Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New linoleum over old linoleum?

We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 1:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:
We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

As long as the old linoleum is not coming up loose, and its flat, you
can go right over it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Mikepier wrote:

On May 30, 1:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:
We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

As long as the old linoleum is not coming up loose, and its flat, you
can go right over it.

What's that word? Telegraph? Something like that. Yer s'posta skim coat
the old to make it a flat smooth surface.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 12:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:
We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

you have to get the old surface meticulously clean or any little piece
of dirt will telegraph right thru the new flooring as a bump
Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 30, 5:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 30, 12:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:

We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

you have to get the old surface meticulously clean or any little piece
of dirt will telegraph right thru the new flooring as a bump

geez your far better off to remove all the old surface and start
over.....

less chance of wierd troubles

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 May 2011 10:58:17 -0700 (PDT), BCDrums
wrote:

We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today)

The term I like is vinyl linoleum. Real linoleum is made of linseed
oil. Hence the name.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 May 2011 14:42:49 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On May 30, 5:32*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On May 30, 12:58*pm, BCDrums wrote:

We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

BC
Floored

you have to get the old surface meticulously clean or any little piece
of dirt will telegraph right thru the new flooring as a bump

geez your far better off to remove all the old surface and start
over.....

less chance of wierd troubles

Don't you then have to make the old surface very smooth?

For what it's worth, I put bought vinyl linoleum for my NY apartment
and they were going to deliver and install it the next day. Took out
everything including the sink but there was one 6 square inch hole in
the current real (smooth, not embossed) linoleum floor. No time to go
shopping and the only thing I had was spackle.

I put down spackle and it worked fine for 9 years until I left. I
don't know how long after that. No shadow of the hole showed through.
Even though I walked over this spot to get to my bedroom.
Posted to alt.home.repair

BCDrums wrote:
We have a three-season porch, not insulated, not over a foundation,
but watertight with windows all around. It currently has linoleum (or
vinyl sheet flooring, if that's what it's called today) on the floor
that has been there for 20 years. May I install new linoleum over it?
Or must I remove it?

If I put new over the old, I presume I would have to glue it down,
true?

Thanks.

About a year ago, I had new sheet vinyl flooring installed in the kitchen of
a home that I own that was being redone as was going to be rented out. The
new vinyl went over an old linoleum floor that was in excellent condition.
I used a local flooring company that I had used a number of times in the
past and they did the installation. They used a relatively new type of
adhesive (according to them) to do the glue-down. The adhesive is designed
to allow the new floor to be just peeled up in the future if needed. I
don't remember what the special type of adhesive was called, but they did
say that say that it is rather expensive. Maybe someone here will know
what the adhesive is, or maybe you can check with a local flooring company
near you.

I am not sure if the fact that your porch is not insulated will make any
difference in terms of expansion/contraction etc. with vinyl sheet flooring,
but maybe you could ask a flooring company that one too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2011 17:31:00 -0400, "RogerT"
wrote:

About a year ago, I had new sheet vinyl flooring installed in the
kitchen of a home that I own that was being redone as was going to
be rented out. The new vinyl went over an old linoleum floor that
was in excellent condition. I used a local flooring company that I
had used a number of times in the past and they did the
installation. They used a relatively new type of adhesive
(according to them) to do the glue-down. The adhesive is designed
to allow the new floor to be just peeled up in the future if needed.
I don't remember what the special type of adhesive was called, but
they did say that say that it is rather expensive. Maybe someone
here will know what the adhesive is, or maybe you can check with a
local flooring company near you.

I'd be curious to know what was used for the adhesive. Sounds like
something new.

I did some searching and I think it is called "pressure sensitive adhesive".
I couldn't find the exact brand that the installers used in my case.

Here are a few links with more information:
http://www.thefloorpro.com/community...tive-glue.html
http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/anyone...flooring-2597/ .

And, here is a link to an installation video for Flexitec flooring:
http://vinylflooring.org/movie.html .

The first 13-minute installation video shows how it is installed. Toward
the end of the video, they talk about using the full-floor adhesive method
which is what I had done and which is recommended in larger areas and areas
where appliances may be moved on top of the vinyl (such as my kitchen). In
fact, the adhesive can be applied with a paint roller (recommended, and is
what they did in my case).

In the video, the first Flexitec floor pattern that you see (it looks like
irregularly shaped slate stone) is the pattern that I had installed. It
looks great.

One of the reasons why the flooring company that I used suggested Flexitec
is that my kitchen is slightly bigger than 12 feet in one direction (about
12 feet 4 inches, I think) and 15 feet in the other direction. Flexitec
comes in rolls that are something like 4 meters wide -- which is like 13
feet 2 inch wide rolls. So, they didn't have to do any seams since 16 feet
of one 4-meter wide roll would cover the whole floor in one piece. All of
the other manufacturers that I could find only sold their products in 12
foot wide rolls. I think Flexitec is manufactured in Europe where they use
the metric system for flooring.

Linoleum Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 3 March 20th 08 11:51 PM
wanted, linoleum [email protected] Home Repair 5 January 5th 07 11:28 PM
linoleum in basement [email protected] Home Repair 1 August 19th 05 02:36 AM
I don't like my linoleum formerly known as 'cat arranger' Home Repair 6 February 17th 05 05:40 AM
Tile over linoleum? Owlman Home Repair 5 December 24th 04 02:05 PM