formerly known as 'cat arranger'

Default I don't like my linoleum

We put new sheet vinyl in two rooms and a hall and it's
really thin and the edges are coming up. The installer
patched the middle of the floor that had bumps in it and
the splices looked bad and now are coming up. It was
a real bad job, which the company agrees and is willing
to replace at no cost...

My question is whether it would be better to put in tile
that can replaced easier, one when needed, even though
it is glued down, right? I mean the crappy sheets have a
bunch of other rips from things like opening a sleeper bed
and moving a refrigerator.

I installed some self-adhesive tile in 3 bedrooms and like it
a lot, especially compared to the Congoleum, but it isn't
perfect. Sometimes a tile sticks up, etc. but I assume that
a pro installed tile floor would be better than the vinyl sheets...

What say you?

E Gregory

formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
We put new sheet vinyl in two rooms and a hall and it's
really thin and the edges are coming up. The installer
patched the middle of the floor that had bumps in it and
the splices looked bad and now are coming up. It was
a real bad job, which the company agrees and is willing
to replace at no cost...

My question is whether it would be better to put in tile
that can replaced easier, one when needed, even though
it is glued down, right? I mean the crappy sheets have a
bunch of other rips from things like opening a sleeper bed
and moving a refrigerator.

I installed some self-adhesive tile in 3 bedrooms and like it
a lot, especially compared to the Congoleum, but it isn't
perfect. Sometimes a tile sticks up, etc. but I assume that
a pro installed tile floor would be better than the vinyl sheets...

What say you?

I say please don't call vinyl "linoleum".
Matt

I put red shag carpet in my kitchen. It hides crumbs and grease very
well.

Travis Jordan

formerly known as 'cat arranger' wrote:
What say you?

I say ceramic tile over a sound substrate would be much better.

Charlie Bress

Be careful about putting the sticky tiles down. If the sun can hit them they
may shrink a bit and open the joints.

Charlie

"formerly known as 'cat arranger'" wrote
in message news:jONQd.90576$0u.23440@fed1read04...
We put new sheet vinyl in two rooms and a hall and it's
really thin and the edges are coming up. The installer
patched the middle of the floor that had bumps in it and
the splices looked bad and now are coming up. It was
a real bad job, which the company agrees and is willing
to replace at no cost...

My question is whether it would be better to put in tile
that can replaced easier, one when needed, even though
it is glued down, right? I mean the crappy sheets have a
bunch of other rips from things like opening a sleeper bed
and moving a refrigerator.

I installed some self-adhesive tile in 3 bedrooms and like it
a lot, especially compared to the Congoleum, but it isn't
perfect. Sometimes a tile sticks up, etc. but I assume that
a pro installed tile floor would be better than the vinyl sheets...

What say you?

Art

I will never use vinyl flooring again. Removed some 10 year old stuff and
couldn't believe the plastic smell underneath it after 10 years. Must have
been stinking up the house all that time with a vinyl odor that people just
got used to and accepted as normal. We replaced it with laminate after
doing a smell test.

[...]

Dee

Also think twice about using them in a kitchen. We rented a house about 10
years ago that had tile squares in the kitchen. Apparently the folks before
us fried a lot of food and the tiles would squish around because of trapped
grease. Yuck.

Be careful about putting the sticky tiles down. If the sun can hit them

they
may shrink a bit and open the joints.

Linoleum Floor Replacement new house homerownerer Home Repair 1 January 4th 05 09:05 PM
Tile over linoleum? Owlman Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 02:05 PM
Linoleum fabrication process Konstantin Woodworking 14 November 19th 04 12:19 PM
Ceramic tiles over linoleum - Yes/No TX_Dude Home Repair 9 April 16th 04 04:20 AM
Flooring question: parquet over linoleum Oneguy Home Repair 0 July 8th 03 05:38 PM