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 07:31:59 -0800 (PST), Ivan
wrote:

The lineoleum on my kitchen floor is buckling slightly and developing
cracks through which seeps some thin fluid, colored like cocoa with a
lot of milk.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that many
months ago we had a drip under the kitchen sink, enough that over time
it warped the plywood floor of the under-sink cabinet. But that has
been fixed, and there is no dampness there now. No idea what's
happening below that plywood, though, which is 2-3 inches above floor
level.

The house was built in 1958, and the linoleum was there when I bought
the house 18 years ago.

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?

Sounds like you are seeing diluted adhesive. Good chance you will
find some rot or other water damage under the flooring. Don't wait
too long to tackle the job, it will not get better, but can get
seriously worse.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

seriously worse.- Hide quoted text -

I would look for another leak. You don't say if you are on a slab,
crawl space, or full basement, but whatever, you have a serious
problem somewhere. The older water should have long since evaporated
if the leak is completely gone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?

Newspapers?!

Seriously. I once found newspapers under linoleum flooring, dating the
50's. Only reason we could figure was to stop draft from under the
floors, like insulation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?

Newspapers?!

Seriously. I once found newspapers under linoleum flooring, dating the
50's. *Only reason we could figure was to stop draft from under the
floors, like insulation.

Newspaper stops the linoleum from sticking to the floor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 18, 9:31*am, Ivan wrote:
The lineoleum on my kitchen floor is buckling slightly and developing
cracks through which seeps some thin fluid, colored like cocoa with a
lot of milk.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that many
months ago we had a drip under the kitchen sink, enough that over time
it warped the plywood floor of the under-sink cabinet. *But that has
been fixed, and there is no dampness there now. *No idea what's
happening below that plywood, though, which is 2-3 inches above floor
level.

The house was built in 1958, and the linoleum was there when I bought
the house 18 years ago.

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?

OK Ivan, answer the question, what is under the floor, slab, crawl or
full basement????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 19, 9:47*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Dec 18, 9:31*am, Ivan wrote:

The lineoleum on my kitchen floor is buckling slightly and developing
cracks through which seeps some thin fluid, colored like cocoa with a
lot of milk.

The only thing I can think of that might account for this is that many
months ago we had a drip under the kitchen sink, enough that over time
it warped the plywood floor of the under-sink cabinet. *But that has
been fixed, and there is no dampness there now. *No idea what's
happening below that plywood, though, which is 2-3 inches above floor
level.

The house was built in 1958, and thelinoleumwas there when I bought
the house 18 years ago.

I know the lineoleum will have to come up and be replaced, but what am
I likely to find under it?

OK Ivan, answer the question, what is under the floor, slab, crawl or
full basement????- Hide quoted text -

Full basement. Hard to look at the underside, though, because
sheetrock is nailed to the bottom of the joists in that area. (Rest of
basement has drop ceiling with removable tiles).

New linoleum over old linoleum? BCDrums Home Repair 11 June 1st 11 07:43 PM
Linoleum Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 20th 08 11:51 PM
linoleum repair ccs>ikyr Home Repair 8 May 4th 06 02:04 AM
I don't like my linoleum formerly known as 'cat arranger' Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 05:40 AM
Tile over linoleum? Owlman Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 02:05 PM