Owlman

Default Tile over linoleum?

We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

SQLit

"Owlman" wrote in message
We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Movement? I would be concerned about that. Cracks are entirely different.

I would remove the old floor, prep the concrete. Patch the crack, (assuming
again), then the mud for the new tile.

EggRaid

"Owlman" wrote in message
We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hey Owlman, no disrepect, but this topic has been covered HUNDREDS of times
here. Simply go to Google and search the news group from there...I bet you
find your answer.

Er

effi

"Owlman" wrote in message
We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

from http://floorstransformed.com/installnotes.html

Installing Tile Over Vinyl Or Linoleum Floor Coverings

Installing ceramic tile directly to vinyl or linoleum surfaces should be
avoided whenever possible. Install at your own risk.

If you are concerned that your vinyl or linoleum flooring may contain
asbestos fibers we recommend that you have it tested before attempting to
remove it. For more information on asbestos, please refer to Asbestos In
Your Home provided by the EPA.

In any case, vinyl or linoleum flooring must be a non-cushioned type and
securely attached to the subfloor. Subfloor construction should consist of
double layered, 1-1/8" thick, exterior grade plywood installed over floor
joists spaced a maximum of 16" on center. The maximum allowable concentrated
deflection of the subfloor may not exceed L/360 of the span.

If the floor covering does not contain asbestos fibers we recommend that the
surface be scarified or sanded to provide a rougher surface for the thinset
mortar to bond to.

Install ceramic tile using a latex modified thinset mortar approved by the
manufacturer for installation over vinyl and linoleum surfaces.

cm

As long as the vinyl is securly glued down it will make a great barrier
between the cement cracks and the tile. I worked for a builder that
installed vinyl before he installed tile and cut his "call backs" by 90%+-!
I have also installed tile over vinyl several times and have had no
problems, including in my own home. If the vinyl is loose near the edges you
can just cut these areas out. The tile mastic that is used to glue the tile
down will fill in the removed areas.

AZCRAIG

www.azcraig.us

"Owlman" wrote in message
We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

PJX

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 14:55:51 -0800, Owlman wrote:

We're getting ready to tile our kitchen with large (16x16") porcelain
tiles. Our current linoleum floor is installed over a concrete slab.
We have had movement (cracks) on that slab and I was wondering if
installing the tile over the linoleum is a good idea. I thought
perhaps it might help in providing a base for the tile in case of
additional movement.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I agree with you. The linoleum will absorb some of the movement
before it cracks the tile. And it is a real labor saver!