Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

Default linoleum repair

I've just had my wood floors refinished. Unfortunately, in the
process, the boneheads gouged my linoleum floor and spilled varnish on
it. Does anyone know whether a gouge can be filled? I'm talking here
about real linoleum, not vinyl. Also, the gentle cleaner one is
supposed to use doesn't take varnish off the surface. Any ideas on
that one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

Frankly, I wouldn't let them anywhere near it again and they don't work
with linoleum.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

ccsikyr wrote:
I've just had my wood floors refinished. Unfortunately, in the
process, the boneheads gouged my linoleum floor and spilled varnish on
it. Does anyone know whether a gouge can be filled? I'm talking here
about real linoleum, not vinyl. Also, the gentle cleaner one is
supposed to use doesn't take varnish off the surface. Any ideas on
that one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

I haven't seen linoleum in about 50 years ) Having never repaired it,
I would first try to make the gouge lay flat, if it is displaced, by
GENTLY heating it and pressing it flat. If it is just a small cut, try
acryllic paint mixed to the color of the linoleum to fill the cut. I
dabble in art, so fixing booboo's is something I have a little
experience with.

What kind of varnish? How large an area? If it is oil based, I would
try scrubbing with soft cloth dampened with mineral spirits, and test on
an out of the way area first. Formula 409 is good for water based paint
spills, even after they have dried but not cured completely. The
varnish might soften or bond with the surface finish, so I would be
careful with any attempt at removing it.

Congoleum used to make linoleum, I believe. Here is a link to the
"contact us" link:

http://congoleum.com/questions.php

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cliff Hartle

Linoleum is still made and because of the materials used it has a surface
that kind of has its own natural Micro-Ban(tm) additive. So its very good
for operating room floors.

As for the repair take it up with the flooring refinisher or their insurance
agency. To repair the gouge you would need to cut out the bad section and
put in a matching patch and it will never look right.

As for the varnish spill, linoleum is basically a varnish finish so anything
that would remove the varnish would dissolve the original finish.

"Art" wrote in message
news
I thought linoleum hadn't been made in decades.

"ccsikyr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've just had my wood floors refinished. Unfortunately, in the
process, the boneheads gouged my linoleum floor and spilled varnish on
it. Does anyone know whether a gouge can be filled? I'm talking here
about real linoleum, not vinyl. Also, the gentle cleaner one is
supposed to use doesn't take varnish off the surface. Any ideas on
that one?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ameijers

wrote in message
ups.com...
This doesn't mean that they should not be responsible. I had a new
Furnace installed. The installers dripped some black glue on our
bathroom floor. Without my even asking they had someone out and
replaced the entire bathroom floor with identical flooring.

That is the kind of company I would recommend to others. I don't go ape****
when little accidents like that occur- I grew up in construction, so I know
**** happens. But a good company makes it right. That new floor killed their
profit on your install, but they should make it back on the word-of-mouth
advertising from it.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art

wrote in message
ups.com...
This doesn't mean that they should not be responsible. I had a new
Furnace installed. The installers dripped some black glue on our
bathroom floor. Without my even asking they had someone out and
replaced the entire bathroom floor with identical flooring.

WOW. Since they were a great company apparently, if you want to show them
what a fair person you are, if the floor wasn't almost new you might want to
offer to share the expense since now you have a better floor than you had
before. That would be fair.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ccs>ikyr

The answer is yes, you can repair a linoleum floor. You take a scrap
piece from your installation and a relatively coarse file and make a
pile of pulvarized linoleum. Then add a small amount of wood glue and
use the paste to fill the hole. Getting the color right is a bit
tricky, but since most linoleum has some random variation, you can
probably get close enough. The varnish is actually polyeurethane, and
the floor guy I talked to said we have to live with it and hope it
wears off over time.